League 1 - Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back from Saturday with a win?

Wycombe Win
29%
Ipswich Win
43%
Draw
29%

Total votes: 21

Tangfastic

Re: League 1 - Wycombe Wanderers vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:18 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:46 am
Thanks Liz but can't get them over here, they are blocked if outside UK. I'll have to wait for the official club Youtube...
Are you able to get access to iFollow highlights? They’re usually extended highlights - like 9-10 mins long.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:20 am

I can get highlights on YouTube (and ifollow) in Hanoi, Vietnam. So would imagine that would work for you Dubai

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:34 am

Got them on youtube too now thanks. Great goals, especially Burns. Love the way Celina celebrates his goals.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:41 am

I am well chuffed with that result - it wasnt what I was expecting at all. Have to say that I really enjoyed large parts of the match.

Looks to me as though this squad is starting to fulfill it's potential - I still believe we have the strongest squad in the league by far. We still look suspect at the back, but I cannot deny that we are scoring plenty and playing in a fairly entertaining style despite using what I consider to be the most negative formation.

Does this mean I have changed my opinions on PC? Not at all, as others have said if he had played a system against Plymouth that complimented the players available we could well have won it. But I hope that the playing staff we have will compensate for the managerial deficiencies and that we can really push on from here.

Oh, one final thing - Bonne's goal was extremely well taken, Edwards part in it was to cross the ball not too well in that it went to their goalkeeper who fluffed it, so not a lot of credit to Edwards for that in my book. We have better options than him.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:51 am

I'm not sure any other league 1 side is capable of going the whole season without experiencing a poor patch, hopefully we've had ours so can carry on charging up the table, definitely all to play for still with so many games left to play

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:01 am

Nice post match summary here guys if you want to have a listen ….

https://jwp.io/s/820pdKCS

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:17 am

I again paid to watch via iFollow, I’m more than happy to spend out this season when it’s so entertaining.

Wycombe were very direct and very good in that first 20mins, but as soon as we could get on the ball, get it down and play we started to really open them up and I was so impressed with how we moved it around and switched the play, the tactic and cooks method is starting to bed in now I believe.

Second half we had a rough spell and I was amazed we handled it as usually the direct / balls in the air approach against us is our weakness.
I thought everyone was good last nihht, KVY did well, Burges ar LB was surprisingly good and Edwards grew into the game. Celina was better and had the knack of making a difference with a goal or assist when we need it.

Overall we should be very pleased with that result and performance- it was a genuine test and we handled it very well.

Hope we can rest some players - get some fitness back for those who have been out and some minutes in the legs of those on the fringes in these next games

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:48 am

I know some find it difficult to give praise to Paul Cook but ultimately he’s the one who takes the blame when it goes wrong (as at Plymouth) and he’s the one who should take credit when it goes well. In the modern game players play to instructions and when they fail to do that they lose their place in the team.
Paul Cook has a track record of playing exciting and entertaining football and that’s exactly what we witnessed last night, anyone who can’t see his influence on this team must be either suffering from blinkered vision or perhaps too stubborn to admit they might be wrong about their assessment of him.
On an aside, can anyone remember how long it is since we had a manager who could get a Town team playing with so much flair and attacking style.
I just can’t wait for our next few games which I think are Oxford at home, followed by Sunderland away and Rotherham at home, all sides above us in the table. After last night I don’t think we could be going into these games at a better time. I just hope I’m not disappointed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:21 am

rossi wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:41 am
I am well chuffed with that result - it wasnt what I was expecting at all. Have to say that I really enjoyed large parts of the match.

Looks to me as though this squad is starting to fulfill it's potential - I still believe we have the strongest squad in the league by far. We still look suspect at the back, but I cannot deny that we are scoring plenty and playing in a fairly entertaining style despite using what I consider to be the most negative formation.

Does this mean I have changed my opinions on PC? Not at all, as others have said if he had played a system against Plymouth that complimented the players available we could well have won it. But I hope that the playing staff we have will compensate for the managerial deficiencies and that we can really push on from here.

Oh, one final thing - Bonne's goal was extremely well taken, Edwards part in it was to cross the ball not too well in that it went to their goalkeeper who fluffed it, so not a lot of credit to Edwards for that in my book. We have better options than him.
I would have Burns in the side ahead of Edwards any day of the week. Burns should be a definite starter for us.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:48 am
I know some find it difficult to give praise to Paul Cook but ultimately he’s the one who takes the blame when it goes wrong (as at Plymouth) and he’s the one who should take credit when it goes well. In the modern game players play to instructions and when they fail to do that they lose their place in the team.
Paul Cook has a track record of playing exciting and entertaining football and that’s exactly what we witnessed last night, anyone who can’t see his influence on this team must be either suffering from blinkered vision or perhaps too stubborn to admit they might be wrong about their assessment of him.
On an aside, can anyone remember how long it is since we had a manager who could get a Town team playing with so much flair and attacking style.
I just can’t wait for our next few games which I think are Oxford at home, followed by Sunderland away and Rotherham at home, all sides above us in the table. After last night I don’t think we could be going into these games at a better time. I just hope I’m not disappointed.
I think at times it works the other way Andy, personally I have heaped loads of praise on Cook when its been warranted, I love what he did in clearing the decks etc, I feel some find it difficult to criticise him though and that shouldn't be the case, it could be argued that should we miss out on promotion by 4 or 5 points it is down to his ridiculous team selections and substitutions at Cambridge and Plymouth that cost us 5 points.

Aside from that he got it bang on last night and we were a joy to watch, if we keep playing like that we'll go up.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:48 am

Also, Celina needs to stop taking his bloody shirt off when he scores, that's 2 needless yellow cards in 3 games.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:10 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 am
Charnwood wrote:
I think at times it works the other way Andy, personally I have heaped loads of praise on Cook when its been warranted, I love what he did in clearing the decks etc, I feel some find it difficult to criticise him though and that shouldn't be the case, it could be argued that should we miss out on promotion by 4 or 5 points it is down to his ridiculous team selections and substitutions at Cambridge and Plymouth that cost us 5 points.

Aside from that he got it bang on last night and we were a joy to watch, if we keep playing like that we'll go up.
Not sure how many bad decisions Cook has made that have cost us points. We’ve absolutely thrown away so many points due to being too weak-minded and poor defensively whilst the squad has been getting to know each other. With the Plymouth game we could have easily gone in 1-0 up at HT before Penney messed up. And even with those selections we created even more clear-cut chances at Plymouth than probably at Wycombe. We should have drawn that one, and could have won it.
The substitutions against Cambridge pissed me of more as it was simply a kind of game to add more steel than powder-puff to see the game out. But that’s how Cook sees it - he’d prefer to get one more goal than sit on a narrow lead.

I think if we miss out, it will be because of our slow start with a new squad over the first 10-12 games rather than an individual game. Too early to worry about that. Let’s get in the top six first and then see if we make ground on the top two. Still plenty of points there and I think we’re going to see some cracking football.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Pitch-side views of all the goals. Nice view of Edwards wing wizardry for the second. Rossi being a touch harsh on Edwards. And how hard did Burns hit the third.

https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status ... goals%2F1

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:05 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:10 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:30 am
Charnwood wrote:

Not sure how many bad decisions Cook has made that have cost us points. We’ve absolutely thrown away so many points due to being too weak-minded and poor defensively whilst the squad has been getting to know each other. With the Plymouth game we could have easily gone in 1-0 up at HT before Penney messed up. And even with those selections we created even more clear-cut chances at Plymouth than probably at Wycombe. We should have drawn that one, and could have won it.
The substitutions against Cambridge pissed me of more as it was simply a kind of game to add more steel than powder-puff to see the game out. But that’s how Cook sees it - he’d prefer to get one more goal than sit on a narrow lead.

I think if we miss out, it will be because of our slow start with a new squad over the first 10-12 games rather than an individual game. Too early to worry about that. Let’s get in the top six first and then see if we make ground on the top two. Still plenty of points there and I think we’re going to see some cracking football.
I'll argue all day long with the Coulsen thing at Plymouth, he's recognised as our first choice LB so if he's played in his natural position Penney doesn't even get the chance to make the error, Celina after last night had to play Left Midfield, not Coulsen. Still it's all done and we move on, last night was superb and you're only as good as your last result so we're gonna be champions lol.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 03, 2021 1:08 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Pitch-side views of all the goals. Nice view of Edwards wing wizardry for the second. Rossi being a touch harsh on Edwards. And how hard did Burns hit the third.

https://twitter.com/IpswichTown/status ... goals%2F1
Crikey, Burns is the new Lorimer

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:03 pm

just viewed game highlights, wish could have been there to witness the action, traveling fans must have been thrilled.

Did in grand manner also coming from a goal behind to win it in some style. It's a very good resut, most likely a full-on effort from the players but only taking one game at a time. You begin thinking of promotion in October or even League Champions, it's too premature to get ahead of oneself.

Following game action without visual or audio is f**king futile. I try to keep up with what's going on during game times but without the necessary tools to make it work it's just little more than fumbling around in the dark. Point being no longer feel the need to be involved around play underway / match events regards here or fan forums as feel just isolated and devoid of proper sensation. Unable to put the right words to it but that's the way of it.

try not to view League tables after victories as you only get a sense of expecting things that may not occur or getting ahead of the situation but it does make encouraging reading when you see the goals scored for us in relation to all other teams in the division. Not always so easy to keep them out other end but the bottom line being the team has now a great depth of attacking potential and new players that have come in are now starting to work cohesively and for each other. Team spirit gets you rewards and if we can add that to other already standing attributes then we got a great chance of promotion although most likely through the play-off opportunities.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:21 pm

rossi wrote:

Funny old game. The goal he scored last night and the one he got at Portsmouth were far more difficult to convert than the chances he missed at Cheltenham and Plymouth. Hopefully he doesn’t get recalled by QPR in January.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:55 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:21 pm
rossi wrote:

Funny old game. The goal he scored last night and the one he got at Portsmouth were far more difficult to convert than the chances he missed at Cheltenham and Plymouth. Hopefully he doesn’t get recalled by QPR in January.
I hope he stays too Shed, most definitely the most clinical striker we’ve had at ITFC for a long time. Clearly he’s enjoying playing for the club and would surely jump at the opportunity to make a permanent move.

Magicmark

Post by Magicmark » Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:11 pm

Fantastic goals & away win,the Wycombe manager said Ipswich are going to be in the mix for promotion & rightly so just hope we don't fall apart for the next game& keep the momentum going,