Mark Ashton interview

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Kerry Blue

Mark Ashton interview

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:14 pm

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_ ... %2As%2As-R

Very interesting it seems some players have taken wage cuts to play for Town

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Mark Ashton interview

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:13 am

It bloody should be

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:37 am

Well if was we wouldn’t now have Celina, or Morsy …” they won’t happen I can tell you now “ :lol: :lol:

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:40 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:37 am
Well if was we wouldn’t now have Celina, or Morsy …” they won’t happen I can tell you now “ :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 am

It was reverse psychology but you'll wish I was right where Celina is concerned

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:51 pm

If you view the OTIB fan site there's a whole multi-page devoted to it. Seems getting rid of Ashton was the best thing to happen over there since Kingdom Brunel set to work. Guessing they're in a better position than us to provide opinion.

Do hope its a case of what fails at one club works for another. Would be good to prove them wrong and Ashton reveals to be a standout success but its far too premature to be getting ahead of oneselves. One last time the issue of having new CEO, Owners, Team and essentially manager with it is a big gamble to take on. Not being pessimistic just putting any and all risk factors to it.

I DO want this to work, as much as the next, only all that has taken place the last few weeks seems a little bewildering , for one use of expression.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:07 am
It was reverse psychology but you'll wish I was right where Celina is concerned
Creme egg says he’s gonna be a hit 😁👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:09 pm

saint jude wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:51 pm
If you view the OTIB fan site there's a whole multi-page devoted to it. Seems getting rid of Ashton was the best thing to happen over there since Kingdom Brunel set to work. Guessing they're in a better position than us to provide opinion.

Do hope its a case of what fails at one club works for another. Would be good to prove them wrong and Ashton reveals to be a standout success but its far too premature to be getting ahead of oneselves. One last time the issue of having new CEO, Owners, Team and essentially manager with it is a big gamble to take on. Not being pessimistic just putting any and all risk factors to it.

I DO want this to work, as much as the next, only all that has taken place the last few weeks seems a little bewildering , for one use of expression.
Ashton doesn’t recruit players in isolation though does he . He works with the manager . So what if BCFC identified the wrong type of player or the manager said he wanted “X” player(s), Ashton goes and recruits who the manager has said he wants and it’s not worked out for whatever reason…. Whose fault is it ?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:53 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:09 pm
saint jude wrote:

Ashton doesn’t recruit players in isolation though does he . He works with the manager . So what if BCFC identified the wrong type of player or the manager said he wanted “X” player(s), Ashton goes and recruits who the manager has said he wants and it’s not worked out for whatever reason…. Whose fault is it ?
You ain't helping with that possible eventuality scenario, Hallam.
You’ve just flung Cookie under the bus! :lol:

But you aren’t totally accurate. Watch Sunderland Til I Die, both parts, …… you’ll see these CEO’s have heaps of influence on who comes through the door. Both Chris Coleman & Jack Ross at times had no control whatsoever.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
saint jude wrote:

The thing I can't work out is who is driving this massive recruitment project. Is it Cook, in which case he has recruited far more the small squad he said he wanted, or is it Ashton following at BCFC trait of buying & selling numerous players thereby burdening Cook with more he wants. The debate on tbe BS3 site makes a worthwhile read.

Are Ashton & Cook singing from the same page? I obviously hope so & that it works out for ITFC and especially us fans.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:20 pm

Yep, Barmy.

Talking stops really now eh?

Over to the players. Lets see the soccer “talk”.

Hopefully words like “infrastructure” can FK OFF and the fans can see some FOOTBALL.

Get on with it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:51 pm

It was cook driving the recruitment and Ashton making it happen, Ashton said so, cooks players, cooks Neck.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Sep 02, 2021 6:50 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 5:13 pm
hallamblue wrote:
saint jude wrote:

The thing I can't work out is who is driving this massive recruitment project. Is it Cook, in which case he has recruited far more the small squad he said he wanted, or is it Ashton following at BCFC trait of buying & selling numerous players thereby burdening Cook with more he wants. The debate on tbe BS3 site makes a worthwhile read.

Are Ashton & Cook singing from the same page? I obviously hope so & that it works out for ITFC and especially us fans.
There’s quite a few players brought in who’ve played under Cook. Morsy, Evans, Chaplin, Walton. He’s got to have a lot of influence. He’s plays a certain style and it would be pointless if someone else over-ruled him.He couldn’t get the last squad firing - so why would you buy players in that he doesn’t want?
Harper, Edwards and Barry have West Brom connections which makes me think O’Leary and Ashton have an influence - but does it matter if they identify a certain player and then run it by Cook?
The only one I wonder about is Celina. I wonder if he’s seen as the big marquee signing to bring in the fans.

I hope we do sell players. It means they’re doing well enough and improving us to be on a radar of a bigger club. Then we get the best price and have another player lined up. It’s better than stockpiling mediocre players who we can’t get rid of, like under ME.