League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Can we bounce back from the trip to Sunderland?

Town Win
31%
Millers Win
44%
Draw
25%

Total votes: 16

BLUEBLOOD

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Rotherham United Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm

61% Possession 0 shots on target .
Says it all reminds me of the days we had MM as manager...
I bet a big ironic cheer if we have a shot on target .

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:32 pm

BLUEBLOOD wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:24 pm
61% Possession 0 shots on target .
Says it all reminds me of the days we had MM as manager...
I bet a big ironic cheer if we have a shot on target .
In fairness, we wouldn't be as easy carved open though, be drawing

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:38 pm

We huff and puff but honestly when is this "jelling" going to happen?

BLUEBLOOD

Post by BLUEBLOOD » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:43 pm

Morsy out of Sundays game now another booking.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:44 pm

As Mick Mills pointed out stop Morsy and you stop Ipswich. Too easy

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:47 pm

Could argue that there were flickering embers of 2 up front looking as though it could improve things, but in truth Rotherham were exceptionally well drilled. They kept the perfect shape, attacked at pace and were very economical with the ball. Think even with 2 up front for 90 minutes tonight we still wouldn't have scored! Rotherham were miles better than us right across the park and that is the simple truth in my eyes.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:50 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:47 pm
Could argue that there were flickering embers of 2 up front looking as though it could improve things, but in truth Rotherham were exceptionally well drilled. They kept the perfect shape, attacked at pace and were very economical with the ball. Think even with 2 up front for 90 minutes tonight we still wouldn't have scored! Rotherham were miles better than us right across the park and that is the simple truth in my eyes.
Spot on, up until a week ago I still though we had a good chance of top 6 but not any more.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:51 pm

couldn't get no goddamn commentrary, perhaps it's just as well. Time seems just about up there and we're two goals behind with seconds remaining, needless to say we're going to get nothing from this one.

I try to be patient in a number of things including this club and relevant personnel involved within it but something strongly suggests action needs to be taken if this club name is to achieve anything by come May. Did Cook change his thinking at half-time, guess it's kind of irrelevant now as the team has taken another hit and now a getting confirmation it's a 0 - 2 loss to these today.

We're sometimes or even often ineffective or p*ss results away and while relegation won't or can't occur, got to accept promotion is going to be somewhat unrealistic. All and any Cook outers, while perhaps overdramatic, can't quite fault them for it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:58 pm

The usual outcome

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:00 pm

:x I think it's about time Paul Cook left Ipswich as he hasn't got a F*****G clue about formation setup changes and keeps the same F*****g line up for every game he's been sussed out and Rotherham come here and have an easy win, so I'm sorry Cookie like Olie of Man U you can F*****g pack your bags and p*ss off back to Liverpool, you are so predictable your beginning to be like all the other Pauls we've had as managers F*****G useless. Let's be honest 1 up top ain't working, Bonne is getting starved of service your setups are a complete embarrassment, you cant bring in any consistency with results, your all gob and no do.

Let's bring in Neil Warnock who has a proven track record of getting his teams promoted rather than this embarrassing scouse tw*t who hasn't got a plan B and leaves substitutions far too late, If I was Joe Piggott I would say FFS Cookie loan me out for game time.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:13 pm

I miss Marko’s comic relief! Let’s face it, the situation is dire. The Americans need to dig deeper in their pockets and and get a squad of players who can get Ipswich out of this fuckin division. I’d take Olie right now, but does it really matter?

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 pm

Looks like we have some new members joining the PC is not the man to take us up group.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:28 pm

So who is gonna defend that f**king tripe, get this prat out of club now cus we are going nowhere under him. Same bloody formation until Two down, we were second best throughout. COOK OUT!!!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:42 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:28 pm
So who is gonna defend that f**king tripe, get this prat out of club now cus we are going nowhere under him. Same bloody formation until Two down, we were second best throughout. COOK OUT!!!!
Mike I really have been holding on and holding on. I really do not sacking managers because they need time. However with Cook he has no plan B, its like no matter what, he changes team as in personal, but never formation.

how long to we give him now, is there any sign of consistency here? We were out played, out fought, out muscled and out thought

We are too light weight, really starting to lean to your way of thought now

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:43 pm

I said after Sunderland we hadn’t been out-played, out-thought or out-fought yet. But we were there - big time! Rotherham are going up, probably as champions. Promotion is not out of the question for Town but there needs to be some serious thought and yeah changes in personnel, tactics and formation because that won’t do.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 pm

That was awful. All that creativity and we cannot even muster a decent cross. We were second best in every area of the pitch. Cook has no idea and sits on the bench when the going gets tough. Nsiala is simply not good enough at this level. He is an accident waiting to happen every game. There is no cohesion, no urgency and the constant passing around on the half way line does my f*cking head in!!' Automatic has long gone. Play offs are a distant hope. BTW - I said a while ago that Celina is not wanted nor worth the wages in this league and tonight proved it het again. He is soft and so easily dispossessed every game. He had a couple of OK games but is now back to being easy to tackle. Their first goal was well taken but to be fair, I could have walked past the 5 defenders that just looked at him and scored. Their second was just poor defending and slick passing followed by an easy finish. We looked like the away team and had no answer to them. Its Cools squad and Cools tactics - he carries the can for this as they look like they have never met each other. I was at Portsmouth and Wycombe and have to assume that what felt like great wins were actually flukes as we look a different team now. So annoyed....🤬

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 pm

Can't even spell that tw@t Cook's name now!!

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:48 pm

Just read this from Paul Cook

"The crowd were very disappointed and I get that. The players don't need me jumping on them for everything that went wrong, though.

"The reality is we were way off it."

Reality is we shouldn't of been way off it, Your job to motivate

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:59 pm

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 pm
Looks like we have some new members joining the PC is not the man to take us up group.
To be honest, you & Bluemike may be right. But we need better players still!

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:04 am

IMO he has basically failed with two different squads now.

I stated last season that he lost me as a man manager after his 'demolition man' comments that curtailed any move towards the playoffs.

The one thing that I still can't reconcile in my head however, is the impression given that some players joined because of Cook, or did they actually join because of Ashton's vision for the future?

Regardless, I don't see how the current set up will achieve our goals.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:15 am

The one thing that I still can't reconcile in my head however, is the impression given that some players joined because of Cook, or did they actually join because of Ashton's vision for the future?

You my be right on the Ashton thing. But Morsy and Chaplin had both played under Cook before and were prepared to drop a division to come and play for him again, so he must have been at least a factor in their decision, no?

Steve and Jo

Post by Steve and Jo » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:26 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:15 am

You my be right on the Ashton thing. But Morsy and Chaplin had both played under Cook before and were prepared to drop a division to come and play for him again, so he must have been at least a factor in their decision, no?
Have to say i thought both were below par today with Chaplin having a mare

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:50 am

Other than Morsy and perhaps Bonne when he was scoring goals, I’m not really that impressed with the players Cook has brought in.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 am

I didn’t watch the second half but anyone who did - when Pigott came on, did he play as a second striker with Bonne?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:16 am

8pts from relegation, 8pts from playoffs.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:40 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:19 pm
Count me in. Cook has had enough time to produce better, but has come up short.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Nov 24, 2021 3:20 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 am
I didn’t watch the second half but anyone who did - when Pigott came on, did he play as a second striker with Bonne?
Believe not, changed places with Chaplin in midfield. By then the team were two goals in reverse and by the time and any all substitutes came on i.e. Penney and Edwards, the damage had been done. Cook knows little other way than to go with one in attack, (and) if that's his prevailing attitude - which seems clear and present - then he's going to lose (further) support as each game / unsatisfactory performance passes.

Guess argument or defense can point to Rotherham being in top position and they're a good team etc etc, but that doesn't excuse today's setback. Seems we didn't even have a real attempt on goal, not one that really tested their keeper anyhow, and for all the possession we get, once again can't seem to do damn sh*t with it.

Cook reminds one of McCarthy too often, sets out not to lose and plays banal defensive formations with often no real intent on scoring. Sure the team every now and again picks out a standout result or five-star performance but these seem too infrequent for proper consideration.

Lo and behold (and you can see it now) if Town were to win against bottom team Crewe Alexandra in our next game a great many will change opinion and hold Cook in favorable light once more and from somewhere procure plaudits and words of adulation. Bizarre, but in no way surprising.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 24, 2021 6:10 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:56 am
I think it was just like for like as usual.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:27 am

The story of modern day Ipswich Town FC. Firstly, i will state that i still want PC to be our manager to the end of this season (well someone has too :wink: :roll: ). I watched on i-follow last night and as i said in an earlier post, Rotherham were better than us all across the pitch. We were playing the League 1 Champions for 2021/22 IMO and (not that i have seen many games) were possibly the first team which has totally outplayed us. Look i am not denying or glossing over the fact that there are obviously things wrong, consistency being non existent is one of them! While talk of the play-offs is looking laughable in some people's eyes, i want to believe in a "never say never" attitude and until it is mathematically impossible i will continue to believe.

Call me what you want for my views, but I don't think a change of manager is worth the gamble right now. I would like to see how the owners back PC in the January transfer window, to see what players come in, which ones depart. I would still give PC until early next season, though it seems there are many fans who have turned and i predict things, very sadly, turning toxic again fairly soon, possibly making PC's tenure impossible to continue.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Nov 24, 2021 8:53 am

Hopefully that last sentence is correct