League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we win against the bottom team?

Town Win
72%
Rovers Win
11%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

Frosty
Forum Owner

League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:29 am

ImageIpswich Town v Doncaster Rovers Image

Tuesday 28th September 2021– 19:45

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

A Tale Of Two Chaplin's.............

Saturday's home game with Sheffield Wednesday provided Town with the opportunity to follow up their win at Lincoln City a week previous and in doing so rebuild some of the belief among Town fans, with the game ending in another frustrating draw I am not too sure it achieved it's aim although pre game I expect many would have viewed a draw with One of the so called bigger clubs in the division as acceptable. Sadly having watched the game I think it is a case of another Two points dropped against a bang average side and therefore it has to go down as another lacklustre performance from Town. Yes there were some positives but I think it is true to say there were probably as many negatives as this season that promised so much stutters from One game to another.

The game as a spectacle wasn't too bad, Town definitely had much the better start and should have been ahead within Three minutes, this time however that man Macauley Bonne fluffed his lines when in One on One with the keeper and the chance was gone, not long after Wes Burns sent a cross cum shot across the box and sadly just passed the far post. Town did get the ball in the net from Burns not long after but the Linesman's flag went up to deny us once more. Gradually the visitors got themselves more into the game and as sure as Night follows day they got themselves ahead against the run of play, a terrible headed clearance from George Edmundson fell kindly for the Wednesday attackers and Hladky was beaten with a decent lob over his head and into the net, yet again it oh so typical of Town to be behind in a game where the opposition had to that point offered nothing.

The second half was a tad disappointing in truth and while Town tried to force the issue chances were at a premium, a few balls were flashed across goal etc but by and large their keeper wasn't overly troubled. I felt One or Two of our players didn't really contribute that much with Bersant Celina and Idris El Mizouni the main suspects, One was barely in the game and the other looked a bit like a rabbit in the headlights for much of the First half, Tom Carroll was another who I have decided to call "The Crab" as much of what he did was sideways.

With time ticking down it was an incredible howler from the Wednesday Keeper which helped us salvage a point, with the ball in the keepers hands it seemed like an eternity as we watched Bonne "hide" behind him waiting for the ball to be released from his grasp, surely One of the many defenders who were close to the action and who could clearly see Bonne was going to warn him of the danger but the call never came and Bonne's quick thinking together with Fraser's neat touch off played in Conor Chaplin to fire the ball home much to the delight of the home crowd. It was a crazy Charlie Chaplin like moment as One Chaplin allowed the other One to secure the point we most definitely deserved.

Unbelievably it didn't stop there as Two wasted an incredible chance to grab all Three points, with the whistle in the Referee's mouth substitute Rekeem Harper burst through the Midfield and with defenders backing off he had a choice of tapping a sideways pass to either Bonne one side or Chaplin the other who would surely have won us the game, instead he delivered a woefully weak effort which the keeper saved with ease as Bonne screamed his frustration at his team mate, it was a dreadful waste of a golden opportunity. The draw see's Town drop back into the relegation zone which is so not where we expected to be and whether we agree with it or not it heaps the pressure back on Paul Cook.

Tuesday's game at home to Doncaster Rovers gives us a chance to remedy the situation quickly and with them sitting at the foot of the table I don't think anything other than Three points will suffice with most. To be fair a win would make it Seven points from the last Nine and maintaining that from here on in would do very nicely. At last we should get to see the great white hope that is Samy Morsy enter the fray and expectation is huge, hopefully we will have Kyle Edwards available too. Donny being bottom of the pile tells you how their season has gone so far so this has to be a win, a win I believe we will achieve. 2-1 Town win. COYB'S

The Opposition – Doncaster Rovers

The club was formed in 1879 by Albert Jenkins, a fitter at Doncaster's Great Northern Railway works. He gathered together some friends to play a match against the Yorkshire Institute for the Deaf and Dumb in September 1879. On walking back from the game, the team took a rest at the Hall Cross, and had a discussion in which they decided to play more and called themselves Doncaster Rovers.

They were first elected to the Football League in 1901, as a replacement for New Brighton Tower. Their first season in the League was in fact the one when Doncaster achieved their highest position ever (7th in the Football League Second Division). They only lasted two seasons in the league before being voted out in favour of local rivals Bradford City, having finished the 1902 season in the bottom three.

They spent the subsequent season in the Midland League, only managing 11th place out of 18 but were elected back to Division 2. This time, in 1904–05, Doncaster finished bottom with W3 D2 L29, adrift by 12 points, gaining only 8 points – an unfortunate still standing record. They were voted out once again.

They remained in the Midland League until they were again accepted into the Football League Division 3 North for 1923–24 to replace Stalybridge Celtic.

The next few seasons saw them rise towards the top of the table, then decline towards the bottom, before in the early 1930s finishing consistently near the top and finally becoming Champions in 1934–35.

Rovers spent two seasons in Division 2, before being relegated in 1936–37.

Doncaster Rovers were involved in the longest ever competitive football match, against Stockport County at Edgeley Park on 30 March 1946, in a Division Three (North) cup tie. The match was deadlocked at 2–2 at 90 minutes, and after two 10-minute periods of extra time there was no further score. The rule at that time was that the game would carry on until one team scored. However, after 203 minutes, and with darkness closing in, the game was finally stopped.

In 1946–47 Doncaster set a record for the most games won in a league season (33), when they won the Third Division North title. The following season saw them relegated from the Second Division, but two years later, they won the Third Division North again. This time they stayed in the Second Division for eight seasons, their most successful period to date.

During the early 1990s, Ken Richardson, who was later described by detectives as "the type that would trample a two-year-old child to pick up a 2p bit"took over as the majority shareholder of the club. He ploughed a lot of money into Doncaster Rovers with one thing on his mind, a new stadium. When he was refused a new stadium by the council he soon lost interest. Richardson hired three men to torch Belle Vue and planned to sell the ground to developers. The attempt put Richardson in jail for four years. In 1998 Rovers dropped out of the league with a −83 goal difference.

The Westferry Consortium took over the Club just before the beginning of the 1998–99 season with a commitment to invest heavily in the club. They also brought in John Ryan as a non-executive chairman and he took over at the end of this season. Having aspirations of returning it to the second tier where he had seen them when he was a boy, he stated he would build a new stadium within ten years, both of which he went on to achieve within the ten years. Doncaster found their best form in 50 years in the 2000s.

After five seasons in the Conference League, under the helm of manager Dave Penney the club returned to the fourth tier (known at the time as Division Three) after winning the 2003 Conference Play-Off final.

In 2003–04, the first season they were back in the Football League, Rovers achieved promotion to the third tier as Champions.

A new stadium was completed in December 2006. Doncaster's first game at the new Keepmoat Stadium was against Huddersfield Town on New Year's Day, 2007.

On 1 April 2007, Doncaster Rovers travelled to the Millennium Stadium, Cardiff to play Bristol Rovers in the Football League Trophy final which they won 3-2 to claim their first major trophy.

2007–08 proved to be one of the most exciting seasons in Doncaster's history. Defeat on the final day of the season cost them automatic promotion but they won their semi-final playoff to advance to the League One play-off final at Wembley on Sunday 25 May 2008 where they beat Leeds United 1–0 to move into Football League Championship after a half century absence.

The first half of the 2008–09 season saw Doncaster struggling to adapt to the Championship despite a promising start which saw them bottom of the Championship on 20 December 2008. Rovers managed to turn things around and ultimately ended their first season in the Championship comfortably in 14th position.

Doncaster finished two places higher in 12th in the 2009/10 season, however the 2010–11 season proved to be Doncaster's most trying season in the Championship thus far finishing in 21st place.

Doncaster Rovers struggled in the 2011–12 season and were relegated to League One with three games still to play.

The squad was rebuilt for the 2012–13 season with 19 players leaving. Expectations were low, but after an average start, Doncaster finished the season one point above Bournemouth as Champions.

Following promotion to the Championship for the 2013–14 season, Paul Dickov was brought in as manager. To boost support for their chosen charity, Bluebell Wood Children's Hospice, the club signed Louis Tomlinson of boy band One Direction on a non-contract basis.

On 9 November, John Ryan gave an emotional farewell and stepped down as Chairman of the Club after 15 years, amid reports of boardroom disagreements following a proposed takeover bid by a hedge-fund consortium lead by Sequentia Capital.

On 3 May 2014 Doncaster were relegated back to League One after just one season following a defeat to Leicester City on the final day of the season.

Rovers finished the 2014–15 season in 13th place, before being relegated to League Two after finishing 21st in 2015–16 with new manager Darren Ferguson.

The 2016–17 season saw them being promoted back to League 1 at the first attempt in 3rd position.

Darren Ferguson left his post in June 2017 and was replaced by another former Peterborough boss in Grant McCann ahead of the 2018/19 season. Under McCann, Rovers finished sixth in League One, qualifying for the end of season play-offs where they faced Charlton Athletic over two legs. A 2–1 defeat in the first leg and an early Krystian Bielik goal in the second left Rovers with a mountain to climb at The Valley, but goals from captain Tommy Rowe and Andy Butler forced extra time. John Marquis put Rovers ahead for the first time in extra time, only for Darren Pratley to equalise a minute later. Rovers lost the penalty shoot-out 4–3 with misses coming from Rowe and Marquis as they fell just short of making the Wembley Stadium showdown.

McCann left in the summer for Championship side Hull City and was replaced by former defender Darren Moore ahead of the 2019/20 campaign.

Moore moved to struggling Sheffield Wednesday on 1 March 2021, and Andy Butler was appointed as interim manager for the remainder of the season.

For the 2021-22 season, former trophy winning Doncaster Rovers player Richie Wellens was installed as first team manager, with Noel Hunt as assistant manager

Last season Doncaster finished League 1 in 14th place

The Manager – Richie Wellens

Form Guide

Ipswich Last 5 Matches – Currently in 21st place with 7 points

21 Aug Ipswich Town 2 - 2 Milton Keynes

28 Aug Ipswich Town 2 – 2 AFC Wimbledon

11 Sep Ipswich Town 2 - 5 Bolton

18 Sep Lincoln City 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

25 Sep Ipswich Town 1 - 1 Sheffield Wed

Doncaster Rovers Last 5 Matches – Currently in 24th place with 4 points

21 Aug Doncaster 0 - 0 Portsmouth

28 Aug Rotherham 2 - 0 Doncaster

11 Sep Wigan Athletic 2 - 1 Doncaster

18 Sep Doncaster 1 - 0 Morecambe

25 Sep Plymouth 2 - 1 Doncaster

Match Referee – Carl Brook

IPSWICH TOWN 1 DONCASTER ROVERS 0

AzzurroMark

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am

While i think "must-win" games and "September" are two terms that should not go together, i do feel that we really need to get our home wins column up and running! So after a long exodus, this will be my 2nd PR visit in a week (can't even remember my last game "under the lights") and i am very much hoping to see our first win.

I think it will be a narrow single goal margin result. A word of caution to anyone looking at the table, seeing Donny rooted to the bottom and thinking we have won this before a ball is kicked. Doncaster's 3 narrow away defeats so far have all come at 3 of the top 5 teams!

1-0 to the Town

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am

Ref Caption: At ballet school this was the Forth position move.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:52 am

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:01 am
Ref Caption: At ballet school this was the Forth position move.
:lol: :lol:

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am
While i think "must-win" games and "September" are two terms that should not go together, i do feel that we really need to get our home wins column up and running! So after a long exodus, this will be my 2nd PR visit in a week (can't even remember my last game "under the lights") and i am very much hoping to see our first win.

I think it will be a narrow single goal margin result. A word of caution to anyone looking at the table, seeing Donny rooted to the bottom and thinking we have won this before a ball is kicked. Doncaster's 3 narrow away defeats so far have all come at 3 of the top 5 teams!

1-0 to the Town
Yeah but at this stage of the season did they beat Donny because they are a top 5 team, or are they a top 5 team because they beat Donny.

Personally I think their form is the key thing and the longer you keep losing the lower your heads drop.

Really can't see us losing this one as long as PC keep most of the same starting XI.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:18 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:54 am
AzzurroMark wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:24 am

1-0 to the Town
Yeah but at this stage of the season did they beat Donny because they are a top 5 team, or are they a top 5 team because they beat Donny.

Personally I think their form is the key thing and the longer you keep losing the lower your heads drop.

Really can't see us losing this one as long as PC keep most of the same starting XI.
:lol: True and a very good way of looking at it I guess. I suppose you get a little more idea as the season progresses as to whether any club's position is truly justified.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:41 pm

I'm still fully behind Cook & hope we win this one in style.

No doubt others will be after his head if we don't.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:59 pm

This is very good news, seeing that PC thinks Edwards will be available (as well as Morsy, obviously) for tomorrow night. Nsiala is also available too and having that back up is certainly reassuring.

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... er-8366558

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:17 pm

Got to be a win. But yeah I’ll buy a nervous one…Bonne nil

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:30 pm

Voted for us to win almost by default. On paper at least it seems a three point banker but then you remember which team you root for.

A win here while not imperative is highly required, one win in nine games won't be acceptable and all and any talk of "waiting for the team to get it together" can, and is, starting to wear thin. Would hope for Vaclav in goal, the team is unbeaten in two since he's come back in and while that's not saying much just feel either Holy or Walton taking the place shakes confidence.

Cook needs to attack from the start, play at least two up front, maybe even give Jackson to feature leading attack at some stage of the game (chance to do something against this caliber of opposition) Bonne starting is a given and not sure Norwood is available from injury. Our defense often seems a concern such as the goals against tally will testify.

Cook has had his problems on and off the field but lose here and the vultures will be circling overhead in quite near proximity. We're rapidly losing touch for a promotion race even at an early stage of a season. Strongly believe some fans seem unaware / choose not to realize it.

Town 3 Doncaster 1

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm

For me Hladky’s got to start, back four should stay unchanged if Coulson is still out. Morsey and Harper the deep-lying mids with Harper getting a brief to roam forward as we’re lacking over-lapping fullbacks, burns, Fraser and Celina (give him another chance but get Chaplin on quick if he’s not imposing), and Bonne up front. On paper should win handsomely… on paper

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:33 pm

I'm expecting a good win with Morsy and possibly Edwards playing, let's go mad 3-0 😱

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:22 pm

We are in this awkward where we show flashes of very good play, where we frequently look threatening going forward, where our defence is starting to look a little more cohesive and yet where we are inconsistent and where results have not been going our way.

Just as winning can become a habit, so can failure to win. If we win this one it will be two wins out of three and we'll be off and running. If we lose or draw it will be one win in nine and we are stuck in a downward spiral.

Fair to say this is a very important game for Cook and the team

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:58 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Mon Sep 27, 2021 1:57 pm
For me Hladky’s got to start, back four should stay unchanged if Coulson is still out. Morsey and Harper the deep-lying mids with Harper getting a brief to roam forward as we’re lacking over-lapping fullbacks, burns, Fraser and Celina (give him another chance but get Chaplin on quick if he’s not imposing), and Bonne up front. On paper should win handsomely… on paper
Pretty much agree with this, but I'd drop Celina and bring in Chaplin, just to give him a rest as he hasn't had any pre-season or such.

I suspect we might see Morsy and Evans though, Harper might be in a strange place now where Cook doesnt want to use him as a DMC and he will compete for the number 10 (which wont be easy given the options).

It will certainly be interesting to see the line up tonight. I do really hope we keep the GK and defence the same like you suggest, as it will help them gel etc. Going forward I think we have enough options to make changes and keep competition for places strong.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:23 pm

Is that Ashton in with the fans? Directly above the “O” in the com word, (advertising board) . Hoping it is. Because if not, thats a fan trying to “look like” Ashton? 🤦‍♂️

If inspector Morsy plays, then (because hes so good) …. can ONLY be a win. Shores up the midfield, everyone ticking, inviting through balls to MacBonne…… 3-0 minimum.

Ref:

Player: “Not even a foul, ref, never mind a caution.”
Ref: “The name’s Brook. I like to book. Fk off.”

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:39 pm

BlueBalls wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 1:32 pm
marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 12:23 pm
Is that Ashton in with the fans? Directly above the “O” in the com word, (advertising board) . Hoping it is. Because if not, thats a fan trying to “look like” Ashton? 🤦‍♂️
Yes it is and above the other "O" is Worzel Gummidge.
:lol:

Or at least someone who forgot their HBP medication.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:09 pm

Watching this on iFollow this evening, going to be a good one, going to be a Doncaster destruction derby!

4-1 win for the mighty boys in blue!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:21 pm

Normally, on a Tuesday, I’d purchase this. But sons new girlfriend, Holly, popping round being introduced to us tonight. (Holy?)

“Hi there, pal, nice to meet you, have a seat…., AW FK, HOLY? WHAT YOU DOIN’?”

Not appropriate.

Agreeing with you Dazza would probably be jinxing it, but certainly thinking your way. 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 4:27 pm

Bookmakers have ITFC @ 8/13......, Doncaster @ 5/1.

Bookies think 2nd win of the season. Apparently they're never wrong.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:49 pm

No Edwards or Pigott not even on the bench😩

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:50 pm

Morsy and Evans in for Carroll and El Mizouni

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:51 pm

Just the CMs have been changed.

Morsy and Evans in.

No Pigott on the bench but Norwood is there. Pity Edwards not at least on the bench.

We’ll soon see if Morsy will make a difference.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:03 pm

Carroll not on the bench either.

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm

Might be a silly question. Why was burgess booked there? Can you not challenge a goalkeeper when they kick the ball?

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:01 pm

Get in bonne, we'll played burns

ipswichtownNo1

Post by ipswichtownNo1 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Nice early lead. Keep it going

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:02 pm

Burns and Bonne yet again, Morsy looking good

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

ipswichtownNo1 wrote:
Tue Sep 28, 2021 7:55 pm
Might be a silly question. Why was burgess booked there? Can you not challenge a goalkeeper when they kick the ball?
Not allowed no

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

Simple but fantastic 👍

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:03 pm

MACBONNE, COME ON!

(poet, don't know it)