League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Tough one to call?

Ipswich Win
47%
Oxford Win
16%
Draw
37%

Total votes: 19

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Oxford United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:08 pm

Chaplin needs to come on I think ….

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 pm

Would anyone bring Pigott for Bonne ?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:28 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:10 pm
Would anyone bring Pigott for Bonne ?
Not after what I watched on Tuesday.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:29 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:08 pm
Chaplin needs to come on I think ….
Maybe for Edward’s but not whilst we’re on top.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:32 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:02 pm
Good game of football. Just not sure about both Celina and Edwards on the pitch at the same time. Celina’s been wasteful going for the Hollywood ball, but he hit the post. That’s how he is. Edwards looks good but not enough end product. I’d put Chaplin on at number 10 or wide left for Edwards.
Clements looks pretty solid and happy to join in the attack. Good debut .. so far.
Walton MOTM for me at HT. Anyone’s game, but need to get Burns on the ball more and I think Chaplin is better at linking play than Celina.
I like Waltons positioning and it’s great having a keeper who starts attacking moves. Definitely our best keeper for a while.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:33 pm

Chaplin on for Edwards ….. hopefully

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:33 pm
Chaplin on for Edwards ….. hopefully
I hope so too, he’s been far more wasteful than Celina.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Good changes by Paul Cook.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:36 pm

Agree with those changes now let's go and win it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:41 pm

We’ve stopped looking for forward balls for some reason and becoming hesitant….

We are going to get caught out with these square passes across back line !!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:45 pm

Both sides making mistakes as the fear of losing creeps into the game. To be fair neither side deserves to lose.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 5:46 pm

Silly fouls creeping in now ….

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:00 pm

Sounds like a lot of poor gamesmanship from Oxford! :twisted:

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:05 pm

Good debut by Bailey Clements.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:06 pm

I wish Sam Morsy wouldn’t pick up yellow cards like I used to pick up speeding tickets.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:07 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:05 pm
A clean sheet against a more than capable Oxford side. Nice to see those mistakes gradually being ironed out hey! :wink:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm

If he feels he or the team are losing possession he just takes the player out . We’ll end up losing him for sure to a ban .

Clements looks like a stalwart in there at left back . I’d send Coulson back and free up some wages / space in squad ….

Think I’d be thinking of giving Pigott a run in the side now , Bonne looks to have gone off the boil and certainly looked heavy legged at times today I thought.

Overall I’d take this point against Oxford ….
Move on to next league game .

Edit , I’d also add that be dropping Edwards for a while . His game has been sussed and he’s not taking players on or creating anything . Much rather have Fraser in the side ….
Last edited by hallamblue on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:07 pm
Charnwood wrote:
A clean sheet against a more than capable Oxford side. Nice to see those mistakes gradually being ironed out hey! :wink:
Walton didn’t have a save to make did he !

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:12 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
We’re you late taking your seat Liz, he made a brilliant save on 6 mins that would otherwise have certainly put Oxford 0-1 ahead.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:22 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:12 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:10 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:

We’re you late taking your seat Liz, he made a brilliant save on 6 mins that would otherwise have certainly put Oxford 0-1 ahead.
Must have been his only save then lol…. And happened when my computer was buffering!!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:28 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Charnwood wrote:
But this is great for the MCCarthy fans. A nil-nil. nil. But this one an entertaining one. Perfect.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:57 pm

You’re not wrong there Tang, that was as good a 0-0 draw as you will ever see especially in this league. Very entertaining and enjoyable to watch.

As for Paul Cook, I think he got his team selection right, his tactics were good and his substitutions spot on both timing and personnel.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:07 pm

As goaless draws go it wasn't bad, wasn't a classic either by any means. For me Oxford played the better football first half while we had the better chances and were denied by the woodwork, Walton made a vital save early doors too which kept it level.

I felt in that first half they moved the ball round better than us, won far more second ball and generally looked slightly better without creating anything clear cut.

The second half was definitely better by Town and we controlled much of it, openings were coming and going and way too many final balls and crosses were wasted, we just didn't overly work the keeper, Bonne had the best chance but underhit it badly.

In the end I felt a draw wasn't far off being correct but Town probably just edged the 90 minutes. Centre midfield was once again a concern and we lost that battle for me, Evans flatters to deceive and all too often is slow to react or out of position, Morsy had one of his least effective games. Burns just didn't get into the game and Bonne was mostly poor. Celina was a mix of good and lazy while I'm sorry to say it but Kyle Edwards is pish, every single time he fails to deliver, his crosses are woeful and all too often he runs up blind alleys, not impressed with him at all, not just today either.

I felt Edmundson was very good, Nsiala for the most part solid, one last ditch tackle in the first half in particular was superb and denied them an almost certain goal. Donacien was dependable as ever and Walton was solid in goal, he looks to be improving game on game.

For me Bailey Clements was excellent on his debut, clearly he was being targeted throughout but he stood firm and defended excellently, some of his forward runs were also impressive, definitely staked a claim today, for me better than Matt Penney.

I felt Sone Aluko was a different level to Kyle Edwards when he came on and has an end product, conor Chaplin too makes a big difference, for me he is the most naturally gifted player at the club.

All in all an OK point but it probably suits Oxford more, it keeps us in touch but still a big gap to the top Two, can't help but think how ridiculous it was to give Pigott 3 minutes, the lad isn't getting a chance to play himself into form.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 9:44 pm

Thanks for that Mike.

I think Oxford can count themselves lucky to have got a point today. From what I saw they had the upper hand for the first 20mins, thereafter they did very little to bother us.

From Towns perspective, we have found a new left back in young Clements. What an accomplished performance by him today!

Our defence by and large, was in control and handled the inform opponents very well. No silly errors!

In attack, Bonne was less effective, but that was perhaps more to do with a poor collective performance from our creative midfielders , Burns was not “at it “ today at all. Celina made some really good telling passes at times but all too often gave the ball away. Edwards has basically been “sussed” by the opposition and he often finds himself marked out of games. As Mike states, there is no end product.

Going forward this season and for tug next two league games I’d be inclined to keep the defence as it was today. Defensive midfield is also keep the same , but creative midfielders I’d jiggle it about a bit now. I’d go with Chaplin as number 10, Burns on the right still but either put Celina out wide left or bring in Fraser . Of that last comment I’d probably go with Fraser wide left and Celina from the bench . Edwards needs to be dropped. I’m also thinking we should be looking to bring Pigott off the bench for Bonne, sooner in games. We need to start getting him more game time…, or even for a different formation if Cook ever would consider it, Bonne / Pigott up front together.

Sometimes there’s a need to freshen up the player combinations . It keeps them on their toes as well as give some players a rest and others some match time.

I think we will win at Sunderland.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 10:11 pm

I can only assume Pigott gets appearance money for his 3 min sub appearance unless his coming on was just to interrupt play, it has to be one of those two reasons.

With Bonne looking a little jaded I’d definitely give Joe a game at Oldham and starts for Aluko and Chaplin too. I think I’d keep Walton in goal as the defence look so much more confident knowing he’s behind them. I’d also give Morsy a rest as we don’t want him picking up a disciplinary card in a cup game. However with a relatively easy tie in the next round I’d go strong at Oldham and try to put the game to bed in the first half just like the other team in blue did at Wembley last night.

Although it’s an interesting prospect I think Bonne and Pigott up front together would just see them get in one another’s way.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 pm

i don't think a yellow card in the cup game would see Morsy banned Andy. i think it has to be a league game.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 pm
i don't think a yellow card in the cup game would see Morsy banned Andy. i think it has to be a league game.
Thanks Liz. I do love his passion but he definitely needs to curb the unnecessary petty aggression in his play which refs enjoy penalising. I think he’s got 4 yellows so far but I’m not sure how many he’s allowed before getting a ban ?

shabba

Post by shabba » Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:55 pm

Brilliant write ups, thanks for those who have done those as it paints a clearer picture for those who couldn’t see the game.

It’s such a good thing that we have such depth now and we can debate who should start and switching players in and out if form drops.

I hope we rest a lot for Oldham as I personally feel we need to get some players minutes to sharpen them up (Piggot is the priority) and rest some like Burns, Morsey and Edmundson.

I think the club just want a big third round away game to boost the coffers for January.

Agree Edwards needs dropping now, such early promise but hasn’t had enough of an impact of late and we have many options now on the left, Celina is the se sinks swap but Fraser is someone who brings something different and would work well as a player who can play that killer pass others don’t see.

Also agree Champlin is absolute quality.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:01 am

With Chaplin, Aluko and Fraser on the bench it’s about time Edwards is given a rest. We need end product.

And Chaplin was playing brilliant at 10, before his injury. Stick him back there and let Celina earn his place on the wing.

Really good debut from Clements. Defended better than Penney and just needs a bit more confidence in the final third..

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:05 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:19 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Sat Nov 13, 2021 11:14 pm
Thanks Liz. I do love his passion but he definitely needs to curb the unnecessary petty aggression in his play which refs enjoy penalising. I think he’s got 4 yellows so far but I’m not sure how many he’s allowed before getting a ban ?
You need 5 for a one match ban, but the slate is wiped clean after 18 games. Nearly there. If you get 10 yellows after 32 games it’s a 2 game ban.