Mark Ashton makes plea to Ipswich fans

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Mark Ashton makes plea to Ipswich fans

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 5:42 pm

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/mark- ... town-fans/

Considering all the negative comments about Ashton before he arrived at ITFC, how does everyone feel about him now? I'm curious to know how Rossi feels especially, since he always seems to play the Devils Advocate. Even though the season hasn't gone as many of us would have liked, I think Ashton has been very professional. He has also supported Cook to the hilt. It's looking like the team is slowly beginning to settle, and hopefully the results will remain positive.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Mark Ashton makes plea to Ipswich fans

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:00 pm

I wish him luck with his plea because as I have said for years now an element of our fanbase are the most uneducated bunch of morons you will ever meet who like nothing more than seeing us fail, thankfully they are outnumbered but still it causes unrest.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 pm

I’ve never seen the problem with Ashton . He gets things done . Communicates with all parties well. Appears passionate about this Club. What’s not to like? 🤷‍♀️

The noise coming from Brizzle fans I think is down to them being gutted that he’s left them for us. A lot of what you see at Bristol ( infrastructure, players , income ) is down to Ashton .

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 pm
I’ve never seen the problem with Ashton . He gets things done . Communicates with all parties well. Appears passionate about this Club. What’s not to like? 🤷‍♀️

The noise coming from Brizzle fans I think is down to them being gutted that he’s left them for us. A lot of what you see at Bristol ( infrastructure, players , income ) is down to Ashton .
Nice thread, 9

I completely agree, Hallam, i did my own research on Ashtons tenure at Bristol City and it seems he was constantly active and trying to get deals done etc. The discontent from City fans and their, “good luck with this dude” bull confused me.

In my humble opinion……. If things go sour, (things wont) …, it wont be down to Mark Ashton.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:37 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:00 pm
I wish him luck with his plea because as I have said for years now an element of our fanbase are the most uneducated bunch of morons you will ever meet who like nothing more than seeing us fail, thankfully they are outnumbered but still it causes unrest.
Maybe that plea is to fans like you BM? You have to sing louder to drown out the boo boys? We’re building something here…we’ve wanted change for so long. So when we go down a goal, it’s time to motivate the players. Players like Bonne who takes the time to recognize & acknowledge a fan like Maddy or Derek. If you hear the boo boys, sing louder. I would if I was there!

COYB!!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Oct 12, 2021 11:50 pm

Sing this:
“For he’s a Bonnie Boy, for he’s a Bonnie Boy, for he’s a Bonnie Boy…clap, clap, clap, clap!”

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:14 am

ManUtd supporters club have songs for every player. WTF is our supporters club doing aside from posting disparaging banners and setting off fireworks at the practice ground? I wish I was there to straighten out the idiots! I’ve been hit in the head with a bottle by so called Ipswich fans cuz I asked what time it was. We need to weed out these numbskull fans.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:27 am

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 8:47 pm

You got it wrong Bessie, the majority were overjoyed when he up and left particularly joining up with a club set-up on the other side of a country.

Didn't see all that went on there but left a considerable stain of sorts and had reached loathing of considerable proportion at time of departure. Guess in a way it's the same with Evans here. Some offered defense and listed any and all positives at time of leaving, however the general consensus being one of dissatisfaction and ridicule. I think that crowd interaction from what was it, the Lincoln victory, was perhaps perceived the wrong way by some but it showed enthusiasm and Ashton wanted to show certain intent and bring some adulation on board with a new employer.

If he's a big hit here then more power to him although prefer to focus on the team and players themselves to get things done. Ashton can play his part backstage and involvements et cetera but the pivotal action will take place on the field itself.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 1:07 am

Do you have anything positive to say about ITFC, Saint? Seriously starting to think you’re a closet budgie fan.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:48 am

Just a bit more than six months ago we had an owner who had no real interest in the club, very little nous of how to run a football club and no infrastructure in place. Also, a manager who was taking us slowly nowhere and a massive squad of players who were either over the hill and/or weren’t good enough.
Now we have owners who at least seem to have a plan and a proper CEO in place. Also, a manager who’s got a good track record. We bring in a complete new squad at great expense. Yes….. the early results have been disappointing, but given the choice between going back to where we were and where we are now…..I’d take this anyday. It’s not as if we had much to build on when the owners and Cook took over. We had to start again. There’s an element of our fanbase who’s completely used to sticking the boot in when things don’t go our way. And they seem to enjoy it. That’s different to being disappointed and frustrated when we put in a bad performance. One big reason why I’m sticking with this regime at the moment is because if we get another manager, he’ll be a few games away from receiving the same treatment and we’ll be stuck in a vicious cycle.

Ashton is a bit showy, but he seems a proper CEO where he can get deals done and at least tries to make things happen.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:12 am

Absolutely spot on and you couldn't be more correct regarding the "element of our fanbase" part.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:20 am

I have no problem with Mark Ashton - IMO he's a bloody good CEO, and we would have had a hell of a job to get a better one.

However, I don't think he's right to insinuate - if indeed he was - that the fans are not doing a good enough job in terms of support. We have big enough attendance - positively vocal for at least the start of the games, and the only time there is booing is when we do something like throw away a 1 goal lead and lose, which is fair enough, fans pay their money and are entitled to voice their opinions.

My problem remains with PC - IMO he's far too one-dimensional to succeed over a long season: and in any case I absolutely hate 4-2-3-1, that is my personal opinion of course but, hey, criticism is personal.

As for playing devils advocate - well, I don't. It's true that I have been know to deliberately wind people up on occasions - and derive a great deal of fun in the process - but I never ever say anything other than how I see it.
Last edited by rossi on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:01 am

Looking over the Ipswich based forums, there are quite a large amount of people skeptical about Cookie. He has indeed been massively helped by Ashton in making his player choices become reality….., ticked box for Mark..,,… but for Paul to at least start winning the other half of skeptics over, he needs to negotiate a convincing, no nonsense win @ Cambridge.
As Tangfastic says, it was a rebuild from nothing, (Hursts “nothing” imo) and fans need to be able to use their patience to see it unfold, (Accrington DID NOT help the cause), but improvement with every game should be starting to be noticed.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:18 pm

For me the jury is still out on Ashton. Think I will wait for 2-3 years and see if these foundations that he is putting in place actually hold up or turn out to be paper thin.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 pm

I personally think Ashton has been the best summer signing by an absolute distance

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Oct 13, 2021 9:16 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Oct 13, 2021 8:55 pm
I personally think Ashton has been the best summer signing by an absolute distance
Yes indeed, i totally agree. Lets be honest, Ashton has brought huge breath of fresh air to our club

Million times better than anything had in the recent past

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 6:36 am

Agree with the above. And he's nicely disguised the fact that we have swapped one absentee owner for another one. Not that I'm complaining at all, rather the opposite. But it is a nice irony.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Oct 14, 2021 8:06 am

The new owners aren't absent though, I've already seen more of them than I ever saw of Evans, i am sure of it wasn't for this bloody pandemic they would have been over here.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:51 am

I'm sure you are right Mike, at least for a while. But I suspect we won't be seeing much of them at PR and at least ME was often at matches.

I guess the lesson for ME is that he maybe should have appointed someone like Ashton under him to be the face of the club. Those he did appoint were underwhelming and not really up to the job it seems.