League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Are we on the start of a roll?

Ipswich Win
82%
Fleetwood Win
9%
Draw
9%

Total votes: 22

arana peligrosa

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Fleetwood Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:21 pm

As an aside, Walter Smith (former Glasgow Ramgers and Everton team coach) has passed on aged 73. Some may have missed it or general apathy but can recognize the accomplishments made in Scotland at least. Smith is, or was, Rangers top three of most successful managers ever. Felt it warranted mention without need of a further thread item.

Died a few hours back following a spell of ill health. The SPL and former managers and players have been hit hard and paying condolences. Best to the family and closest relatives. You can view full stories on the Daily Record site, am unable to supply a link to it right now.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Oct 26, 2021 4:27 pm

Saw this earlier, sad sad news, always came across as a decent bloke and pretty articulate for the world of Football, RIP.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Tue Oct 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Yep, bit of a shock. 73 isn’t really overly old these days. Used to be when more people gaffed 40 unfiltered Players a day!

RIP Walter Smith. Very good manager back in the day for the now defunct Glasgow Rangers FC.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:06 pm

Hey all,

Bit late in reporting but I was at the game on the weekend, brilliant to experience that late winner.

I feel a bit odd about the game, we were the better side by far but we weren't as clinical as we have been - but still created chances which is good, and very always on the front foot.
Walton did ok, so should keep his place I feel - however first half we did pretty much always kick it long and Bonne did OK getting on the end but it doesn't suit us IMO, we just lost the second ball most of the time, I'd rather see us play out as we clearly have players who can get on the ball and play.

Aluko looks class, you can tell his has played at higher levels as he is very composed and see's passes others don't. Morsey is key - 100% the one we cannot lose to injury (or inevitable suspension), he is the pivot in midfield and does the dirtry work as well as being able to play, plus he really compliments Evans (who has some lovely passing to his game). The number 20 Jay Matete was very impressive first half, really assured in midfield and playing the ball around nicely, Morsey left one on him in the 2nd half and seemed to shut him down thankfully as he looked dangerous and very central to Fleetwood.

Edwards wasn't terrible but didn't do much for me, unsure if he should stay or be swapped out for the next match as Celina is maybe still a bit rusty. Maybe Fraser can come back in when fit.

Donacian struggled 1st half to beat his man or get a good cross in, which was a shame as he often had alot of space high up on the right wing, thankfully better in the second half.

Burns looked good again, Celina did nothing and lost the ball a few times..........then turns up with that goal. Penny had a solid enough game.

Bonne is a constant threat - always a handful for teams.

The conversation rate against us is still a bit worrying, we could get a spanking from someone if we have an off day upfront. I think we did enough to win the game but I wasn't blown away, but we do have goals in us and are usually very good and converting chances.

The depth we have is impressive though, still feel we might want another top class center back as although Toto was ok he wasn't hugely impressive. Edmudson was mostly good but got away with a few slightly sloppy touches etc.

I didn't get enough feeling to be overly confident in the month ahead, but lets see - I think we are better suited to playing teams who don't just sit back, but saying that I knew we had a chance to win the game once Fleetwood scored as they only wanted a point and totally sat back after that goal. I think we will really have a feel for the quality of this team in the next 5 games.