League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Is this the first win of the season coming up?

Ipswich Win
86%
Bolton Win
14%
Draw
No votes

Total votes: 22

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Ipswich Town vs Bolton Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:59 pm

If he's not worried he's a prat, he should be very worried, and not blaming the players,? So its ok for KVY to concede a penalty so pathetic you wouldn't even see it in a school playground match, not gonna lie, I'm starting to worry about Cook.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Unless Hladkey is injured then i have to question the man management of him. Not even on the bench today. Compare it to Ancelloti's handling of Pickford thro hard time.
Had my doubts about Cook's approach since he came in.
He has been excellant coach elsewhere so more than prepared to give him the time to get it right.

Marvinbay1973

Post by Marvinbay1973 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:13 pm

Another crap manager ?
I cannot believe we have appointed another flop if it proves to be the case.
In hindsight Mick has been the best of the crop in this awful run of seasons.
I really don’t know what to say, I have been encouraged with what I have seen in terms of creating more chances this season although I couldn’t make it today.
Too many new players ( a whole new team ) perhaps. ?

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:14 pm

You know what, its a drubbing but tbh I think we needed it, will give us a much needed kick up the rear.

PC has had a bad week in more ways than one, he knows he has to turn it around and fast, I personally think he will do this next game.

We have to travel to Lincoln who are in good form, I may be stupid but I think we will get a win and hopefully boost in morale and push on.

I could get irate but where will that get me? got to be positive and give them our backing, things are going to get better soon.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:17 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 6:39 pm
When you actually think about it though......., If Mick himself wasn't such a f**king snowflake and rode on through the "numbskulls" abuse, the club may not be in this position. What......, a few K out of 22K hurling abuse......., or the TWTD crew? Huffy b*stard. Probably goes in a mood when he hears or reads the "C" word. He should've stuck to his guns at ITFC.

Saying that......, the guns were locked in Mevans bank account.
Aye MM is a snowflake.
Mon the Hearts, imagine using the 'C' word

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:59 pm

Starting to really believe that this club is cursed! Just can't really believe all this to be honest. I usually don't like breaks, but I thought it would be a great opportunity to get the new defence working together, working through tactics and communication etc and then something like that happens... scarcely believable.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:16 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:17 pm
Mon the Hearts,
That'd really be the cherry on the cake for a "C" word of a weekend.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:52 pm

Tbh I’m bloody speechless after that today .

I don’t know where this is going to end up ….

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:31 pm

Each loss is harder to take now, especially when it doesn’t appear we were the better team like we often have been in previous defeats/draws.
I fear this loss could really damage the morale now. I’d be tempted to go full strength for tuesdays game just to try and get a morale boosting win.

It’s incredibly hard to take as we are all fans wanting the best for our club, but we need to try and step back and see this as a new era, hopefully the next ten years will be better than the last 10 but it might take some pain before it gets better.

We can all agree that on paper we have a better squad than last year - so worst case we have to reset the manager and start again but it would at least be starting off with a good collection of talent. I really hope that doesn’t Happen as I like Cook and really want him to be a success here, but we have everything slowly coming into place to make the club successful again and we must be grateful for this even though on the pitch we are hurting badly.

Let’s try and stick together - back the manager and the players - give them a little time.

We all have high hopes for this season and of course that quickly beings to ebb away each week as we keep failing to win, but this new era is a long term thing and we need to be patient as it can’t always start smoothly when you are rebuilding a club.

Let’s stick together and hope for brighter days ahead.

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:35 pm

I know that today was p*ss poor but I for one will be giving this central defensive partnership and GK a few games before condemning them completely as they are clearly supposed to be the preferred starting players and have only had one game together so far. I know that the G word is unpopular on this forum but much of this team still haven't had time to get used to playing with each other (although after today it was tempting to refer to them as a bunch of people who play with themselves!).

What I really hope is that we don't overly rotate the squad and muck about with the line ups for midweek games. Not having time to g** properly is one of the last excuses PS has.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 pm

Dropping Valclav "box of" Hankys in favour of Walton isn't helping with the G word.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:57 pm

Think a lesson on how "Polls" work is required.

3 Bolton votes! :lol: Love it.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:15 pm

As I stated last season, Paul Cook lost me early on with the way he handled players.

In saying that, I want him to succeed, clearly some players have joined because of him.

I just wonder whether he has done a great job to rebuild the squad, but now is time to bring in a different type of manager to move forward from here.

Everyone talks about his proven past record, so did Keane, Lambert and Jewell for that matter. Often our club seems to hire a manager with a past glory, but can’t repeat it with us.

Sorry, just pissed off with the result.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:23 pm

I’m losing patience to be honest. It’s been more than 10 years for me. Cook get your finger out of you arse (Is that ok to say Barmy?) and start producing results ffs!

osborne77

Post by osborne77 » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:38 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 10:55 pm
Dropping Valclav "box of" Hankys in favour of Walton isn't helping with the G word.
Yes that was another change but it's clear that these two central defenders and more recently this GK are what PC is aiming at for his starting line up, so we have to give them a chance. Hopefully next time they will concede less than 5 goals, maybe we'll even get it back to the two per game that seems to be our preferred number.

Granted Hanky Boy hasn't let in 5 in a match but he has hardly been that impressive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm

People need to look at another massive issue within the team because today our central Midfield was an absolute clusterfuck, numerous times we lost our shape and there was a chasm of space in the middle of the pitch where there wasn't a blue shirt in sight, Evans and Harper were a major factor in the appalling performance today which heaped even more pressure on the defence. Morsy can't come in soon enough, those Eleven goons out there today should be made to play Tuesday in the Mickey mouse cup.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:14 am

Have viewed game highlights, listened in to the entire thing earier today, you really can't do anymore. What else can you add to this that at least sits within the boundaries of reason and minimal profanities. It's tough.

Seems their Afolayan player that scored twice got some racist abuse from one or two of our fans today, it were captured on video. Both clubs are running enquiries and can understand frustrations but there's always a line you don't cross.

Really am running out of patience with Cook sometimes. Sorry for the bereavement, truly, but it's just not working for him. There's simply too many instances of getting things wrong and all round incompetence. Maybe it will work over time bur right now tough to see the way ahead.

We got one of those bullshit cup events coming up in midweek. One where 95 per cent of the fanbase couldn't give two rats for. Just sets the question if we were to win, would it count as first victory this season or league encounters only. Even if the team were to rack up an impressive win it wouldn't redeem today or the previous games before it. The number of changes made at this club in every department since last season and the absolute underachievement / failure with it is astounding. Guess some people expected too much when it was never really there to begin with.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 am

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm
People need to look at another massive issue within the team because today our central Midfield was an absolute clusterfuck, numerous times we lost our shape and there was a chasm of space in the middle of the pitch where there wasn't a blue shirt in sight, Evans and Harper were a major factor in the appalling performance today which heaped even more pressure on the defence. Morsy can't come in soon enough, those Eleven goons out there today should be made to play Tuesday in the Mickey mouse cup.
If it doesn’t improve with Morsy, we’re f*cked like a whore’s c*ck!

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:59 am

Watched on Ifollow which I don’t often do but missis was away.

The defence and goalie were AWFUL. I think a few of us might have wanted to see Chambers back in there yesterday bossing things because they looked truly rudderless, utterly uncoordinated and panicky. Edmundson was the greatest disappointment for me. Looked out of shape, indisciplined and a liability. Some positives? Donacion did a reasonable holding job once he was on. Coulson going forward looks ok but made mistakes at the back. I think the defence need to train together (all the time they can) and understand their marking systems etc because at the moment there is ZERO understanding between them.

Evans and Harper were WORSE. Evans I think has completely lost his confidence- he doesn’t want the ball and us certainly not captain material. Harper anonymous throughout too. Cook has got to take some blame here. These are his players and his system and these two need to be getting games by the scruff of the neck and bossing it. They absolutely are not doing that.

The attacking players I think deserve some praise. Burns was our biggest threat, and Chaplin and Aluko played ok. Bonne looks the biz as a lone frontman.

Forget WH. They need to get a result at Lincoln to steady the ship. That means planning for a clean sheet against a team who scored 5 today. C’mon Cook let’s see your management skills now - we all need them desperately!

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:33 am

I'd like to say I'm surprised, but I'm not.

I'm one of the few on here who didn't want PC appointed. He's an ME appointment - ME only made one decent managerial appointment (MM, who, although I didn't like his tactics, did a great job with no backing).

We saw the same thing a few years back - people clamouring for PH who when he came was an absolute flop as a manager. There are major similarities between PH and PC.

For PC to come out yesterday and say it's not fair for him to be judged on last seasons results is a bigger pile of cr@p than the cr@p that usually comes out of his mouth. He has had 23 games and won just 4 of them, that speaks for itself.

I expect him to be gone by the end of the week, and as far as I'm concerned good riddance.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm

Come on Guys - really? Have we learned nothing from the past few years? A new manager is NOT the solution here. Patience and support is the answer. I feel as annoyed and frustrated as everyone (and have been home and away to most games so have seen it first hand) but do you seriously think bringing in someone new (again) will fix this a quickly as you seem to think? So... we bring in a new manager (some suggest Eddie Howe...😂) how deluded are some people?? The players came for Cook, the signings were made for Cook. He is going nowhere for the foreseeable future. I say we must keep the faith and if we are nowhere near play offs etc by April next year, we then look to change but not now - it would be suicide. Some may not like Cook or his methods but I fear (and history backs me up) that change again at this moment will bring more misery and not less. If we use up one more season in this league getting it right, so be it. There was never going to be a quick fix where we ripped up the league and were promoted by March - if you thought that, you very much need a reality check. The Americans will indeed be watching and will indeed take action when appropriate - but that time is not now. Read back over all of the takeover interviews... getting up this year was always advertised as a bonus and the big changes were identified as being longer term ones. Yes we all want to go up this year but it was never guaranteed - least of all by Gamechanger 20 - they are smart enough to know it could take time. Big pension funds are long term investments, not quick returns - thats why we all try to save for 40+ years to build them up! I suggest we take a step back and let our heads rule our hearts again...

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:35 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:31 am
I've maintained throughout that I dont like Cook.

I said it last season when he completely stuffed up what should've been an easy run in to the playoffs and with his completely naive man management and lack of motivation of the then existing squad. We'd have done better with Lambert.

And I also said it pre-season with his ridiculous clear out and bringing a bunch of strangers in to play together with zero time to gel.

Sooner hes sacked the better.
Have to say i agree 100% on this. Very much my opinion. Would never have been the approach of managers like Warnock, MM etc. These type of managers would have had this club out of League One in a single season.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:39 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm
Come on Guys - really? Have we learned nothing from the past few years? A new manager is NOT the solution here. Patience and support is the answer. I feel as annoyed and frustrated as everyone (and have been home and away to most games so have seen it first hand) but do you seriously think bringing in someone new (again) will fix this a quickly as you seem to think? So... we bring in a new manager (some suggest Eddie Howe...😂) how deluded are some people?? The players came for Cook, the signings were made for Cook. He is going nowhere for the foreseeable future. I say we must keep the faith and if we are nowhere near play offs etc by April next year, we then look to change but not now - it would be suicide. Some may not like Cook or his methods but I fear (and history backs me up) that change again at this moment will bring more misery and not less. If we use up one more season in this league getting it right, so be it. There was never going to be a quick fix where we ripped up the league and were promoted by March - if you thought that, you very much need a reality check. The Americans will indeed be watching and will indeed take action when appropriate - but that time is not now. Read back over all of the takeover interviews... getting up this year was always advertised as a bonus and the big changes were identified as being longer term ones. Yes we all want to go up this year but it was never guaranteed - least of all by Gamechanger 20 - they are smart enough to know it could take time. Big pension funds are long term investments, not quick returns - thats why we all try to save for 40+ years to build them up! I suggest we take a step back and let our heads rule our hearts again...
If you are prepared for a 4th term in this cr@p league then yes - fine - persevere with Mr Coq. Personally, I think that you have absolutely no concept on what an American paymaster is like :wink:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:49 pm

Don't assume Rossi... I have worked for american firms for 49 years (and continue to be employed by one) so would suggest that I know considerably more about them than you do! I am also at a senior level in such firms so know exactly their modus operandi - don' believe all you read in the papers or on facebook/twitter about them...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:50 pm

Apologies - 40 years, not 49 😬

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:53 pm

100% in tune with your post Blue Wilf. We have some great talent in our squad which will come good and will be exciting to watch. Goals scored so far = 10 on a par with Sunderland but unfortunately a defence lacking in organisation and not joined up with no partnerships and no leadership. That can be fixed far easier than trying to fix lack of goals, we should all know that from past seasons following Town but isn’t that why we all wanted rid of MM, he had no problems keeping a clean sheet but had no excitement going forward and we all hated it. Football teams don’t get rebuilt over two weeks or even two months, it takes longer than that and we need to have patience and the soonest we should see this is a lost cause in my opinion should be December.

On an aside I just read this on Facebook which adds another dimension I was unaware of relating to our Manager and may be worthy of consideration.

I have to say I feel a bit sorry for Cook. The players he's brought in clearly can do the business going forward but the togetherness isn't there yet to storm back to defend and help each other out to the last.

It also should really not be overlooked that Cook recently lost his father; that is a horrendous milestone that most sons pass and it is often one of the most emotionally turbulent times (judging from my observations in life)

No wonder he and the team are struggling on the mental side.

I know it's hard but us fans have to remain strong & positive to compensate for this current deficit in the team.

Some of our more arrogant fans will probably think not but from personal experience the loss of a closed love one does have a massive impact on your emotions and mental state and can take time to get over.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:02 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:35 pm
BlueBalls wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 9:31 am
I've maintained throughout that I dont like Cook.

I said it last season when he completely stuffed up what should've been an easy run in to the playoffs and with his completely naive man management and lack of motivation of the then existing squad. We'd have done better with Lambert.

And I also said it pre-season with his ridiculous clear out and bringing a bunch of strangers in to play together with zero time to gel.

Sooner hes sacked the better.
Have to say i agree 100% on this. Very much my opinion. Would never have been the approach of managers like Warnock, MM etc. These type of managers would have had this club out of League One in a single season.

I’m pretty certain MM would have got us back to the Premier League had he had a different owner to ME and I agree wholeheartedly that NW would have been a success here too, but hey VR 12 September is far too earlier to write off PC who may well get us out of this league in a single season, I certainly haven’t written him off yet.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:13 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:35 pm
These type of managers would have had this club out of League One in a single season.
Come on, Valley, ......, don't turn into Roy (King C Word) Keane.

Regarding relatives dying and mentally not being in the zone, was very surprised to read that Paul Cook was even at Portman Road yesterday. Why was he even there? Can only assume his dad maybe died over the international break period and it wasn't a few days ago?

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:15 pm

Blue Wilf wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:19 pm
Let's hope it is one more season in L1 ......., and not L2.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 12, 2021 3:17 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:33 am
Bluemike wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:54 pm
If it doesn’t improve with Morsy, we’re f*cked like a whore’s c*ck!
Hit the post with that one, 9. The forum automatically changes THE DREADED WORD to c0ck. Even the computerized forum "make up" knows the word is wholly unacceptable.