Chaplin not overly impressed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Chaplin not overly impressed

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Conor Chaplin admits he was shocked to be axed from Town’s starting line-up following the narrow 2-1 defeat to league leaders Plymouth at the end of last month.

It meant he was on the bench for the next game, the 4-1 win at Wycombe Wanderers, and again on Saturday when the Blues were held to a goalless draw at home by sixth-placed Oxford.

Chaplin, 24, did start the FA Cup and Papa John’s Trophy home clashes with Oldham and Colchester respectively and is likely to feature in tomorrow night’s replay against the Latics at Boundary Park, where the prize for victory is a home tie against another League Two club, Barrow, in the second round.

The summer recruit from Barnsley seemed to have made the number 10 role his own when manager Paul Cook decided to make changes. “I felt I was doing really well,” he said.

“I had contributed goals and assists as well so I’ll be honest and say it came as a bit of a surprise when I dropped out.

“But that’s not to say I won’t be back in it soon because I’m sure I will be. The game at Oldham is another chance to show what I’m capable of and go again from there.”

Town were well below their best in the first game against Keith Curle’s side, who are struggling just above the bottom of League Two, and without the heroics of on-loan Brighton goalkeeper Christian Walton, who superbly saved a penalty from Dylan Bahamboula, they would have progressed on the day.

Chaplin agreed: “I think it’s true that we weren’t at our best that day. We are definitely going into the replay looking to win and get through to the next round.

The fact that we already know we will be at home if we get through is an added incentive, so fingers crossed we can put in a good performance and, more importantly, win the game.

“Every time you play it is an opportunity to impress and remind people what you can do, what you’re good at and what you can bring to the team.

“That will apply to every single one of the players, not just me. I think we all know that we have to play well to stay in the team because it’s such a good squad.

“Attitude is a big part of it. We’re a team, we’re a close group of players and that’s going to take us places this season, fingers crossed. It needs to come from the culture of the club – everyone pulling in the right direction – and that’s something we are trying to create as well.”

Asked if manager Cook had taken him aside to explain the decision to leave him out at Wycombe, he replied: “No, not particularly. Like I’ve said before, we have a strong squad of players and no one can rest on his laurels – you’re either playing well or you’re not.

“I expect to play because I’ve been in good form, doing well and contributing to the team so that’s no different.”

With so much quality available to the manager do players simply need to accept there will be times when they have to be excluded? Chaplin added: “Yes, I think so, but that’s the manager’s job and it isn’t for the players to discuss.

“Every player has come to the club to play games but if you’re not in the side you are wishing the lads well, you fully support them and you’re hoping they do well.

“If you’re in the side you are looking for the same from the lads who are not in it. It’s all about everyone pulling in the same direction.”

Chaplin, who started his career in the academy at Portsmouth and found his way to Ipswich via spells at Coventry and Barnsley, made it clear his preferred position role in the side is behind the main striker, in what has come to be known as the number 10 role.

He added: “I would say that is my best position, definitely. I came to this football club to make a difference and be a leader, which is something I see myself as within the group.

“Responsibility and pressure comes with that but if you’re at a club like this I believe pressure is a good thing. In my view, if you don’t have pressure then you’re not at a big enough football club and you need to run towards it, not shy away from it.”
My thoughts exactly, he'd been on fire with goals, assists and generally good form, for me he's our most naturally gifted player. In fairness we thrashed Wycombe so can't argue with that but do we have a player who beneath the surface is a bit miffed ?

The thing that really surprised me was Cook not taking him aside and explaining the decision, common practice surely, fab management.

Tangfastic

Re: Chaplin not overly impressed

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:06 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:36 pm

Conor Chaplin admits he was shocked to be axed from Town’s starting line-up following the narrow 2-1 defeat to league leaders Plymouth at the end of last month.

It meant he was on the bench for the next game, the 4-1 win at Wycombe Wanderers, and again on Saturday when the Blues were held to a goalless draw at home by sixth-placed Oxford.

Chaplin, 24, did start the FA Cup and Papa John’s Trophy home clashes with Oldham and Colchester respectively and is likely to feature in tomorrow night’s replay against the Latics at Boundary Park, where the prize for victory is a home tie against another League Two club, Barrow, in the second round.

The summer recruit from Barnsley seemed to have made the number 10 role his own when manager Paul Cook decided to make changes. “I felt I was doing really well,” he said.

“I had contributed goals and assists as well so I’ll be honest and say it came as a bit of a surprise when I dropped out.

“But that’s not to say I won’t be back in it soon because I’m sure I will be. The game at Oldham is another chance to show what I’m capable of and go again from there.”

Town were well below their best in the first game against Keith Curle’s side, who are struggling just above the bottom of League Two, and without the heroics of on-loan Brighton goalkeeper Christian Walton, who superbly saved a penalty from Dylan Bahamboula, they would have progressed on the day.

Chaplin agreed: “I think it’s true that we weren’t at our best that day. We are definitely going into the replay looking to win and get through to the next round.

The fact that we already know we will be at home if we get through is an added incentive, so fingers crossed we can put in a good performance and, more importantly, win the game.

“Every time you play it is an opportunity to impress and remind people what you can do, what you’re good at and what you can bring to the team.

“That will apply to every single one of the players, not just me. I think we all know that we have to play well to stay in the team because it’s such a good squad.

“Attitude is a big part of it. We’re a team, we’re a close group of players and that’s going to take us places this season, fingers crossed. It needs to come from the culture of the club – everyone pulling in the right direction – and that’s something we are trying to create as well.”

Asked if manager Cook had taken him aside to explain the decision to leave him out at Wycombe, he replied: “No, not particularly. Like I’ve said before, we have a strong squad of players and no one can rest on his laurels – you’re either playing well or you’re not.

“I expect to play because I’ve been in good form, doing well and contributing to the team so that’s no different.”

With so much quality available to the manager do players simply need to accept there will be times when they have to be excluded? Chaplin added: “Yes, I think so, but that’s the manager’s job and it isn’t for the players to discuss.

“Every player has come to the club to play games but if you’re not in the side you are wishing the lads well, you fully support them and you’re hoping they do well.

“If you’re in the side you are looking for the same from the lads who are not in it. It’s all about everyone pulling in the same direction.”

Chaplin, who started his career in the academy at Portsmouth and found his way to Ipswich via spells at Coventry and Barnsley, made it clear his preferred position role in the side is behind the main striker, in what has come to be known as the number 10 role.

He added: “I would say that is my best position, definitely. I came to this football club to make a difference and be a leader, which is something I see myself as within the group.

“Responsibility and pressure comes with that but if you’re at a club like this I believe pressure is a good thing. In my view, if you don’t have pressure then you’re not at a big enough football club and you need to run towards it, not shy away from it.”
My thoughts exactly, he'd been on fire with goals, assists and generally good form, for me he's our most naturally gifted player. In fairness we thrashed Wycombe so can't argue with that but do we have a player who beneath the surface is a bit miffed ?

The thing that really surprised me was Cook not taking him aside and explaining the decision, common practice surely, fab management.
I’m sure Leam Richardson would have done that :D :D

Look that’s a decision I don’t agree with. I’d want Chaplin in the team. Didn’t he have back spasms and lost his place for that reason? But Celina came in at Wycombe so I guess that’s why he got the nod. And I’d play Chaplin at 10 with Celina going to the wing or bench.

But, why, why, why, the constant nit-picking and beating Cook with every stick possible at the moment. It’s hardly panic stations - there’s 29 games to go. And who knows what’s said between player and manager? Chaplin and Cook have good history and that’s a major reason he came here.
Don’t get a lot of the assumptions and dot-joining at the moment.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:07 pm

Must admit I was surprised when he was dropped. Cook does seem to make some strange decisions at times. Another one I couldn't understand was bringing Pigott on as a sub just for a couple of minutes against Oxford. He stated he needs to give him minutes then why not give him a chance to try and make an impact in the game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:16 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:06 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 5:36 pm

I’m sure Leam Richardson would have done that :D :D

Look that’s a decision I don’t agree with. I’d want Chaplin in the team. Didn’t he have back spasms and lost his place for that reason? But Celina came in at Wycombe so I guess that’s why he got the nod. And I’d play Chaplin at 10 with Celina going to the wing or bench.

But, why, why, why, the constant nit-picking and beating Cook with every stick possible at the moment. It’s hardly panic stations - there’s 29 games to go. And who knows what’s said between player and manager? Chaplin and Cook have good history and that’s a major reason he came here.
Don’t get a lot of the assumptions and dot-joining at the moment.
It's not nit picking, it's stating facts, a player has come out and clearly aired his views on something that in his own words "shocked him", it's poor management not to tell the player or is Cook exempt from everything ? And yes I am sure Leam Richardson would have done it, that's the difference,
Asked if manager Cook had taken him aside to explain the decision to leave him out at Wycombe, he replied: “No, not particularly.
That doesnt read great does it.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:46 pm

Sorry, didn’t see his last comment about him not taking him aside.

But whatever, can’t see any bad feeling if he’s open to talk about it. There’s a hell of a lot of competition in those front four positions. But What do you want…. Players who are happy to take a rest. They want to be on the field. Competition and not necessarily a bad thing. I remember Jim Magilton talking about the 2000 squad and there was a lot of moaning and hard talk going around.

For the moment, I’d take Chaplin any day at 10 over Celina. And I’d maybe even have Fraser over Edwards/Celina on the left. And I agree with Shed over Pigott only getting a couple of minutes. Quite a lot of decisions I don’t agree with but there’s too many options up top and I guess Bonne’s earned the credit points, ,but I’d like to see Pigott get more time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:48 pm

Maybe it was purely tactical 🤷‍♀️

Mind you for Sunderland and Rotherham games I’d be playing the attacking midfield 3 with
Fraser
Chaplin
Burns

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:06 pm

How well did Chaplin play in the Oldham and Colchester matches?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:16 pm

I don't think anyone played particularly well in those games No9.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:19 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:46 pm
Sorry, didn’t see his last comment about him not taking him aside.

But whatever, can’t see any bad feeling if he’s open to talk about it. There’s a hell of a lot of competition in those front four positions. But What do you want…. Players who are happy to take a rest. They want to be on the field. Competition and not necessarily a bad thing. I remember Jim Magilton talking about the 2000 squad and there was a lot of moaning and hard talk going around.

For the moment, I’d take Chaplin any day at 10 over Celina. And I’d maybe even have Fraser over Edwards/Celina on the left. And I agree with Shed over Pigott only getting a couple of minutes. Quite a lot of decisions I don’t agree with but there’s too many options up top and I guess Bonne’s earned the credit points, ,but I’d like to see Pigott get more time.
No issue with resting players, just think it would be good to talk to the player, not just Cook, any manager.

Like you I'd take Chaplin over celina every time and Fraser looked decent last week in the more central role though. The Pigott situation is a complete mystery to me and there was a lot of people around me Saturday far from impressed with him getting Three minutes. These are the odd things that have me asking questions.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 am

I wonder if it’s more do with Celina than Chaplin? I wonder if there’s something written into his loan contract that means Cook has to play him….or he’s trying to play Celina more to get him to agree to stay next season? I don’t know , just a thought that’s all. I’d definitely rather have Chaplin in at. #10, he’s better at it than Celina.

The thing is with ALL the players in the squad, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Pigott has had a tough t8me since joining us, family wise. Maybe he’s not in a good place personally, and is being cared for by the Club.

FWIW, I’d like to see us try a 442 in one of t(e so called lesser games to give Bonne and Pigott a chance as a strike partnership. One ( primarily), to hopefully get Pigott firing up again, and Two, to mix it up a bit .

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:07 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 am
I wonder if it’s more do with Celina than Chaplin? I wonder if there’s something written into his loan contract that means Cook has to play him….or he’s trying to play Celina more to get him to agree to stay next season? I don’t know , just a thought that’s all. I’d definitely rather have Chaplin in at. #10, he’s better at it than Celina.

The thing is with ALL the players in the squad, we don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes. Pigott has had a tough t8me since joining us, family wise. Maybe he’s not in a good place personally, and is being cared for by the Club.

FWIW, I’d like to see us try a 442 in one of t(e so called lesser games to give Bonne and Pigott a chance as a strike partnership. One ( primarily), to hopefully get Pigott firing up again, and Two, to mix it up a bit .
I wonder that as well regarding Celina. Maybe not having anything written down in his contract, but just been given extra credit points at this stage as he might be deemed the potential match-winner or star performer . And he can be, but I prefer Chaplins all-round game and workrate to Celina’s. For me, play Chaplin at 10 with Celina on the left. The big drawback is Celina not doing the defensive side of that and that could be Cook’s thinking, too. Next game, I’d like to see Edwards drop out and Chaplin come in.
This isn’t the worst problem in the world……. we’re talking about 2 decent players competing for one position.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 17, 2021 11:14 am

At the end of the day we've signed Chaplin, Edwards and Pigott, they are our players so I sincerely hope we aren't trying to appease Celina or have some agreement in place, if we p*ss anyone off I hope its him.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm

There are a lot of games left to play this season, the winter didn't really start. I'm sure by the end of the season they will both have had plenty of games.

Not newsworthy for me, the headline: "Player not happy to be out of the starting XI, vows to work harder" is exactly what I would hope to read about our squad.

rossi

Post by rossi » Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:54 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 10:28 am

There's 2 reasons why that will not happen Liz.............

1) Cook is afraid if he plays a system other than his beloved 4-2-3-1, it just might work better with the players we have at our disposal
2) Cook might be mathematically challenged - by that I mean he might be able to add 4-2-3-1 and make 10, but has trouble with other combinations adding up to 10 (4-3-3, 4-4-2, 3-5-2, 3-4-3 etc)

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 2:15 pm

I think Cook is an honest individual tbh and if he truly felt his current system wasn’t working, that he’d change it. Thing is, over his managerial career the results suggest his preferred system works, when he has the players that can operate it. Sometimes managers get players in that (based on stats), indicate they would be worth a punt. Sometimes that player then doesn’t produce what was expected or hoped for, and that can be for a multitude of reasons. I’d suggest Hldaky being one example in the squad at present, and maybe Burgess too.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm
There are a lot of games left to play this season, the winter didn't really start. I'm sure by the end of the season they will both have had plenty of games.

Not newsworthy for me, the headline: "Player not happy to be out of the starting XI, vows to work harder" is exactly what I would hope to read about our squad.
How about a headline saying......
Cook couldn't be arsed to tell a key player he's dropped
?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:23 pm

Lol you really don’t like Cook now do you Mike..

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Nov 17, 2021 4:29 pm

Who would ever believe we’d only lost one of our last 11 games played, some comments are simply unbelievable.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 17, 2021 5:41 pm

I'm only on a wind up sometimes regarding cook although my original comments stand.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:25 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:10 pm
Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Nov 17, 2021 1:46 pm

How about a headline saying......
Cook couldn't be arsed to tell a key player he's dropped
?
Guess as usual it all depends which newspaper we choose to read Mike :D

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:37 am

Well it was from Chaplin himself lol, although not exactly those words.