League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Back to Back Wins?

Town Win
55%
SWFC Win
20%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 20

number 9

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Sheffield Wednesday Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by number 9 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:41 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 5:58 pm
Well, what garbage. Burgess made too many errors. Burns, Celina and el miz poor, bonne with two lovely chances but hit them both at the keeper. My son wanted to leave with ten minutes left so I obliged. Heard the cheer on my way to the station, really didn't give a feck. Town must perform better than that if we are to challenge for the top 8. What is Pal Cook doing with the team??
...and with such a miserable start to the season, we're still only 7pts off the top 8! :shock:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:44 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:52 pm

Witnessed highlights now. I take back my comment last week about MacBonne being like McCoist. Not even close. He was shittin bricks today.
But the team are creating chances and thats a good thing. Just need to start putting some away.

And Hallam, was laughing at your goalie height quote…… because 100% ——>> Holy reaches that and saves it. :lol:

Lucky with the equaliser though……. That was an absolute cluster of many fk up’s in the SW defence. If Ipswich had conceded like that, words would be said across many forums.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm

And whats with the Top 8 reference? Who gives a fk about 7th or 8th?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:31 am

Another Two points dropped against what for me was a rubbish Sheffield Wednesday side, how we were behind at the interval I do not know, again we weren't great by any stretch but clearly the better side.

Some of our approach play was again very good but where it really matters, that final ball or delivery, was all too often lacking.

I thought El Mizouni was out of his depth tbh and for the opening 45 minutes did nothing really, I never wanted Celina back and yesterday showed why, 2 superb touches and bugger all else, ambles about the pitch too much.

I thought Donacien, Burgess and Hladky were for the most part solid at the back, sadly it was from Edmundson's weak headed clearance they scored, expected better tbh and then the striker wasn't closed down quickly enough.

Burns and Bonne again put in a shift but the service to Bonne just wasn't regular enough as he flitted in and out of the game. Not sure about Carroll in Midfield, he's OK, nothing more for me while Scott Fraser has some very good moments but like Celina often looks laboured and for a big lad is often outmuscled off the ball.

It was so frustrating though as we would 100% have won the game if Harper rolls the simplest of balls to Bonne who would have had a tap in into an empty net in the 93rd minute, Bonne was furious and rightly so, Harper just had no vision or awareness around him and instead tried a woefully weak shot, thats the difference between a good player and a bang average one.

Top marks to Bonne for his smart thinking at the end though for our equaliser, I cannot for the life of me understand how not one of Wednesday's outfield players thought about warning the keeper that Bonne was behind him, he was there bloody ages, it was scandalous.

For me we have to get Edwards, Coulsen and Morsy into the team ASAP as they will make a massive difference, the draw isn't a disaster but again we are falling behind and building very little momentum.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am

I saw with amusement that PC thinks that supporters can see signs that we are growing.

I see no such signs, Mr Coq - I see a team that but for a fluke would have suffered yet another home defeat, I see a team that has slipped back into the relegation zone, I see a squad of players that the manager has chosen that still looks thoroughly disjointed. That's what I see.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:51 am

rossi wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 8:35 am
I saw with amusement that PC thinks that supporters can see signs that we are growing.

I see no such signs, Mr Coq - I see a team that but for a fluke would have suffered yet another home defeat, I see a team that has slipped back into the relegation zone, I see a squad of players that the manager has chosen that still looks thoroughly disjointed. That's what I see.
Imo spot on. I just can't see us challenging for a playoff place and as for automatic promotion that ship has sailed.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:03 am

Overall wasn’t that impressed. Some good attacking moments, but not putting it together over the 90 minutes. Agree with Mike over Celina…. apart from two very good reverse passes he didn’t really do a great deal. If he’s that type of player who drifts in and out of games, then he’s got to do something special once in a while to compensate for not really being a team player. I think Edwards would work harder for the team than Celina and if Celina can’t deliver more soon, I’d put Edwards in ahead of him.

El Miz did ok and I thought was more physical than expected, but we need someone to control games better. A lot rides on Morsy to pull it all together. I do think it will come together, but will it be too late to make a charge up the table?

If we win at Doncaster, then this doesn’t seem such a bad result. In fact it’s not a bad result in isolation , but we can’t afford to drop points. Got to be more clinical and stop those errors.
Just saw a replay on that Harper miss and not only could he have passéd to Bonne, he also could have put Chaplin in on his left. Terrible decision-making.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:48 pm

Good to see a range of opinions on our chances this season.
For what it's worth, these are my views, following my first live game of the new regime:
For me it was key to sort our defensive frailties out if we had any hope of achieving big things. Barring a coupe of very early misunderstandings between Vladky and Burgess, as well as a couple of (atoned for) slack passes from the latter in the second half, i felt the defensive unit has improved greatly (going on highlights from previous games) and certainly restricted an experienced Sheffield Wednesday attack. Am liking Donacien's contribution, even if it takes away from our attacking threat down the right a bit. Penney had a decent game, barring one selfish wayward attempt at goal when he had time to put in a decent cross.
The game certainly went pretty flat second half with Wednesday containing our attacking threat fairly easily. The midfield was functional but i failed to see a great deal of threat from it. Celina is a luxury player, but am pretty sure he is still finding his feet fully after his Covid setback. El Mizouni didn't do much wrong i felt, likewise didn't electrify things either. Burns looks our best threat, but often seemed to find himself up against 2 Wednesday players when in advanced positions.
I like Bonne's workrate and he surely would have added to his tally had Harper passed late on. That said, Harper's burst from midfield was something that i felt had been missing from our midfielders up until then.

All in all would have taken a point beforehand. Certainly an improvement on the football i saw under the previous regime, though perhaps not as brilliant as i had imagined.
That said, with the likes of Morsy to come in, plus the return of Edwards and Evans, plus Celina finding full 90 minute fitness i see every reason to be hopeful. A good sustained charge up the table is well within our capabilities and going into the playoffs (if that is our eventual route) with momentum behind us might just be the charge we need to gain promotion.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:15 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:48 pm
….with the likes of Morsy to come in…….
Does he make league debut v Doncaster you think?

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:27 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
For what it's worth, these are my views, following my first live game of the new regime:
For me it was key to sort our defensive frailties out if we had any hope of achieving big things. Barring a coupe of very early misunderstandings between Vladky and Burgess, as well as a couple of (atoned for) slack passes from the latter in the second half, i felt the defensive unit has improved greatly (going on highlights from previous games) and certainly restricted an experienced Sheffield Wednesday attack. Am liking Donacien's contribution, even if it takes away from our attacking threat down the right a bit. Penney had a decent game, barring one selfish wayward attempt at goal when he had time to put in a decent cross.
The game certainly went pretty flat second half with Wednesday containing our attacking threat fairly easily. The midfield was functional but i failed to see a great deal of threat from it. Celina is a luxury player, but am pretty sure he is still finding his feet fully after his Covid setback. El Mizouni didn't do much wrong i felt, likewise didn't electrify things either. Burns looks our best threat, but often seemed to find himself up against 2 Wednesday players when in advanced positions.
I like Bonne's workrate and he surely would have added to his tally had Harper passed late on. That said, Harper's burst from midfield was something that i felt had been missing from our midfielders up until then.

All in all would have taken a point beforehand. Certainly an improvement on the football i saw under the previous regime, though perhaps not as brilliant as i had imagined.
That said, with the likes of Morsy to come in, plus the return of Edwards and Evans, plus Celina finding full 90 minute fitness i see every reason to be hopeful. A good sustained charge up the table is well within our capabilities and going into the playoffs (if that is our eventual route) with momentum behind us might just be the charge we need to gain promotion.
Pretty much agree with that.

And we have tightened up in the last two games. Main criticism is that we can’t control games that well. We seem to go through periods where our midfield gets dominated. But, at least, we kept it tight. Feeling better about the defence and we’ve got so many options up front that one combination will click. Key for me is the two deep midfielders. Morsy and another. Get that right and I think we can start climbing the table.
And, yes, even though the results have been bad, we do look really good in patches. I’m not writing promotion of yet. Blackpool came from nowhere after a terrible start last season.

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Sun Sep 26, 2021 2:32 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:

I pretty much agree with all of this though, and I am reluctant to admit it, I think our surge up the table will come too late to make the playoffs this season.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:00 pm

I was happy with the point yesterday especially how late the goal came. In the past we used to drop points due to late goals not gain points. Maybe the born optimist but I still think Cookie and the lads will come good and that sometime soon we’ll go on a decent run and make up lost ground. Looking forward to Tuesday night and hoping to watch it on ifollow. Unfortunately yesterday my day was consumed with golf and I completely missed the game and have information only picked up from reading other fans reports.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:25 pm

Just seen our 90th minute Conor Chaplin Goal from yesterday, talk about getting mugged, that was ridiculous, 🤣

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:56 pm

Here of is…. I can’t stop watching it … or laughing out loud ! :lol:

https://pbs.twimg.com/ext_tw_video_thum ... HLhdPL.jpg

I bet this ends up being my fav video this season !
Last edited by hallamblue on Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 pm

marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:15 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Oh i think he has got to. Our midfield lacked bite a bit yesterday and hopefully he will bring that.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 4:56 pm

That came up as a picture, not a video. People can find it on the EADT.

It’s absolutely brilliant. Bonne crept up on the GK and he even signalled to the North Stand to keep quiet.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:57 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:07 pm
marko69 wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 1:15 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Oh i think he has got to. Our midfield lacked bite a bit yesterday and hopefully he will bring that.
Part of me thinks there will be a few changes on Tuesday to keep things fresh, wouldn’t be surprised to see Celina drop out, Morsey will definitely start and perhaps Harper will come on somewhere. I think it’s important the backline remains but we can change the frontline up a bit. Chaplin could start too.
I’ll also get it on iFollow, so looking forward to seeing how we are since the last time I watched us at Cheltenham.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:55 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm
hallamblue wrote:

It’s absolutely brilliant. Bonne crept up on the GK and he even signalled to the North Stand to keep quiet.
Oh that’s a pain …. I watched the video before I copied the link …. Bloody IT innit 🤷‍♀️

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Have enjoyed watching our equaliser against Wednesday several times. Here is another one just featured by the EADT, and the best thing it is at the expense of our feathered friends. The cherry on the cake is the familiar face profiting!
https://m.youtube.com/watch?time_contin ... =emb_title

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:17 pm

I thought Green was only famous for one monumental fk up?

Jaysus H, what a doughball.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:55 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:18 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Oh that’s a pain …. I watched the video before I copied the link …. Bloody IT innit 🤷‍♀️
This is the video with view from behind the goal. With commentary from David Attenborough.

https://video.twimg.com/ext_tw_video/1 ... 1hGb5a.mp4