Our squad then…..

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Our squad then…..

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:56 am

Now that the window is shut is everybody happy with the squad? I’d have liked to shift a little more deadwood otherwise it’s the best we’ve had in a long while. We need to win some games now 😬

Goalkeepers
Walton
Hladky
Holy

Defenders
Vincent Young
Edmondson
Burgess
Woolfenden
Nsaila
Penny
Coulson
Donacien

Midfielders
Morsy
Evans
Harper
Carroll
Nolan
El Mizouni

Forwards
Burns
Fraser
Chaplin
Edwards
Barry
Bonne
Pigott
Celina
Aluko
Norwood
Jackson

AzzurroMark

Re: Our squad then…..

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:56 am
Now that the window is shut is everybody happy with the squad? I’d have liked to shift a little more deadwood otherwise it’s the best we’ve had in a long while. We need to win some games now 😬

Goalkeepers
Walton
Hladky
Holy

Defenders
Vincent Young
Edmondson
Burgess
Woolfenden
Nsaila
Penny
Coulson
Donacien

Midfielders
Morsy
Evans
Harper
Carroll
Nolan
El Mizouni

Forwards
Burns
Fraser
Chaplin
Edwards
Barry
Bonne
Pigott
Celina
Aluko
Norwood
Jackson
Got to say i am very happy with what we have got. This is potentially the best squad we have had in 20 years, with a strong player for almost every position, along with reasonable back up. Lookiing at the core of OUR players, once again, all areas looking good, and i believe if the season is successful (promotion being what i class as succesful), some of the loan players will be likely to stay on and bolster a decent Championship side. Certainly if Bonne carries on in the current vein, i think he is a much better all-round (queue Marko with a Greggs-eating comment :lol:) prospect than Norwood. I think Barrie will be in Villa's long term plans so will not be in that picture. Cleverly we have only offered one year contracts to Aluko and Carroll, both capable players in their own rights, but fitness could be a factor there, certainly with the former who i am not totally convinced by the signing of, except for his experience!

I believe the deadwood players will be gone in (or before if paid up) January. While Jackson has made cameo appearances, i don't think he fits the system. Like Kenlock, a Papa John's Trophy starter at best.

PC ' main issue now is finding the perfect recipe of players, but boy has he got some attacking flair to juggle with

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:45 am

I think Burns, Fraser, Celina, Barry and Aluko are regarded more as Midfielders but even so our options going forward are ridiculous, given our injury history this will be crucial. Just where do we fit them all in !! Picking a starting Eleven is difficult but here goes for Bolton....

Walton

KVY Edmundson Burgess Coulsen

Morsy

Burns Harper Fraser Edwards

Pigott

Bench..
Hladky
Woolfenden
Evans
Bonne
Donacien
Celina
Chaplin

It's ridiculous the strength in depth we now have.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:53 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:45 am
I think Burns, Fraser, Celina, Barry and Aluko are regarded more as Midfielders but even so our options going forward are ridiculous, given our injury history this will be crucial. Just where do we fit them all in !! Picking a starting Eleven is difficult but here goes for Bolton....

Walton

KVY Edmundson Burgess Coulsen

Morsy

Burns Harper Fraser Edwards

Pigott

Bench..
Hladky
Woolfenden
Evans
Bonne
Donacien
Celina
Chaplin

It's ridiculous the strength in depth we now have.
Yep, like the look of that. Hopefully Morsy's red card will be rescinded, as i feel he will be the captain going forward. I think his addition will mean Evans has to up his levels! Not that he isn't a quality player, but sometimes when you are a virtual nailed on starter (as he has been) with no need to keep looking over your shoulder, then perhaps performance levels can (and have) dropped, from those expected. After all, many of us had him down as the most pivotal player in our team, and at his best, rightly so.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:29 am

I don't think Evans has been that bad tbh, just an error or Two has crept in , after all he made the second goal Saturday with his interception and pass to KVY, it went unnoticed by many.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:31 am

I think the squad is too big, maybe it needs to be because no one has a place nailed on, perhaps it's more of a trial year to refine and distill the best team and squad out of it. There seems to be about 600 forwards at the club, only an estimate as I lost count, but it's a lot!

Just from hearing Cook speak before the season about squad sizes, I am surprised, it's harder for a large group to click, there are more pieces to the puzzle and it's harder to keep them all happy and build a strong team spirit, it's also more tempting to chop and change. But the quality is far superior to anything we've been used to for a long time and the style and quality of football that comes with that will be entertaining. Defensively... we'll see!!!

EDIT: I guess you could remove Jackson and perhaps Norward as unwanted, but even then it's a touch too many. Perhaps if they knew that they would be able to land Morsy and Celina, then one or two of the early window players would not have been signed, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh.
Last edited by Ricco on Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:36 am

Yeah I think Cook said he wanted 20-22 players, that list numbers 28, I expect he was hoping to offload the likes of Jackson, Holy, Nolan, Nsiala& Donacien when he made that statement, The latter Two have performed well thus season and the others are unwanted by anyone for various reasons, I think Carroll was a signing he wasn't originally looking to make too but injuries dictate I guess.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:35 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:31 am
I think the squad is too big, maybe it needs to be because no one has a place nailed on, perhaps it's more of a trial year to refine and distill the best team and squad out of it. There seems to be about 600 forwards at the club, only an estimate as I lost count, but it's a lot!

Just from hearing Cook speak before the season about squad sizes, I am surprised, it's harder for a large group to click, there are more pieces to the puzzle and it's harder to keep them all happy and build a strong team spirit, it's also more tempting to chop and change. But the quality is far superior to anything we've been used to for a long time and the style and quality of football that comes with that will be entertaining. Defensively... we'll see!!!

EDIT: I guess you could remove Jackson and perhaps Norward as unwanted, but even then it's a touch too many. Perhaps if they knew that they would be able to land Morsy and Celina, then one or two of the early window players would not have been signed, so maybe I'm being a bit harsh.
Yes, it does seem too big, but we’ve got to start somewhere. I think in January we’ll see a lot of players go. Not only deadwood, but maybe some ‘marquee’ signings. I think some of these won’t even make the bench and won’t be happy.
Would we have signed Aluko or Barry or Carroll if we’d signed Edwards, Celina or Morsy first? I’d imagine Cook will try and get a settled side ASAP and there’ll be useful deadwood.
If Morsy, Edmundson and Walton can make an immediate difference then it could be all that’s needed to get us winning.

I think Evans will get the first nod ahead of Harper to play alongside Morsi as they’ve played together under Cook. Having Morsi take the captaincy might take the pressure of Evans.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:54 pm

That's interesting Tang cus I was thinking the other way with Harper getting the nod over Evans, that is going to be a tough call, if Morsy's Red card is not overturned the next Three games could be decisive.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm

Interesting …

I’d say Ashton and Cookie have done their homework…

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... it-8287918

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:56 pm

Yep they seem to have got it bang on

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:09 pm

That is a seriously strong squad for this division. I think the slow start to the campaign will be a distant memory by January.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm
Interesting …

This is interesting from that article.

” Clubs are also required to name at least one ‘club-developed player’ on their squad list or in a matchday 18. Luke Woolfenden, who came through the Blues’ academy, is the only club-developed player who will be included on the list for the coming season. “

Maybe Woolf is useful to us and could be the reason he gets the nod ahead of Toto.
Last edited by Tangfastic on Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 1:54 pm
That's interesting Tang cus I was thinking the other way with Harper getting the nod over Evans, that is going to be a tough call, if Morsy's Red card is not overturned the next Three games could be decisive.
I actually thought Harper got caught in position quite often during the previous game in dangerous positions, but he got away with it. I like both Evans and Harper, but Evans has been called out for a couple of costly mistakes and he’s the skipper. But I think next to Morsy it might ease the pressure on him. But won’t be too bothered if Harper gets the nod. Decent competition at last.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 pm

Morsy's Red Card appeal rejected

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 6:33 pm
Morsy's Red Card appeal rejected

The strange workings of the EFL, especially given his transfer which should not really penalise the new club holding his registration

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 pm

Disagree with that Charnwood. The player needs the punishment. Otherwise you’ll have end of season leg breakers all over the shop with players “crunching in” knowing theyre going elsewhere.

Ok, extreme example, ( :lol: ) but their cards should follow them to the next club.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 01, 2021 11:49 pm

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:17 pm
Disagree with that Charnwood. The player needs the punishment. Otherwise you’ll have end of season leg breakers all over the shop with players “crunching in” knowing theyre going elsewhere.

Ok, extreme example, ( :lol: ) but their cards should follow them to the next club.
Agreed if it’s that clear cut Marko, but as I understand Morsy’s Red card was marginal in which case the new club maybe shouldn’t be the one penalised. The player isn’t penalised but the new club is, the player simply has a few days extra paid leave.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 pm

See what you're saying but again “clear cut” comes down to interpretation. Obviously a second yellow for maybe handball is different to daylight maiming, (i get that)……… but a punishment is a punishment. Just keep it. No grey area. 🤷‍♂️ The club KNOW he’s out for first game (or 2 games) prior to bidding.
Just keeps things easy, in my opinion of course.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:03 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:02 pm
See what you're saying but again “clear cut” comes down to interpretation. Obviously a second yellow for maybe handball is different to daylight maiming, (i get that)……… but a punishment is a punishment. Just keep it. No grey area. 🤷‍♂️ The club KNOW he’s out for first game (or 2 games) prior to bidding.
Just keeps things easy, in my opinion of course.
That's the critical point. Keep it simple.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Sep 03, 2021 8:36 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:18 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:09 pm
Interesting …

This is interesting from that article.

” Clubs are also required to name at least one ‘club-developed player’ on their squad list or in a matchday 18. Luke Woolfenden, who came through the Blues’ academy, is the only club-developed player who will be included on the list for the coming season. “

Maybe Woolf is useful to us and could be the reason he gets the nod ahead of Toto.
I think this is probably why Woolfie has been persevered with by Cook in many way . Big like the PL clubs do with UK born players , we’ve got our “ token” academy bred player in the squad ( ticking the box) . I have no doubt in my mind that once Burgess and Edmundson team up that’ll be it for Woolfie unless injuries occur . Then I’ll see him with Toto as a pairing.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:15 am

It's unbelievable the squad we have now who would have thought that a few months ago and so many players with Championship experience, now they need to perform COYB.