League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we back up Tuesday's great win?

Stanley Win
13%
Town Win
73%
Draw
13%

Total votes: 15

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Accrington Stanley vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:43 pm

What the hell happened there, gave the second half a miss to do other stuff. Thought we'd see it out and go on to add further goals. Haven't seen action as yet or viewed TWTD but can somehow imagine what you're going to find.

Two wins in 10 is not good enough, simple as. The Bolton game told you something and despite picking up one or two encouraging scores along the way you got to believe promotion is beyond us. That's not a negative just a reality of the situation.

Never wanted Cook here from the start, always imagined it were a wrong move and time should see me right. There's something blatantly wrong with us, give the team time, how much time can you tolerate. Shall add further response when garnering more information on today. First, or last, reaction, why do we lose to so many sh*t teams you can arguably say are inferior. This goddamn league, seriously, wonder at times when or if we'll make it back to higher level.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:10 am

I watched the game on ifollow. Paul Cook was right in his post-match interview. Stanley won because they wanted it more. First half, Town were not convincing but had got their noses in front. Second half, they simply capitulated. AS bullied us. Hounding us in possession and using their physical size to intimidate and force us off the ball.

Paul Cook and the team should have been more ready for it. We surely have the skill and acumen in our locker to deal with a team like that. And we knew it was coming - ‘land of the giants’ as someone said.

Personally, I don’t think this result will be significant come the end of the season. But if that’s to be the case, Cook and his team need to learn from the performance.
Last edited by JohnnyB on Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 1:20 am

It’s the same old story. New manager, new players, new owners. I dunno, I can’t give up. Why is it taking so long. Ashamed to say I support ITFC. I need some hope.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:42 am

It makes you wonder if we'll ever be anything other than a sad washed up sham of a football club, we come out with excuse after excuse, week after week, month after month, season after season and still nothing changes. Due to circumstances I've not been to a single away game this season and I have to say I don't miss it one bit, I am of the opinion we will flounder along in mid table until Christmas time where Cook gets the boot and the whole sorry mess starts again.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 7:47 am

Why so down? It's just one game. AS were up for it and we apparently were not. We will learn from it. For a new group like ours these experiences are important and we have to trust that the coaching team can put it right. I still think we will be in a much better place by the end of the month.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:06 am

Its not one game at all, it's Accrington, Morecambe, Burton, Cheltenham, Newport, West Ham kids, MKDons, etc etc etc
Whether its cus I'm feeling unwell atm I really don't know but I'm bored shitless of the whole bloody thing in truth.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 am

Bit of a rude awakening to League One football for Morsy I think judging by his comments here …..

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ss-8381944

Overall I think Town just didn’t cope with the conditions and our style of “ football” probably need to change yesterday to match the conditions ( like they did possibly?).

I can’t be arsed to look on social media or twtd at all the hundreds of ridiculous negative and manager sacking demands there will undoubtedly now be posted. I said at the start of the season, that I felt it would take most of the season for this new team t9 bed in and get up and running as a unitI stand by that. I’m not expecting us to look a proper team until around Christmas tbh. But that’s just my view. Automatic promotion this season is totally unrealistic in my view…. Making the playoffs at the death would be a “ result”, in my eyes, ( given the level of change that’s happened at the Club over the summer). Fans need to take the pressure off themselves and the team /manager by lowering their expectations for this season. The bigger picture is for far more than promotion this season with a brand new set up.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:28 am

That second half was depressing to watch.

The first half wasn’t great, but we held them off pretty comfortably and then snatched a goal from nowhere. I thought then this could become a good ugly scratchy win, but not to be.

If we’d have held out for another 15 mins in the second half maybe AS might have become ragged, but we concede straight after the break and their tails are up.
They’re in our faces and we can’t do nothing other than punt the ball up to their CB’s to easily deal with. So much talent in our team, yet we can’t find them. Not singling Celina out, but this was not a game for him. If Stanley can work us out so easily then any team can. Pretty despondent about this. Need more steel in the team and more savviness. They had a game plan and we looked clueless in the second half.

What I don’t understand is when teams play the high press, they’ll leave space behind - so it’s up to us to find that space and get the ball in those areas. I’ve been loyal to Cook and I’m prepared to be patient, but this was no better than what we had at the start of the season. Can’t see any progression.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:49 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 am
Bit of a rude awakening to League One football for Morsy I think judging by his comments here …..

Overall I think Town just didn’t cope with the conditions and our style of “ football” probably need to change yesterday to match the conditions ( like they did possibly?).

I can’t be arsed to look on social media or twtd at all the hundreds of ridiculous negative and manager sacking demands there will undoubtedly now be posted. I said at the start of the season, that I felt it would take most of the season for this new team t9 bed in and get up and running as a unitI stand by that. I’m not expecting us to look a proper team until around Christmas tbh. But that’s just my view. Automatic promotion this season is totally unrealistic in my view…. Making the playoffs at the death would be a “ result”, in my eyes, ( given the level of change that’s happened at the Club over the summer). Fans need to take the pressure off themselves and the team /manager by lowering their expectations for this season. The bigger picture is for far more than promotion this season with a brand new set up.
I can’t be bothered to look at TWTD. If it’s crap - then you call it crap, but on there there’s a certain bunch who absolutely love to sneer at others and seem to take personal joy when it goes tits up. If they get their wish and Cook goes, then it’ll be the same story where they’ll be on the next manager’s back and anyone who supports him.

I’ll stick with Cook because I don’t see the point in buying a manager a whole new squad and then getting another manager to manage someone else’s squad a month or two later.
Not too bothered about the pizza cup game which we’re bound to lose, but we need a huge improvement against Shrewsbury.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:28 am

Seen quite a few people saying “they wanted it more” and you hear managers say it a lot. :lol: Not sure that’d go over well back in the SBR days.

The Cobbolds: Bob, can i have a word please.
SBR: Sure. Whats up
TC: post match interview, you said they wanted it more?
SBR: yes. Thats correct.
TC: Don't we want it?
SBR: oh yes definitely, we want it, but they wanted it more.
TC: aren’t we supposed to want it more?
SBR: we go into every game believing that we are going to want it more but sometimes it becomes increasingly evident that they in fact are wanting it more.
TC: when will we want it more, Bob?
SBR: well thats a tricky one. You could say we’ll have wanted it more when its evident that the opposition clearly weren’t wanting it as much as us.
TC: So…….., you really dont know when the team will be wanting it more then? Am i right?
SBR: 🤔🤔 Well, yes, you could say that.
TC: Yes. I could. And i could say this. Get your desk cleared.
SBR: Oh. I don’t want that more.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:55 am

Same old story, any team that closes us down quickly and gets in our faces will cause us problems.
People were raving how we performed against Doncaster but they were one of the worst sides I’ve seen at Portman Road for a long time and also gave us plenty of space to play our game. I really feel we need to look at our coaching setup as despite what PC says about putting it right on the training ground whatever is going on there is clearly not working.
Despite the change of ownership and investment in the squad clearly there are still some serious issues at PR which will need addressing quickly before the fan base becomes totally disillusioned again.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:39 am

tangfastic wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:49 am
hallamblue wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 9:20 am

I can’t be bothered to look at TWTD. If it’s crap - then you call it crap, but on there there’s a certain bunch who absolutely love to sneer at others and seem to take personal joy when it goes tits up. If they get their wish and Cook goes, then it’ll be the same story where they’ll be on the next manager’s back and anyone who supports him.

I’ll stick with Cook because I don’t see the point in buying a manager a whole new squad and then getting another manager to manage someone else’s squad a month or two later.
Not too bothered about the pizza cup game which we’re bound to lose, but we need a huge improvement against Shrewsbury.
Quite agree Tang. Cook has pedigree and was doing well in the PL with Wigan until their buy out. I honestly feel Cook is one of the better managers we’ve had over the last decade and I’m expecting him to get these players fulfilling their potential. We all know how tough this division is and we have no divine right to be in that top section . We’ll all have to get patient . That’s it really !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:42 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 10:55 am
Same old story, any team that closes us down quickly and gets in our faces will cause us problems.
People were raving how we performed against Doncaster but they were one of the worst sides I’ve seen at Portman Road for a long time and also gave us plenty of space to play our game. I really feel we need to look at our coaching setup as despite what PC says about putting it right on the training ground whatever is going on there is clearly not working.
Despite the change of ownership and investment in the squad clearly there are still some serious issues at PR which will need addressing quickly before the fan base becomes totally disillusioned again.
You may well have a point about some of coaches are the club. PC picked them, so his job ultimately hangs on their performance. But I do wonder if he needs an experienced number 2 alongside him.

I think his long term number 2 staying at Wigan broke up a very effective partnership , because that’s what gets results in the game in the management set up . I’d hope Ashton would be having a quiet word with him about this .

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:52 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:06 am
Its not one game at all, it's Accrington, Morecambe, Burton, Cheltenham, Newport, West Ham kids, MKDons, etc etc etc
Whether its cus I'm feeling unwell atm I really don't know but I'm bored shitless of the whole bloody thing in truth.
Not only that but I don't remember us winning a pre-season game either although may be wrong. I know you're not supposed to put those kind of events into context but the level of opposition we must have faced would have been (largely) lesser than League One level.

I think fans get carried away maybe by the odd or very random occasion the team procures an encouraging score or result and overlook any and all sh*t around it. I look at the opponents listed in the above and realize (or accept) we've failed to beat any one of them. This is essentially not good enough particularly when you take into account we've brought in new manager, new owners and a whole new team with exception of one or two old guard names.

I saw game highlights in the end although they never really show the full picture. I hope we're not pinning any promotion aspects on Bonne or one player alone as it simply isn't going to work. Saw a topic on one of our other forums yesterday where someone suggests we're a soft touch. Not enough aggression or steel to take to the field. I think they got a valid point there somehow.

Wish you every success also in recovery from the Virus is it. You'll be back to optimum health in no time, until then just remain upbeat (about health matters, forget the team it's not important compared to personal illness) and let time do it's job.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:48 pm

Disappointing, but please give Paul Cook time.

We will get there.

rossi

Post by rossi » Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:52 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:48 pm

We will get there.
and exactly how much time would you like to see him given, Billy?

He's already had a lot more time than many managers have been given. Last season's squad - the one he inherited - was, according to him, nowhere near good enough, so he had the luxury and backing from the owners to assemble his own squad for this season. His own choice of players, who he said would change the face of the team, and yet players who yesterday would not run or fight for him.

This season so far has not moved on at all from last season - there is one common denominator.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:11 pm

saint jude wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:52 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 8:06 am
Not only that but I don't remember us winning a pre-season game either although may be wrong. I know you're not supposed to put those kind of events into context but the level of opposition we must have faced would have been (largely) lesser than League One level.

I think fans get carried away maybe by the odd or very random occasion the team procures an encouraging score or result and overlook any and all sh*t around it. I look at the opponents listed in the above and realize (or accept) we've failed to beat any one of them. This is essentially not good enough particularly when you take into account we've brought in new manager, new owners and a whole new team with exception of one or two old guard names.

I saw game highlights in the end although they never really show the full picture. I hope we're not pinning any promotion aspects on Bonne or one player alone as it simply isn't going to work. Saw a topic on one of our other forums yesterday where someone suggests we're a soft touch. Not enough aggression or steel to take to the field. I think they got a valid point there somehow.

Wish you every success also in recovery from the Virus is it. You'll be back to optimum health in no time, until then just remain upbeat (about health matters, forget the team it's not important compared to personal illness) and let time do it's job.
Many thanks SJ, I sincerely hope you are right cus I'm rough as hell atm, it really does drain you. As for the footy, where the hell would we be without Bonne ? The mind boggles

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:42 pm

rossi wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 5:52 pm
barmy billy wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 4:48 pm

We will get there.
and exactly how much time would you like to see him given, Billy?

He's already had a lot more time than many managers have been given. Last season's squad - the one he inherited - was, according to him, nowhere near good enough, so he had the luxury and backing from the owners to assemble his own squad for this season. His own choice of players, who he said would change the face of the team, and yet players who yesterday would not run or fight for him.

This season so far has not moved on at all from last season - there is one common denominator.
I would like to see PC given the next 4-5 weeks. Unless a big improvement is seen in that time, I would support a change. As you say, we saw an attitude yesterday of players not prepered to fight. That is worrying, but I would still give PC time to sort it.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 am

Kind of makes me angry when people insist on the give it time route. Here is a club name and set-up that has been sitting on it's as* for the best part of 15 years, I mean how much time do you allow it. Fans the world over are disgruntled and at now long-term unrest, would imagine partiicularly so those that attend at Portman Road regular and away trips also.

Right now and at this very moment not sure what to make of Cook. On one hand I'm prepared to allow it futher time and wish him to succeed but the other side of it being I somehow just can't see it (ever) working for him here and will simply follow in the steps of a host of failed names going back to Magilton.

Wouldn't label him as maverick or even incompetent, just feel the name and persona is too bland and unimaginative for the heady task of hoping to take this club name back to something of stature you can be proud in.

rossi

Post by rossi » Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:27 am

saint jude wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 am
Kind of makes me angry when people insist on the give it time route. Here is a club name and set-up that has been sitting on it's as* for the best part of 15 years, I mean how much time do you allow it. Fans the world over are disgruntled and at now long-term unrest, would imagine partiicularly so those that attend at Portman Road regular and away trips also.

Right now and at this very moment not sure what to make of Cook. On one hand I'm prepared to allow it futher time and wish him to succeed but the other side of it being I somehow just can't see it (ever) working for him here and will simply follow in the steps of a host of failed names going back to Magilton.

Wouldn't label him as maverick or even incompetent, just feel the name and persona is too bland and unimaginative for the heady task of hoping to take this club name back to something of stature you can be proud in.
I still think the main problem with PC is that he was appointed by ME, the football no-brain who only made one half decent managerial appointment and then refused to back him financially. Call it a stupid notion, and I know it doesn't make much sense, but there you are.

One gripe I have with PC is he is so one-dimensional as a manager - 4-2-3-1, and every opponent knows exactly how we're going to play.
Against a team like Accrington, it was crying out for a 3-5-2 or even 4-4-2, especially given that our attacking ideas were limited to lumping the ball forward - seems that PC was the only person that couldn't see that.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:04 am

rossi wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:27 am
saint jude wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:41 am

I still think the main problem with PC is that he was appointed by ME, the football no-brain who only made one half decent managerial appointment and then refused to back him financially. Call it a stupid notion, and I know it doesn't make much sense, but there you are.

One gripe I have with PC is he is so one-dimensional as a manager - 4-2-3-1, and every opponent knows exactly how we're going to play.
Against a team like Accrington, it was crying out for a 3-5-2 or even 4-4-2, especially given that our attacking ideas were limited to lumping the ball forward - seems that PC was the only person that couldn't see that.
He was appointed by ME, but the owners had a choice at the end of last season - stick with Cook or pay him off. The amount of investment in this squad whereby we’ve given 3-4 year contracts and spent a lot on fees indicates they backed him to the hilt. A pay off would have been expensive, but nowhere near comparatively as buying a whole new squad. And O’Leary and Ashton would have had a say.

And you’re right, Cook is one-dimensional. He can only play 4-2-3-1. But it has been successful before. How did he get away with it for so long before if it’s so obvious to play against? Has he finally been found out or could it be that it really will click at some point?
Hard to back Cook at the moment, but with the level of investment the owners have given to Cook …. would they really pull the plug so quickly?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:06 am

Ashton and his boss ( can’t recall his name right now), both said Cook’s name was also on their list when the two parties got down to comparing “ which next boss “ notes, though Gary.

I know it’s really frustrating how we are atm . I am like others , starting to question things re PC. But to my mind it’s going to take most of this season for things to fully settle down . That’s just how it is . The only thing I would challenge re PC is his lack of number 2 . I do think Ashton may question that .

Personally I’m expecting us to start to string things together from around Christmas onwards .
I fully expect Cook to be given at least until this time, but We shall see .

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:56 am

Things need to improve and fast think we can all agree on that.

I did not listen or watch the game but I get the feeling PC needs some help here with a assistant, 1 - 0 up and we should go on to finish the game, why didn't we?

is PC to slow to react? made the wrong changes? tactically and with subs. Im not expert so appreciate some feedback but people who actually watch the game

Surely we cannot go on for much longer using excuses, he has a great squad with good options so I am not sure they are the problem surely?

I want the bloke to succeed, really do as I like him, but im now having some doubts at the mo whether he is going to turn this around.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:17 pm

This is all becoming to familiar,
Lambert without Culverhouse,
Cook without Richardson,
Very similar isn’t it? bit like a rally driver without his navigator! It just doesn’t work.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Oct 04, 2021 12:42 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:56 am
Things need to improve and fast think we can all agree on that.

I did not listen or watch the game but I get the feeling PC needs some help here with a assistant, 1 - 0 up and we should go on to finish the game, why didn't we?

is PC to slow to react? made the wrong changes? tactically and with subs. Im not expert so appreciate some feedback but people who actually watch the game

Surely we cannot go on for much longer using excuses, he has a great squad with good options so I am not sure they are the problem surely?

I want the bloke to succeed, really do as I like him, but im now having some doubts at the mo whether he is going to turn this around.
I do think Cook made a bad decision not to bring in an assistant from the start. Take the pressure and workload off. Now, maybe he’s getting stubborn and wants to turn it around himself so that no-one can say it’s the assistant that is the key. Just adds more pressure on himself.

I do wonder about the make-up of our squad. We look light of a couple more hard-as-nails players and we’ve got too many front-four players. Wouldn’t it have been better to concentrate in bringing in a couple more tough, uncompromising players in defence or CM than buying in every striker, winger, number 10’ available. Plenty of quality and they have championship experience, but look far too flimsy.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:15 pm

I want to see him succeed too but it does seem strange not having a No 2 in place with an extra pair of eyes and a second opinion.
Two things disappointed me on Saturday, the first was how easily they bullied us out of the game and the second which is no doubt linked is how often we gave the ball away to concede possession. Hopefully these two areas will be fixed before Saturday because a defeat by Shrewsbury really would be unacceptable.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:40 am
Where can you watch it Andy ?

I’m lucky Mike as I have a feast of footie on my tv which includes 54 live football channels which cover every Premier League, Championship and League 1 game regardless of day of the week and a further 98 Sports Channels inc Sky Sports, BT Sport and many more from around the world. This is the first year we’ve had every League 1 game covered live so just having to make sure my golf commitments don’t clash with the footie.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:17 pm

I’ll be over in half and hour Andy :D 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:51 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:

I’m lucky Mike as I have a feast of footie on my tv which includes 54 live football channels which cover every Premier League, Championship and League 1 game regardless of day of the week and a further 98 Sports Channels inc Sky Sports, BT Sport and many more from around the world. This is the first year we’ve had every League 1 game covered live so just having to make sure my golf commitments don’t clash with the footie.
Surely not legal though…

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Oct 04, 2021 6:46 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:12 pm
Bluemike wrote:

Same here and if buffering just use a channel from Hong Kong with English commentary.👍😂😂😂