League 1 - Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

5th Time Lucky?

Town Win
86%
Dons Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 14

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs AFC Wimbledon Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:44 pm

Great covering by Donacien, good job he found his shirt. Keeper looks a bit nervy.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:47 pm

Now Coulson injured!

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:48 pm

Just got Home from Work. The Noise coming from Ground is amazing.

lucy

Post by lucy » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 pm

:twisted: :twisted:

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:55 pm

What do we have to do to win a game :roll:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Noooooo

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:56 pm

lucy wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:48 pm
Just got Home from Work. The Noise coming from Ground is amazing.
Not any more

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:58 pm

Bit of a theme going on now isn't there. Good chance to win EVERY SINGLE GAME this season and we've not got over the line in any of them. As soon as it was 2-1 I felt that if there was to be another goal it would only ever be 2-2.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Aug 28, 2021 4:58 pm

We’ve looked very shaky defending corners. For me that’s two points thrown away. We need to learn how to control a game from a 2-0 lead. So disappointing as we were definitely hanging on from their first goal onwards.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:07 pm

Defensively f**king shocking, I've been defending the keeper but he is woeful too, forget this season, we are a soft touch and we haven't even played anyone yet. Mid table at best.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:13 pm

No team has conceeded as many as Town this season, it needs to be sorted out before there is pressure on Cook (or some sh*t like that). We now know we can score, we have the opposite problem to last year, an easier one to solve? Perhaps... Probably.

Last season we conceeded 46 goals, if we carry on at this rate this season it will be 92 goals! 1 goals a game vs 2 a game.

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:38 pm

Going to get my head shot off but its strikingly clear we have no leader

We need a leader especially at the back. Here we go wait for the verbal's but we need somebody in the Chambers mode. Somebody to get hold of this defence and shake it up

We didn't finish where we did last season because of conceding goals, It was up the other end. This season we leak more than a sieve.

We are so shaky especially at set pieces, Maybe George Edmundson will shore the defence because we cannot carry on like this

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:44 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:38 pm

We need a leader especially at the back. Here we go wait for the verbal's but we need somebody in the Chambers mode. Somebody to get hold of this defence and shake it up

We didn't finish where we did last season because of conceding goals, It was up the other end. This season we leak more than a sieve.

We are so shaky especially at set pieces, Maybe George Edmundson will shore the defence because we cannot carry on like this
You are spot on! Lacking that organiser, hopefully Burges can do that though as I thought he was meant to be more of a leader. I do wonder if we need a solid experienced DMC, I was hoping evans was that player.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:47 pm

Steve and Jo wrote:
I don't see how anyone would really dissagree with that? I guess with a new bunch of players it takes time for leaders to emerge. You'd be a bit of a d*ck if you came in to a new club and immediately started strutting about like you owned the place and ordering your teamates around, not a good way to make friends and gain support!

Now on to more important matters, does anyone have anything to say that would make me feel better??

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:55 pm

Ricco wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 5:47 pm
Steve and Jo wrote:
I don't see how anyone would really dissagree with that? I guess with a new bunch of players it takes time for leaders to emerge. You'd be a bit of a d*ck if you came in to a new club and immediately started strutting about like you owned the place and ordering your teamates around, not a good way to make friends and gain support!

Now on to more important matters, does anyone have anything to say that would make me feel better??
Sorry but true leaders don't need time, it's in them. Don't need to be a captain but need to sort players out. Last minute in a game corner. They have 7 in the and around the six yard box. They more or less bundled it in. No Ipswich player looked like they would get there. For years seen Chambers throw himself in front to block or get a challenge in. It's all too rather easy for opposition and when I meant by shot for mentioning Chambers name.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:27 pm

I get the anger and disappointment. I do. However, I am still really optimistic. The defence is a mess. We can all see that. But it's a problem that can and will be solved. Defensive cohesion was always going to be the last piece of the jigsaw. Once it is sorted we will be fine. We are playing a good style of football and we are dangerous going forward. Keep the faith.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:49 pm

JOHN DEERE wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:27 pm
I get the anger and disappointment. I do. However, I am still really optimistic. The defence is a mess. We can all see that. But it's a problem that can and will be solved. Defensive cohesion was always going to be the last piece of the jigsaw. Once it is sorted we will be fine. We are playing a good style of football and we are dangerous going forward. Keep the faith.
Lots of folks losing the plot but 41 games to go. Brand new side. Nov/Dec is time to start looking at where Town are IMO.
Should in reality be 6 if not more points better off.
For me if Town go up it was always thro play offs. Can't see Town being in top 2

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 6:49 pm

Well Pc says that at least 3 players could be in by Tuesday deadline, he says a new GK, a RB, and a midfielder, a keeper yes, RB ??? I'll pass on that one, but a midfielder?? well PC he had better be of Captain material, I'm with Ricco we need a true leader someone to boss that defence someone like Mowbray was, so PC Get your F*****G finger out and bring that leader in PRONTO

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:12 pm

Well here’s my twopence worth…..
We are shooting ourselves in the foot week after week. Our defence is weak , at best.

DEFENCE:
Hladky - is NOT good enough. He doesn’t c9me off his line , ever. Has absolutely no presence in that box at all. It’s like we don’t have a goalkeeper in the side. I’d be putting Holy back in goal and be seriously looking for another GK .

The sooner we team Burgess : Edmunson at CB the better. Woolfie is a car crash waiting to happen every week. He only eve4 needs to make one mistake per game to usually cost us a goal. He nearly did it again today. For me I think his confidence is low now due to all the unforced errors over recent games, and he rarely today put on a meaningful challenge. That was left to Coulson and a Burgess to execute, because Woolfie definitely wasn’t !

Left back / Right backs look sorted ( Coulson ahead of Penney for me anyway ), and KVY is getting back to his best ,but special mention to Donacian, who never lets us down when he comes into the team, IMO?

MIDFIELD:

Sorry but I don’t rate Evans. He’s certainly not a captain out there, and for me he gives the ball away too frequently, usually when our high pressing play sees most of the team up the pitch and is getting caught on the break.

For me we simply do not have a ball winning , commanding defensive midfielder. I’d have Carroll in there, possible sat in front of our weak back line for the next game.

Our midfield doesn’t impose itself on the game anywhere near enough.

STRIKERS:

Bonne was missed today . Piggott still hasn’t found his feet at the Club yet, and appears to need a stroke partner to get the best out of him. He appeared isolated for a lot of the game today and had p*ss poor service to feet tbh

Overall it’s our defence , ( or total lack of it centrally and goalkeeper issue), that has cost us so dear this season. Paul Cook needs to sort this out ASAP or this season will be a dead rubber as far as any hope of promotion prospects goes. Our foot ball is lovely to watch and when in full flow we look like we will annihilate the opposition….but then we throw the game away with the usual 10/10 for total f*ck up ability.

It’s only 5 games into the new season, but ridiculously it may be starting to get squeaky bum time for PC if things don’t start to change. Daft state of affairs I know but that’s the game these days. Managers get no time.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:20 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:12 pm
Well here’s my twopence worth…..
We are shooting ourselves in the foot week after week. Our defence is weak , at best.

DEFENCE:
Hladky - is NOT good enough. He doesn’t c9me off his line , ever. Has absolutely no presence in that box at all. It’s like we don’t have a goalkeeper in the side. I’d be putting Holy back in goal and be seriously looking for another GK .

The sooner we team Burgess : Edmunson at CB the better. Woolfie is a car crash waiting to happen every week. He only eve4 needs to make one mistake per game to usually cost us a goal. He nearly did it again today. For me I think his confidence is low now due to all the unforced errors over recent games, and he rarely today put on a meaningful challenge. That was left to Coulson and a Burgess to execute, because Woolfie definitely wasn’t !

Left back / Right backs look sorted ( Coulson ahead of Penney for me anyway ), and KVY is getting back to his best ,but special mention to Donacian, who never lets us down when he comes into the team, IMO?

MIDFIELD:

Sorry but I don’t rate Evans. He’s certainly not a captain out there, and for me he gives the ball away too frequently, usually when our high pressing play sees most of the team up the pitch and is getting caught on the break.

For me we simply do not have a ball winning , commanding defensive midfielder. I’d have Carroll in there, possible sat in front of our weak back line for the next game.

Our midfield doesn’t impose itself on the game anywhere near enough.

STRIKERS:

Bonne was missed today . Piggott still hasn’t found his feet at the Club yet, and appears to need a stroke partner to get the best out of him. He appeared isolated for a lot of the game today and had p*ss poor service to feet tbh

Overall it’s our defence , ( or total lack of it centrally and goalkeeper issue), that has cost us so dear this season. Paul Cook needs to sort this out ASAP or this season will be a dead rubber as far as any hope of promotion prospects goes. Our foot ball is lovely to watch and when in full flow we look like we will annihilate the opposition….but then we throw the game away with the usual 10/10 for total f*ck up ability.

It’s only 5 games into the new season, but ridiculously it may be starting to get squeaky bum time for PC if things don’t start to change. Daft state of affairs I know but that’s the game these days. Managers get no time.
Surprised at Hladkey, seems to be struggling a bit atm. Was a fine keeper at St Mirren and Salford. Not coming of his line wasn't something he was guilty of so maybe lacking a bit of confidence. Hopefully gets back on track. Cook knows the quality of Hladkey.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:24 am

Good post Hallum, sums it up well, if paints the picture a little on the dark side.

We have to accept not all of these signings will be what we hoped for, but as everyone says it’s the defence that’s killing us now.

Yesterday was a real low point for me, I felt we really needed that win to avoid a further confidence hit and just get us up and running. Already the big hitters in this league are racking points up so our play off chances get harder by the game. I know it’s a long season but we are now in the relegation zone so it’s already some way to reach the top 6.
We will also need to take points off the bigger teams now - these first games really are hard to take getting only 3 points from.

Of course it’s early days in the new era, and long term I’m sure we will get there but this seasons hopes are reducing week by week now. We have harder games coming up where draws wouldn’t have been terrible results if we could get that win today and would mean less pressure on the players and manager, but now we need wins from those games and that wont be easy - especially now confidence will be further dented.

We know the reasons we are struggling and we certainly seem to be making our own bad luck, on paper these players have the quality to do very well it’s just getting a tune out of them, even our average players will be more than ok for this league if we can just get them playing at their ability - then the better players can add that extra quality needed to win games. We are just lacking as a team right now.

Let’s cool our expectations a little and just accept it will take time, the club is being pushed along in the right direction now and the only bit missing is results - which long term will come if everything else is in place.

This forum is great and most of the comments are level headed and sensible. Let’s back this team and this manager and at least enjoy the fact we are playing better/more exciting football now. (Although I’d take a dire 1-0 win now) ;)

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 am

Just throwing this out there, as i have only watched the Cheltenham game on i-follow, but should any of our defensive weakness be aimed at our midfield? Certainly Evans has made mistakes, but if (as happened with Burton i believe) teams break quickly on us, should we not at least have a defensive midfielder lying deeper and stemming that tide? I think the likes of Gallas (might be thinking about wrong player) used to do a fantastic DM role for Chelsea and was absolutely pivotal in their defensive strength, by helping to prevent teams building up a head of steam.
I know Wolfenden's mistakes and Penney giving away a penalty have given away a high proportion of our goals, but have we not been helped by being left exposed by the team playing too high?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:30 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Aug 29, 2021 9:58 am
Just throwing this out there, as i have only watched the Cheltenham game on i-follow, but should any of our defensive weakness be aimed at our midfield? Certainly Evans has made mistakes, but if (as happened with Burton i believe) teams break quickly on us, should we not at least have a defensive midfielder lying deeper and stemming that tide? I think the likes of Gallas (might be thinking about wrong player) used to do a fantastic DM role for Chelsea and was absolutely pivotal in their defensive strength, by helping to prevent teams building up a head of steam.
I know Wolfenden's mistakes and Penney giving away a penalty have given away a high proportion of our goals, but have we not been helped by being left exposed by the team playing too high?
Yes, I do think the midfield is a problem. The way we play, those two deep midfielders have a big job to protect our defence. I thought Harper gave the ball away too often. And we didn’t control the tempo of the game that well. If we’re on the front foot, then absolutely throw players forward, but there’s times in the game where we need to slow it down and frustrate the opposition for a period. Like when we’re 2-0 up. Conceded within 2 minutes. If we’d held out for a bit, Wimbledon would be getting frustrated and their heads would go down.
We can hopefully work on individual mistakes, but we need someone like Evans to control things better. We can’t go 100% full on for 90 minutes and there’s always time when the opposition have their time on the ball.

It’s great watching Town really going for it, but it’ll never come of all the time and, too often, we get exposed when a move breaks down.
At the moment, any team feels they’re still in the game. I remember when we got ‘thrashed’ 2-0 by the likes of Rotherham and even though the scoreline doesn’t look too bad, those teams squeezed the game and beasted us and we had little chance in getting back.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Aug 29, 2021 10:40 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:12 pm
They don't Liz - but some managers don't seem to need much, do they?

PC has had 22 games now, and achieved just 4 wins, we're not going to get promoted like that and I think it's only a matter of days or weeks before the owners start asking serious questions

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:03 pm

Had a chance to calm down, was fuming at 5pm yesterday. Yes it is very early days and things are easily corrected, for a start we have to get Edmundson in alongside Burgess who I thought for the most part looked good, he's also a bit of a talker which I like.

For me Coulsen was our best player, very impressive defensively and going forward, when he's fully fit he'll be a great asset, KVY too looks to be approaching his best.

I was defending Hladky to the hilt until yesterday and yes he does look very dodgy and incapable of coming for anything played into the box but let's be fair here, the guy has played with Four different defensive pairings in Five games and that will change again soon. He didn't keep 24 clean sheets last season by luck and was top of virtually every goalkeeping stat whilst winning the Golden Gloves award, several clubs wanted to sign him, he hasn't just become a bad keeper overnight, I'm prepared to give him time and for me is way better than Holy.

The Midfield needs to take some of the blame , yesterday Evans for me was better than Harper but both are guilty of dropping and playing too deep, severe times in the first half the ball fell invitingly on the edge of their box and we had nobody pushed forward enough in a central position to take advantage, they both sat deep, they are both good players but need to get an understanding where one sits deep and the Other pushes forward.

Going forward we have no problem, Edwards, Burns, Fraser, Pigott, Bonne all bring something to the table and all are different, I think Pigott would benefit from a small player up alongside him and for me Chaplin will be that man.

All is not lost but already we have a big job on our hands to claw back the points we've already fallen behind, it needs a good run of wins and we are capable, Edmundson for me is the key.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Aug 29, 2021 1:36 pm

Tried to get commentary while game was at it's early stages but to no avail. After numerous attempts gave up and put time to other use. Didn't get final score until match was over and viewed highlights of what occurred with it.

first reaction, allowing a 2 - 0 lead to slip and victory evade us was real disappointing. Particularly with the time they scored their second. We appear to be playing better than before you know, with Hurst and Lambert for example but can't find a win or not focusing for enough time over the 90 minutes.

Said before Cook's position appears to be safe as long as the team gets a point here and there without actual victory and the team at least makes a go of it and shows enough determination. Problem is it's five games in and no wins and look at the caliber of teams we've played thus far, all rather small or less established sides of the league. What happenes when we play off against the heavyweights of the division, that leaves a question.

people say give it time for the players to gel and learn to play together but lends the issue how much time do you allow.

A drop into league two is unthinkable and while sure it won't come to pass it's obvious we're falling behind while still in August and the gap between ourselves at the leading pack can or will become ever more widespread so long as no victories continue to come the team's way.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Aug 30, 2021 3:04 am

2-2 is better than losing 2-0. I’ll reiterate, sort defense…win…get out of this Micky Mouse league. I’m tired of telling stupid Americans that I support ITFC.

“Ipswich?! I haven’t heard of them. Oh wait, that’s the team that got beat 9-0 by ManU .”

Yeah that’s the one, f*ck off!