Cardiff City

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

number 9

Cardiff City

Post by number 9 » Fri Oct 22, 2021 4:50 pm

Just noticed Cardiff have lost their last seven games!

Well done, Mick! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Cardiff City

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:05 pm

Great manager lol

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:58 pm

Apparently was given two games to keep his job before the Fulham job ( which they lost 2-0).

He’s been playing 5 CBs with two as wing-backs ( one being Mark McGuiness).

I think he knows he’s toast. One of this situations where fans - and maybe manager - wouldn’t mind losing this one.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Oct 22, 2021 6:06 pm

Had a look on the Cardiff forum the other day and their fans love him, Not!!!
Boring football, just hoofball. Sounds familiar. :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Oct 22, 2021 7:19 pm

It's all someone else's fault, not his.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:17 am

Somehow give two shits for McCarthy. He's not our business no more, soon as he exited the club you accepted it was likely to be someone else's mess to clean up.

You see bits of related news here and there, at times it's near unavoidable or slips out such as the South Wales derby loss just recent (a game of such magnitude will appear on the radar) and believe when first started there, a great run with a number of successive wins.

It's the other end of the spectrum now and McCarthy being found out once again for the one-trick, lousy score maestro that he is. Other than that there really isn't much else to include.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:55 am

Funny how its virtually the same outcome at every club he has been at!
Still he can always go back to Barnsley, I hear they are short of dinosaurs in the town’s museum.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 am

“Be careful what you wish for”, McCarthy

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:03 am

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:35 am
“Be careful what you wish for”, McCarthy
Well, 🤷‍♂️, that was said with the Mevans regime in his mind. He was 100% correct.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:32 pm

Early kick-offs for both Cardiff and Norwich.

Cardiff 1-0 down at home to Boro at HT. Norwich 3-0 down at Chelsea at HT.

Come on, Mick… this is the match to save your job. Too easy to get sacked and take the big pay-off. Prefer for him to win this one and keep the job a bit longer so as to keep the misery going. Always remember him saying “that went well” when we got relegated and sticking the knife in.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:49 pm

.... and sacked he is and embarrassed were Norwich who were well and truly thrashed at Stamford Bridge.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:03 pm

"That went well, Mick!" :lol:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:42 pm

what was it, 7 - 0 or something. We lost by the same score there in the FA Cup around ten years ago, may have been a year or two before it.

don't think McCarthy was manager for us then, most likely Keane or Jewell. Point being imagine the irony if it were.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:10 pm

All the best Mick. You arrogant useless prat.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm

I'm only pleased as i can get back to hating Cardiff again, 8)
Mick & Clipboard Yow Still legends and winners op ere. been there and done it, as the pic's can prove,

Championship Winners. Wolves
Championship Winners. Sunderland
FIFA World Cup 2002. Republic of Ireland.
Niall Quinn's World Cup 2002 diary: Germany - This is just about as good as it gets...

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm

He’s just another past his sell by date, the game has moved on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 pm

Do know John, it’s really odd that he got your Wolves playing the brand of attacking footie that he did when you got promoted (I remember very well your lot steam - rollering us 3-0 at PR that season, yet he never at anytime tired to play that style of game when he was manager at Town …..or Cardiff it seems.

Did he build your Wolves team, or inherit it ?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:47 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:58 pm
He’s just another past his sell by date, the game has moved on.
your right, I think it moved on from his era 5 to 10 years ago, albeit a shame,

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:16 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:46 pm
Do know John, it’s really odd that he got your Wolves playing the brand of attacking footie that he did when you got promoted (I remember very well your lot steam - rollering us 3-0 at PR that season, yet he never at anytime tired to play that style of game when he was manager at Town …..or Cardiff it seems.

Did he build your Wolves team, or inherit it ?

he inherited a squad of journeymen and Hoddles friends retirement funds, he built a squad of kids from lower and non leagues clubs,
then the usual stuff, he got us in the Premier Lg so the owner decides not to invest in the team but build a new stand for 40 million, ?
Mick kept us in that league for 3 season until the owner under minded him, .

As I've said before, M Evans asked Mick to come and help the Town stay in the Championship, Which he did, with no money to achieve an entertaining side,
Your Owner just sat back and let Mick and Clipboard get the insults from the fickle fans , glad he gave it back to them, just as he did to ours,
don't think there is a person on here who wouldn't.

There is more to the Cardiff story,
Last edited by goldandblack on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:36 pm

I completely understand your stance G&B. MM will go down in history as one of Wolves’ successful managers. I’m sure Norwich fans feel the same about Lambert and perhaps Shrewsbury fans feel the same about Hurst. Alas, all excuses aside Mick didn’t finish the job with us. He turned on the fans and he has wallowed a little bit on the failures of our great club since he left.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 pm

McCarthy did a tremendous job at Cardiff last season, rescued them after the mess Harris made.
Huge spending cuts and a loss of numerous top level pros to be left with a number of academy players and guess what, they struggle.
My criticism of him though is that his initial contract was to the end of last season. Given what was happening in the summer his experience and knowledge should have led him to walk away. Instead he took the contract and got the inevitable sack. Cardiff is a nightmare job at the moment and needs investment or they will go down.

Sick and tired of hearing the word dinosour attached to men like Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis, McCarthy, Hughton, the list is endless.
I remember arguing on a BBC forum when David Moyes go the West Ham job first time round that he would make them a top 10 side.
I was told he was a dinosour and well past his sell by date.
I remember Graham Taylor being well by his sell by date and then he got Watford promoted.

Constant abuse of decent men who have all done tremendous work in football. No wonder Arteta was saying managers are wanting out.
Maybe this type of article can explain the mentality today ?
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... -lockdowns

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:48 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:12 pm
I'm only pleased as i can get back to hating Cardiff again, 8)
Mick & Clipboard Yow Still legends and winners op ere. been there and done it, as the pic's can prove,

Championship Winners. Wolves
Championship Winners. Sunderland
FIFA World Cup 2002. Republic of Ireland.
Niall Quinn's World Cup 2002 diary: Germany - This is just about as good as it gets...
I agree and his World Cup run with Ireland when he binned Keane was tremendous.
Fine manager and top bloke but should have never taken the Cardiff contract this season

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:49 pm

bluejacko wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:55 am
Funny how its virtually the same outcome at every club he has been at!
Still he can always go back to Barnsley, I hear they are short of dinosaurs in the town’s museum.
Your the dinosaur ?

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:08 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:44 pm
McCarthy did a tremendous job at Cardiff last season, rescued them after the mess Harris made.
Huge spending cuts and a loss of numerous top level pros to be left with a number of academy players and guess what, they struggle.
My criticism of him though is that his initial contract was to the end of last season. Given what was happening in the summer his experience and knowledge should have led him to walk away. Instead he took the contract and got the inevitable sack. Cardiff is a nightmare job at the moment and needs investment or they will go down.

Sick and tired of hearing the word dinosour attached to men like Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis, McCarthy, Hughton, the list is endless.
I remember arguing on a BBC forum when David Moyes go the West Ham job first time round that he would make them a top 10 side.
I was told he was a dinosour and well past his sell by date.
I remember Graham Taylor being well by his sell by date and then he got Watford promoted.

Constant abuse of decent men who have all done tremendous work in football. No wonder Arteta was saying managers are wanting out.
Maybe this type of article can explain the mentality today ?
https://www.theguardian.com/money/2021/ ... -lockdowns

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:36 pm
I completely understand your stance G&B. MM will go down in history as one of Wolves’ successful managers. I’m sure Norwich fans feel the same about Lambert and perhaps Shrewsbury fans feel the same about Hurst. Alas, all excuses aside Mick didn’t finish the job with us. He turned on the fans and he has wallowed a little bit on the failures of our great club since he left.
Given the stick MM got at PR he has hardly wallowed in the failure. MM doesn't own Ipswich Town's failure.
He didn't finish the job as there wasn't the opportunity to finish it. The job changed to survival.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:41 pm

number 9 wrote:
I believe you just hit on the BIG connection of all these managers so called failings, All at Ipswich Town owned by M Evans,

Anyway regardless all have now moved on and it looks like the Town have turned the corner, Onwards and Upwards,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:15 pm
number 9 wrote:
Given the stick MM got at PR he has hardly wallowed in the failure. MM doesn't own Ipswich Town's failure.
He didn't finish the job as there wasn't the opportunity to finish it. The job changed to survival.
Fair enough Valley, but Mick quit on us remember? He certainly has his accolades and he has been a very good manager. I just thought he was unprofessional with how he reacted to the negative fans. If he would have focused on the positive fans, I’d have more respect for him as far as ITFC is concerned.

goldandblack

Post by goldandblack » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:23 pm

number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm
valleyroad wrote:
number 9 wrote:
Fair enough Valley, but Mick quit on us remember? He certainly has his accolades and he has been a very good manager. I just thought he was unprofessional with how he reacted to the negative fans. If he would have focused on the positive fans, I’d have more respect for him as far as ITFC is concerned.
To be honest 9, I respect him more for quitting and giving it back big time, as some of the stick he got was pretty gross, even on here there was no positive fans,
To often managers just take the stick, get the sack and wish the clubs and fans well as their passing comment, ( like Bruce at Newcastle) Why?thats not what they really think is it, also him and his family were getting threats,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:32 pm

goldandblack wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:23 pm
number 9 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:47 pm
valleyroad wrote:

To be honest 9, I respect him more for quitting and giving it back big time, as some of the stick he got was pretty gross, even on here there was no positive fans,
To often managers just take the stick, get the sack and wish the clubs and fans well as their passing comment, ( like Bruce at Newcastle) Why?thats not what they really think is it, also him and his family were getting threats,
I respect your response G&B…but that’s part & parcel of being a public figure. I’m not saying I agree with the threats & criticism, but that goes along with being a well paid football manager.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:39 am

Criticism certainly should come to well paid bosses not performing up to scratch, even underpaid bosses……. But threats should never. Will never be able to understand “death threats” in sport. Makes no sense at all.
What variety of moron sends a threat to someone who they want to do a BETTER job? Surely that person is now more worried about the threat than concentrating on doing a better job? 🤷‍♂️