League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we win against the bottom team?

Town Win
72%
Rovers Win
11%
Draw
17%

Total votes: 18

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Doncaster Rovers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:06 pm

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:13 pm

Thanks for all the kind comments guys and yes it was a lovely tonic. Not sure I can stay away though Tang, I've endured years of sh*te so I think I deserve some of the better times to come.

Ash, Celina was ok out wide against a woeful opponent but as the Number 10 was pretty poor in truth and I think we all knew Morsy was going to make a massive difference.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:34 pm

Morsy - the missing piece to the jigsaw? On that performance most definitely. Was everywhere, snuffing out what little danger there might have been, always available to receive the ball, always finding a man in blue (bar just one wayward pass). I don't think it is just coincidence that Evans suddenly became John Walk for the night, Morsy gave him the chance to shine.
I liked what i saw of Celina, yes a luxury player maybe, but thought he was on it when it comes to the things we know he can do well. Totally justified inclusion IMO.
Wes Burns really tormented their defence and probably has been one of our best signing so far.

So glad i decided to go tonight, as i was toying with the idea of watching on i-follow!

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:00 am

I found it somewhat surreal as we don't do that to trams so we? Donny were pretty woeful but we also gave them
nowhere to play so credit to us. I thought Morsy was solid and looked at home - so nice to have a defensive midfielder that goes forward! Bonne is just great - wins headers you think he shouldnt and is really solid and bothersome to defences - murphy mk 2. I also like how donacien has improved and deserves his place. Burgess is also very solid. For me, despite Ash's words.... celina is the weak link at the moment - he just does not look ready and is lightweight at this level. I so hope he comes good but right now, he is the one I am looking to be subbed first. Hladky looked better too last night btw and will go from strength to strength. Its still a long season and one swallow does not make a summer but wow its nice to feel like we have a team to watch again - this lot are a million miles away from the Lambert crowd. Remember skuse, dozzell, bishop, downes and some of those woeful so called 'strikers' of the past few seasons? No - me neither...👍

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:35 am

More important for the doubters who could only see League Two and wanted Cookie sacked, maybe now you can get a sniff of what the guy is doing, what talent he’s bought in, what style of football he wants to play and more important how far away we are from being a relegation team like Doncaster Rovers clearly are.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:41 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:00 am
Hladky looked better too last night……
Really hope so, Wilf…… according to stats, they only had one shot on target.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:43 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
I found it somewhat surreal as we don't do that to trams so we? Donny were pretty woeful but we also gave them
nowhere to play so credit to us. I thought Morsy was solid and looked at home - so nice to have a defensive midfielder that goes forward! Bonne is just great - wins headers you think he shouldnt and is really solid and bothersome to defences - murphy mk 2. I also like how donacien has improved and deserves his place. Burgess is also very solid. For me, despite Ash's words.... celina is the weak link at the moment - he just does not look ready and is lightweight at this level. I so hope he comes good but right now, he is the one I am looking to be subbed first. Hladky looked better too last night btw and will go from strength to strength. Its still a long season and one swallow does not make a summer but wow its nice to feel like we have a team to watch again - this lot are a million miles away from the Lambert crowd. Remember skuse, dozzell, bishop, downes and some of those woeful so called 'strikers' of the past few seasons? No - me neither...👍
Agree about Celina completely, yes when moved wide he looked a lot better but aside from Two or Three good moments was often laboured and too laid back for me, look at Fraser, was industrious and excellent throughout, as was Burns, I much prefer the look of Edwards, and indeed Chaplin to Celina, I just don't get excited about him as others clearly do, hopefully its a case of still getting up to full fitness but when he was here last time it was the same thing. All that said we won and we won convincingly so all good for now.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:45 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:35 am
More important for the doubters who could only see League Two……
For me, firmly in the camp that Cook needs time, but i suppose everyone is different……. And seeing Ipswich at 3rd bottom, the lowest that everyone alive has seen the club; fully understand the doubters.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:46 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
This is the unfit Celina that assisted two goals and had a hand in a third! Well he will do for me😀

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 am

I hear what some are saying about Celina but last night his crosses created two goals. He is light weight and maybe not suited to more central as a number 10 role but last night he did well out wide. He was also heavily involved with Evans 3rd goal.

I am unsure of Celina at this level as quite a few of you are but last night he did well and yes it was against poorest team seen this season, but give the lad credit where it's do

Two assists and major hand in another goal, i'll take that from him.. Lets see how he does in the so called bigger games, Edwards for me look stronger still when fit

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 am

Excellent result, and much needed.

Even if Doncaster were the poorest team I've seen at PR for a number of years (which they were), a 6-0 win has to be a good performance.

As far as PC is concerned, I've seen him given praise for switching Celina to the left in the 2nd half - I concur with this, it was good management and certainly led to a much improved performance from Celina. But - if people are going to praise him for that, they must also realise that much of the inept performances since he came here are also down, in part, to him, but hopefully last night gives him a solid platform to take the team forward.

I really like Wes Burns as a player - I think that he and Celina may well form the basis of our 3 behind the frontman, and once Edwards is fit it's a mouth-watering proposition.

But for me, by far the best performance of last night was from the 2 DMs - Morsy looks class and Evans benefitted enormously from playing alongside him . How refreshing to see the DMs moving the ball forwards, rather than the negative sideways and backwards and wayward passing a la Skuse.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:38 am

Not writing Celina off, but don’t think he should be a shoe-in. Edwards and Chaplin are quality players who would work harder than him.

He delivered a fantastic cross for the third, but we’re going to be in tougher games where we need him to perform from the start. Not just when we’re 2-0 up. I thought he was a passenger in the first half and against better teams we can’t afford to carry passengers.

Squad competition is fierce and many good players can’t make the 18 man squad. I’d prefer him as an option from the bench.

It’s actually a good problem to have.

Great debut from Morsy. Won his tackles and he’s someone who likes to take a few steps forward with the ball and get us on the front foot. Simple front-foot football. So used to watching Skuse intercept a pass and swivel around and deliver a pass sidewards or backwards.
Just the right result we need. Just keep it going and build confidence and belief. Players looked like they enjoyed that as much as the fans.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 am

Steve and Jo wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:58 am
I hear what some are saying about Celina but last night his crosses created two goals. He is light weight and maybe not suited to more central as a number 10 role but last night he did well out wide. He was also heavily involved with Evans 3rd goal.

I am unsure of Celina at this level as quite a few of you are but last night he did well and yes it was against poorest team seen this season, but give the lad credit where it's do

Two assists and major hand in another goal, i'll take that from him.. Lets see how he does in the so called bigger games, Edwards for me look stronger still when fit
Only watched the highlights but Celina seemed to have a hand in many of the goals.

This (above) is a really nice conversation to be having :D

It might be the bottom team but 6 goals are a rare thing indeed (Sunderland managed 5 against Cheltenham also btw). That can only be good for confidence and team building is all about getting more confidence.
Last edited by Dubai Blue on Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:39 am

Celina did ok, let's get that right, what I am saying and what I said before we signed him is that he is a luxury player and at times anonymous, his defensive efforts are poor, did anyone see him do what Fraser did in tracking back last night ? Against better opposition we will see, I hope he proves me wrong, will happily take that, I remain unconvinced after a ok performance against a woeful team.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:37 am

Even if Doncaster were the poorest team I've seen at PR for a number of years (which they were), a 6-0 win has to be a good performance.

As far as PC is concerned, I've seen him given praise for switching Celina to the left in the 2nd half - I concur with this, it was good management and certainly led to a much improved performance from Celina. But - if people are going to praise him for that, they must also realise that much of the inept performances since he came here are also down, in part, to him, but hopefully last night gives him a solid platform to take the team forward.

I really like Wes Burns as a player - I think that he and Celina may well form the basis of our 3 behind the frontman, and once Edwards is fit it's a mouth-watering proposition.

But for me, by far the best performance of last night was from the 2 DMs - Morsy looks class and Evans benefitted enormously from playing alongside him . How refreshing to see the DMs moving the ball forwards, rather than the negative sideways and backwards and wayward passing a la Skuse.
23 goals for Fleetwood in 134 starts plus 42 sub appearances. I'm seriously underwhelmed. If this is the height of our ambition, God help us
Changed your mind on Wes Burns Gary ? :wink:

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:54 am

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:38 am
Not writing Celina off, but don’t think he should be a shoe-in. Edwards and Chaplin are quality players who would work harder than him.

He delivered a fantastic cross for the third, but we’re going to be in tougher games where we need him to perform from the start. Not just when we’re 2-0 up. I thought he was a passenger in the first half and against better teams we can’t afford to carry passengers.

Squad competition is fierce and many good players can’t make the 18 man squad. I’d prefer him as an option from the bench.

It’s actually a good problem to have.

Great debut from Morsy. Won his tackles and he’s someone who likes to take a few steps forward with the ball and get us on the front foot. Simple front-foot football. So used to watching Skuse intercept a pass and swivel around and deliver a pass sidewards or backwards.
Just the right result we need. Just keep it going and build confidence and belief. Players looked like they enjoyed that as much as the fans.
I think your comment re Edwards is key. If I had to choose Celina or Edwards right now, it would be Edwards all day for me. Its a nice problem to have though after years of no-one in that creative role!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:54 am

Well, it definitely is all about opinions and i totally respect others……. but after witnessing highlights now, (yes ok, against a poor team) its Bersant Celina all day long for me. I’d prefer the defence just get things together and rely less on midfielders tracking back. I do not want Bersant going back. Stay in midfield and get forward / final 3rd and provide all these assists. If not for him, its only 3-0 last night, (which is still good)…… but 6-0….. with it constantly looking like things will happen when he's going forward. If Morsy is the new & better forward thinking Skuse, then Celina stay further up creating , creating , creating.

I actually still can’t quite believe the powers that be managed to get Bersant to the League One version of Ipswich Town. Massive imo, and he’ll show his class from now on after this confidence injection.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:52 am

marko69 wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:54 am
Well, it definitely is all about opinions and i totally respect others……. but after witnessing highlights now, (yes ok, against a poor team) its Bersant Celina all day long for me. I’d prefer the defence just get things together and rely less on midfielders tracking back. I do not want Bersant going back. Stay in midfield and get forward / final 3rd and provide all these assists. If not for him, its only 3-0 last night, (which is still good)…… but 6-0….. with it constantly looking like things will happen when he's going forward. If Morsy is the new & better forward thinking Skuse, then Celina stay further up creating , creating , creating.

I actually still can’t quite believe the powers that be managed to get Bersant to the League One version of Ipswich Town. Massive imo, and he’ll show his class from now on after this confidence injection.
Well if our biggest disagreements are how good Celina is then I’ll settle for that.

The team does look like it’s coming together. Happy with the back four. Coulson and Penney can fight for the LB position- both look decent. Hladky now looks solid.
Looks like it’s Morsy and Evans as deep-midfielders . The front four will be from Burns, Fraser, Bonne and one more from Celina, Edwards, Chaplin and probably 3-4 more. I think it’s taking shape.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am
rossi wrote:

23 goals for Fleetwood in 134 starts plus 42 sub appearances. I'm seriously underwhelmed. If this is the height of our ambition, God help us
lol - I stand by what I originally said about him which was based on what I had seen/known of him at the time he signed. But he wouldn't be the first - and certainly not the last - player who has found his best form following a move

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:06 pm

Great performance last night and long may it continue, agree that switching Celina out wide did the trick, good effort all round though and some nice 'first' goals for the lads too.

On a slightly different note was really nice to see our attendance for a midweek game and so many to witness a good result, will surely help all round!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:41 pm

rossi wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:53 am
rossi wrote:

lol - I stand by what I originally said about him which was based on what I had seen/known of him at the time he signed. But he wouldn't be the first - and certainly not the last - player who has found his best form following a move
To be fair you weren't alone, he has been a revelation, I often look back at what us fans say/think and how we change opinions, some of mine are hilarious, I hope I change with Celina soon too.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:16 pm

You will :wink:

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm

I do agree with Mike that Celina looks lazy but he does have class, I thought the same about Pablo Counago as well i thought he could have done more but 54 goals in 214 games was good I liked him.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Sep 29, 2021 9:32 pm

£10 well spent last night to watch that!

I actually thought we looked a little sloppy for the first 10mins, then we got the goal and we just got better and better.

Morsy was pure class, he will be key for us. Burns was good again, defense looked good, midfield had bite finally and if we looked more of a team.
At this level we have a really good squad and will likely get better and better now players are more settled. Doncaster were SO poor, but we really played well and were inventive an good to watch, and very clinical.

Hoping to get up for the Fleetwood game later this month.

Thrilled with the performance and the players will be desperate now to get to the next game. Also it's great to see them starting to bond now, you saw that with the scenes after the game etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:09 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 8:20 pm
I do agree with Mike that Celina looks lazy but he does have class, I thought the same about Pablo Counago as well i thought he could have done more but 54 goals in 214 games was good I liked him.
Don’t you dare say anything neg about, Pablo!! :lol: