Our next manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Our next manager

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:15 pm

Hey all,

Shall we start a new thread to discuss who might be next and share out thoughts?

2 pathways I guess, either a 'solid' manager at this level from the Merry-go-round or we go a bit more high risk/high reward with say a young manager like Lampard, Terry or such.

I'd like nothing more than to have someone come here for the next 3+ years and bring stability, but its less and less like the way the football world works now.

Farke - even though his ex-Norwich he seems the most qualified of the options, more than proven at this level and you could easily argue he wasn't backed in when in the Prem.

Lampard - Risky, we don't really know how good/bad he is, seemed to do OK at Derby? Tuchel has made his Chelsea spell look a little poor now though.

Houghton/Appleton/Harris/Coleman/Boothroyd/Lowe/ etc etc etc, all sensible ish choices but might not set the world on fire, and if they don't work out will likely be shuffled out for another off the merry-go-round.

I really hope we don't go with someone the owners are mates with, it would be massively underwhelming and not in the clubs best interest, I really feel we need a 'management team' i.e a solid manager plus some good coaches. IMO the coaching side was what led to Cooks downfall.

Are there any 'up and coming' managers out there doing well at smaller clubs? Although that might go like Paul Hurst's reign. Its very hard as you want a name/former player the current players will respect, but with coaching qualities and a team they can bring with them. I'd actually quite like Rooney, its a risk but he seems to have done well so far. Terry is a total unknown so a massive risk, but just look how well Gerrard has done.

I'm not a huge fan of the 'ex player' thing either, it adds something but yes - but they still need the rest of the package.

shabba

Re: Our next manager

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:39 pm

Would love Bruce but can’t see him moving all the way down here and to be part of this project etc.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:56 pm

Farke
In

‘Ell

No one else currently mentioned in the media enthrals me tbh …,

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:12 pm

I'd welcome Farke, been there and done it and plays exciting attacking football.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:21 pm

I’d be more than happy with Daniel Farke even if he is a Norwich cast off, however I’d be disappointed if he hasn’t set his sights higher than League One and if he has I suspect he’d prefer to return to his homeland Germany.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:42 am

Seems Ipswich Town FC is pulling in applications for managers & coaches both in and out of post and from higher up the footballing pyramid that as n league one, such is the perceived stature of this Club within the game, guys!

Ashtons words , not mine.

We have sold over 70,000 tickets for the next three home games : I’d say that speaks volumes for what ITFC and it’s fan base is all about.

Give us real hope , real backing and watch this Club fly …. But it’ll take a bit of time to turn this tanker ….

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 6:47 am

And that is why they had to act before you lose the fan momentum again, 100% correct decision and excellent business sense

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:34 pm

Looks like it might be Ryan Lowe who has resigned as Plymouth manager? 🤔

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:40 pm

Seriously? Happy with that if true !!!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Off to Preston apparently

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:12 pm

Yes confirmed Preston. 👏

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:53 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:12 pm
Yes confirmed Preston. 👏
Next candidate please 😀

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am

Neil Harris new favourite with the Bookies ?
How bizarre.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 am

Looks like Neil Lennon is now in the hat too….

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ob-8548688

Thoughts?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 am

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am
How bizarre.
Doogie Howser?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:29 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:21 am

Thoughts?
Never really been keen on him as an individual but he's won trophies and promotions and if you can handle the pressure at Celtic you can handle it anywhere. I'm open minded on it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:30 am

Ricco wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:27 am
Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:22 am
How bizarre.
Doogie Howser?
Lol that's him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:29 pm

Lampard too now if this source can be believed ….

https://twitter.com/footyinsider247?ref ... b....%2F36

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:36 pm

Anthony Barry ( Chelsea coach)……

Apparently is doing fantastic things at Chelsea…. Maybe him with Lampard ?

His resume is here….

Dec 4 2021 : The Sunday Times
What would Thomas Tuchel or Pep Guardiola do in a hostage situation? Among the 2020 graduates from the FA’s Pro Licence, one candidate stood out.

The cohort included Frank Lampard, Michael Carrick, Kolo Touré and the rising MK Dons manager Liam Manning but they agreed that the star was the youngest participant, Anthony Barry.

Barry, now 35, achieved top marks for written work, showcased outstanding coaching and excelled one memorable day when the guest lecturer was a professional hostage negotiator. He spoke about communicating under pressure before posing a scenario where the coaches had to keep an imaginary hostage alive by talking to the captor.

Barry, calm and empathetic, was a revelation in the role play. In the evening Steve McClaren, a course observer, said to the group: “Anthony Barry . . . wow.” McClaren predicted the 35-year-old from Childwall in Liverpool would go on to make an impact at the highest level of the game. And Barry is doing that, albeit, for now, a slightly unheralded one.

Barry is the brains behind Chelsea’s transformation from set-piece strugglers to the side who have scored the most and conceded the fewest goals at set plays since August 2020, when Lampard gave him the role as assistant head coach. For the past nine months he has held a similar role with Ireland, whose upturn is startling: defeated once in their past nine games, the Irish (previously goalless in 11 hours of football) have scored 20 times since Barry’s arrival, five from set pieces.

ADVERTISEMENT

None of this will surprise his Pro Licence colleagues. Barry’s dissertation was the only one from the course to be published as an academic paper. The Undervalued Set-Piece focuses on throw-ins. The research involved Barry watching 60 hours of footage to scrutinise every one of the 16,380 throw-ins taken in the 2018-19 Premier League season.

His conclusion? That conventional coaching, where from a young age players are taught to throw the ball forward and “work the line” is wrong. Rather, teams should think of throws as the start of a possession and go backwards or laterally with emphasis on keeping the ball. Barry demonstrated a correlation between league position and ability to retain possession after throw-ins, which he pointed out were the most under-coached of all set-pieces, despite being the most common.

STS.FB.CHELSEASETPIECES.051221
His growing reputation has led to approaches for managerial jobs from Cardiff City, Aberdeen and Tranmere Rovers, and the offer of a promotion to join one of Chelsea’s Premier League rivals. But Barry is going nowhere, rebuffing all offers because his chief at Chelsea, on a daily basis, blows him away. In his view, his best way of developing as a coach is to continue working with Thomas Tuchel, who is “different level” when it comes to game model and tactical detail, and rare in terms of his human qualities, creating an environment where even players who have been out of the starting XI are kept focused and ready to perform.

Defensive organisation is another area where Barry has input at Chelsea and Tuchel has said of him, “We didn’t know him before, he was already here under Frank but from the first moment he was a big part of our coaching team.

SPONSORED

“He has quality in analysing games and giving his opinion. He is comfortable on the pitch when in charge of exercises and comfortable in front of the group. He is in charge for all set-pieces and the assistant in any other exercises.”

There are similarities in Tuchel’s and Barry’s paths. Both retired early as players because of knee problems and began their coaching journeys with youth teams. Barry was 30 when he played his last game, for Wrexham in the National League. Half of his career was outside the EFL and the height of his playing career was reaching the League One play-off final with Yeovil.

He began at Everton, in the same youth teams as Wayne Rooney, where he was a small, squat midfielder with a nice pass but lack of speed. He was always a bit different, attending the renowned Bluecoats School in south Liverpool (where his father is a property developer) and achieving A-levels in history and law. Even at 16, peers were startled by his work ethic. “I’ll do my own pre-season,” he told fellow youth players. He was always out running in Calderstones Park or on a treadmill at home in an effort to be the fittest player at the academy.

Barry is comfortable in front of the players, such as Cesar Azpilicueta, both on and off the pitch
Barry is comfortable in front of the players, such as Cesar Azpilicueta, both on and off the pitch
DARREN WALSH
After being released by Everton at 18, he was briefly at Coventry’s academy before joining Accrington Stanley, where he earned £150 a week but the manager, John Coleman provided invaluable inspiration.

ADVERTISEMENT

At Fleetwood, Barry was in the same side as Jamie Vardy. At Accrington, a team-mate was Paul Cook, the present Ipswich Town manager, and after Barry began coaching while still a player at Forest Green (where he took the Under-16s), Cook took him to Wigan Athletic as his No 3. The pair travelled to training together and Cook, renowned for his man-management and tactical detail, became Barry’s mentor. During three seasons at the club, those he worked with included Reece James, Joe Gelhardt and Antonee Robinson .

In Cook’s first campaign, in 2017-18, Wigan reached the FA Cup quarter-finals, shocking West Ham United and Manchester City. Noel Hunt, a member of the squad, told The42: “I think the gaffer was planning to break [Barry] in slowly, but he dived right in and people gravitated to him because he’s a good guy. He makes the game simple to understand.”

While at Wigan, Barry had to fight for a place on the LMA Diploma in Football Management course. Initially, he was declined for lacking the requisite coaching stature and he changed the LMA’s mind with a persuasive letter. He began the Pro Licence feeling a little overawed by the star power of Lampard & co and took a typically methodical approach to address it, hiring a presentation coach who sent him to various places, including schools, to give talks and work on his confidence in addressing a group.

Now, presenting is seen as one of Barry’s strengths and in Chelsea’s tactical meetings he is the next up after Tuchel – a hard and charismatic act to follow – to talk to the squad. In the Premier League, Chelsea have scored 30 set-piece goals in 52 games since his arrival, particularly improving their effectiveness from corner kicks while going from being the worst of the “big six”’ at defending set plays to the best.

After Andreas Christensen scored his first goal in 137 Chelsea appearances, against Malmo, Tuchel wrote in his programme notes: “It is a good sign when Andreas starts to score — and I think our set piece coach, Anthony Barry, can be very, very proud!”

The extra commitments with Ireland mean Barry has little down time and he remains a fitness fanatic, who does a daily 5km run before heading to the training ground, where he will often go for another jog with fellow coaches Zsolt Low and Arno Michels.

Barry has two young children and moved his family from the North West to Surrey.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 pm

Why do I have horrible feeling the majority of us are going to be disappointed.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:09 pm

I'm feeling that atm, the list i saw of potential targets was depressing

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:12 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 pm
I am already disappointed as the more and more i think about it (see my posts under "Cook or Ashton signings), i can't but help think that maybe PC has been shafted!
Yes, i am sounding like a broken record, but I still believe PC was fired too early! I just hope a new manager can come in and get us up the table as that might just make me believe i could have been wrong!

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm

hallamblue wrote:

Thoughts?

:shock: No WAY would we want Lennon here was terrible at Bolton, and successful at Celtic because of the p*ss poor opposition in the SPL, as soon as Rangers made a charge up the league he was found out, and sacked so no thanks

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Thoughts?

:shock: No WAY would we want Lennon here was terrible at Bolton, and successful at Celtic because of the p*ss poor opposition in the SPL, as soon as Rangers made a charge up the league he was found out, and sacked so no thanks
Really, he had Bolton up near play off positions before they hit financial shambles !. He never stood a chance. Not quite sure why he ever took that job.

He was outstanding at Celtic in his first spell and was hung out to dry last season by a host of players who didn't want to be there. Remember he won the league season before last !

He also did a really good job at Hibs.

Your comment about p*ss poor opposition in the SPL, are you saying that Steven Gerrards achievements are worthless ? 2 fine football coaches both of them

People don't like Neil Lennon because he is spiky and challenges all the time. For me he is an excellent coach who would do well at Ipswich Town.
I'd actually forgotten about Neil Lennon being out of work, he would be a really good choice IMO. Also managed a club like Celtic successfully who are on a whole different level to Ipswich Town.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:51 pm

Would certainly have no issue with Neil Lennon as a new manager.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:25 pm

I'm not sure about Lennon. I think he did a fantastic job at Celtic first time round. Second time round he was shafted.

His Bolton spell was pretty good until financial problems messed everything up, as VR said.

My problem with him is that he has a feel of Mick McCarthy about him. Good with player management but too confrontational and the football his teams play is not attractive.

He wouldn't be the worst appointment but he doesn't excite me at all.

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:51 pm

Lots of good comments. Agree the list of potentials can look a bit underwhelming but who else really is there? Could just be a case of limited good available options.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 8:07 pm

valleyroad wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:42 pm
ashfordblue wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:33 pm
hallamblue wrote:

Thoughts?

Really, he had Bolton up near play off positions before they hit financial shambles !. He never stood a chance. Not quite sure why he ever took that job.

He was outstanding at Celtic in his first spell and was hung out to dry last season by a host of players who didn't want to be there. Remember he won the league season before last !

He also did a really good job at Hibs.

Your comment about p*ss poor opposition in the SPL, are you saying that Steven Gerrards achievements are worthless ? 2 fine football coaches both of them

People don't like Neil Lennon because he is spiky and challenges all the time. For me he is an excellent coach who would do well at Ipswich Town.
I'd actually forgotten about Neil Lennon being out of work, he would be a really good choice IMO. Also managed a club like Celtic successfully who are on a whole different level to Ipswich Town.
Interesting comments VR. Given the questions being raised about the level of Ashtons involvement, you’d have to wonder if a strong minded “ spikey” manager like Lennon would even get an interview let alone the job . Ashton and O’Leary will no doubt be the interviewers .

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:00 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 pm
I am already disappointed as the more and more i think about it (see my posts under "Cook or Ashton signings), i can't but help think that maybe PC has been shafted!
Yes, i am sounding like a broken record, but I still believe PC was fired too early! I just hope a new manager can come in and get us up the table as that might just make me believe i could have been wrong!
Sadly I disagree, he had to go, for me a lot of this mess is down to Cook, I think people are getting too hung up on this Ashton stuff.

trimleyblue
Global Moderator

Post by trimleyblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:17 pm