Our next manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Re: Our next manager

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:30 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:00 pm
AzzurroMark wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 5:50 pm
Why do I have horrible feeling the majority of us are going to be disappointed.
I am already disappointed as the more and more i think about it (see my posts under "Cook or Ashton signings), i can't but help think that maybe PC has been shafted!
Yes, i am sounding like a broken record, but I still believe PC was fired too early! I just hope a new manager can come in and get us up the table as that might just make me believe i could have been wrong!
Sadly I disagree, he had to go, for me a lot of this mess is down to Cook, I think people are getting too hung up on this Ashton stuff.
I guess we will never know to what extent Ashton gets involved, but i will say, despite any of my speculation, to my eyes MA has indeed done a fantastic job so far! I would like to remain positive on him until such point as confirmed otherwise.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 9:50 pm

I think we have to have faith and belief in Ashton until there is a genuine reason to think otherwise, with what's gone on before at other clubs there could be good reason as to why Ashton did what he did. I mean who do Bristol City think they are and where should they be in the pyramid? From where I was sitting they punched above their weight and did well under Ashtons guidance.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 08, 2021 10:20 pm

For some reason , and I can’t explain why, I just feel a bit wary of Ashtons role now. We’ll see what happens when the next manager comes in . But I’m sick and tired of how this Club is invalid getting out of this bloody mess. There’s even an element of me that wonders how long the new owners will give us . I’m quite unsettled by it all now .

Just what the hell has happened to this team that promised so much?

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:22 am

If it was my Pension Fund I’d want them to sell up, take a quick hit and get the hell out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am

To get back on topic, I’m also surprised if we’ve sacked Paul Cook with no idea whatsoever who will replace him. That’s not the way it usually happens these days, and to think given our situation that McGreal/Dyer are seen as adequate interims is ridiculous.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:12 am

I reckon they definitely already have some irons in the fire, as you say that's how it is these days.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:45 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:09 am
To get back on topic, I’m also surprised if we’ve sacked Paul Cook with no idea whatsoever who will replace him. That’s not the way it usually happens these days, and to think given our situation that McGreal/Dyer are seen as adequate interims is ridiculous.
That’s why McGreal was brought in I think to support an unwell Dyer, and stand in as first team manager…McG has already said it’s for a couple of games….so that takes us to Sunderland game doesn’t it

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Dec 09, 2021 12:53 pm

Funny how the odds change daily, yesterday Lennon was 2-1 now he is 6-1. Neil Harris is 1-1 today! Thoughts on him? I don’t really know him myself.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 pm

I saw somewhere yesterday that Harris was favourite, how bloody scary and uninspiring is that!!!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 3:51 pm

Moggas odds have been slashed from 50/1 to something like 6/1 now I think

TWTD:

Mowbray Linked With Town Vacancy
Thursday, 9th Dec 2021 15:46
Former Blues skipper and coach Tony Mowbray, currently boss at Blackburn Rovers, is the latest name to be linked with the vacant Town manager’s job.

According to the Suffolk News, the 58-year-old is high on Town’s list of potential new bosses following Paul Cook's sacking at the weekend.

Mowbray has been with Rovers since 2017 and they are currently fourth in the Championship, so it would be a huge surprise if he departed Ewood Park at the present time, despite his contract being up next summer.

The former centre-half was a member of the Town team which won promotion to the Premier League in the play-off final at Wembley in 2000 and scored Town’s equaliser against Barnsley in what proved to be the final game of his playing career.

Mowbray took charge of four games as caretaker-manager of the Blues alongside Bryan Klug following George Burley’s departure in 2002 and was close to being appointed boss by former owner Marcus Evans late in the 2009/2010 season.

The man known as Mogga is assisted at Blackburn by his former Town team-mate Mark Venus, who is believed to be interested in managing a club himself at some stage.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:06 pm

Hmmmmm.....

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:15 pm

Ha ha ha what’s that mean?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:19 pm

Not keen

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:25 pm

Blackburn are 4th atm so not shabby .

Thing is every man and his dog is being linked to this Club now. You’ve only got to look at the comments by Posh owner to see how we are perceived in the game. Not sure why he’s always got something to say about this Club though ! :lol:

Suspect it’ll be another name in the hat tomorrow …….

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:40 pm

In a way I hope it's not Mowbray I can't see it working and he's a good man as is Mark Venus who I used to speak to when he came into a shop where I worked in Manningtree.

Hyper0blue

Post by Hyper0blue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:43 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 pm
I saw somewhere yesterday that Harris was favourite, how bloody scary and uninspiring is that!!!
If someone like Harris gets the job, we may as well just fold the club!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:34 pm

Hyper0blue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:43 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 1:12 pm
If someone like Harris gets the job, we may as well just fold the club!
Talk about out of the frying pan and into the fire. This club will never return anything near what we hope it to be, that is clear if this is the type of nonsensical appointment we are looking at.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 pm

Harris....No
Kuki......No
Lampard...No
Terry....No
Lennon....No
Warnock...until end of season
Mowbray.....unsure
Hughton....No
Jack Ross....once yes not now.

I hope the board gage the feelings of the fans b4 they appoiont a new manager because some of the names being mentioned worry me.

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:52 pm

Charnwood wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking. I think after Charlton no one is going to argue that McGreal is a better option than Cook, the players clearly are not motivated by him. So surely Ashton and the owners sacked Cook because they see someone better that they can secure soon? Otherwise, they might as well have continued with Cook and maybe put pressure on him to change things, rather than take the nuclear option?

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 am

JohnnyB wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
That’s what I’m thinking. I think after Charlton no one is going to argue that McGreal is a better option than Cook, the players clearly are not motivated by him. So surely Ashton and the owners sacked Cook because they see someone better that they can secure soon? Otherwise, they might as well have continued with Cook and maybe put pressure on him to change things, rather than take the nuclear option?
Are we doing John McGreal a bit of an injustice here? PC sacked Saturday, an apparently shocked JM being asked to become interim manager, having only come through the door on the Thursday. Hardly a whole day of training with players he barely knows!
Let's see how we look this weekend against Wigan, a very tough fixture which most of us would not expect much joy from. I could accept defeat where we put on an encouraging performance.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:58 am

mendipblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Harris....No
Kuki......No
Lampard...No
Terry....No
Lennon....No
Mowbray.....unsure
Hughton....No

I hope the board gage the feelings of the fans b4 they appoiont a new manager
because some of the names being mentioned worry me.
This made me smile. How are the board meant to gauge the feeling of the fans, when Warnock, short term, seems to be the only real suggestion that has any apparent support! Unless you mean who they shouldn't appoint and in that case yes i get you. Make an appointment which is universally unpopular and that manager will have to work twice as hard to keep fans off his back.

Just looking at your list, who would you suggest if the club are going for a long term strategy? I think it is impossibly tough. Of your candidates list if pushed, i would say Mowbray, Lennon or possibly Harris, who has more pedigree than i realised. According to the EADT "Harris, who has reached the play-offs three times as a manager, including winning one of his two trips to Wembley with the Lions in League One before finishing fifth in the Championship with Cardiff' . Looking at TransferMarkt stats, his PPM compares well with Warnock or Mowbray, albeit his managerial career has been short to date.
Also seems both Harris &Warnock prefer the same formation as PC, ok so they probably have the ability to mix it up. Mowbray is down as favouring a 4-3-3, which quite surprised me.

Just so you know, I truly do not have a clue who i would want to manage our club, it is, to me, an extremely tough appointment which we have to get right. Whoever comes in though will get my full support though.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:04 am

I'd like to see Mowbray once again as team coach but you got to discount for this season as he's got a full-time job at Blackburn what with them on the verge of the automatic promotion places. Would expect them to finish top six and probably lottery of the play-off games, all said and done he'll stick with them and see it through to next May. No team will lure him away and he'll have little intention of leaving also.

Lennon paraded about but has little to no experience outside of the twilight world of Scottish soccer. May have done a job in the SPL or lower league there but could present a fish out of water trying to accomplish something even in the third tier of the English leagues.

Farke or Bruce if available : you got to overlook the Norwich connection. OK it might provide some fun or ridicule from their fanbase if we were to appoint either name but right now you (as in us) could well hire far worse. In an ideal world I'd jump at the chance to allow Claudio Ranieri the opportunity but got to accept it's a slim to no shot at best. Don't think Leicester City or Watford are any bigger in stature than we are other than leagues above but the idea he would accept a position so far down the league pyramid is unfortunately a rare to non-starter.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:30 am

Alex Neil added to the list now . Bloody hell , it just gets worse doesn’t it …. :roll:

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Dec 10, 2021 6:33 am

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:29 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 11:52 pm
Charnwood wrote:
Are we doing John McGreal a bit of an injustice here? PC sacked Saturday, an apparently shocked JM being asked to become interim manager, having only come through the door on the Thursday. Hardly a whole day of training with players he barely knows!
Let's see how we look this weekend against Wigan, a very tough fixture which most of us would not expect much joy from. I could accept defeat where we put on an encouraging performance.
It’s a fair point, and he wouldn’t be the first interim manager do unexpectedly well in his tenure. Yes, let’s see what happens at Wigan and for the next few games. Good luck to him

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 10, 2021 8:59 am

Alex Neil ffs, it gets worse.

Keep Mcgreal too long (which we won't) and we'll probably be in a relegation dogfight

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:02 am

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:51 pm

End of the day these are just rumours, lets wait to see any concrete new with evidence to back it up.

We will not get a Muppet in, maybe a Fraggle but not a muppet!

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:55 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:58 am
mendipblue wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:46 pm
Harris....No
Kuki......No
Lampard...No
Terry....No
Lennon....No
Mowbray.....unsure
Hughton....No

I hope the board gage the feelings of the fans b4 they appoiont a new manager
because some of the names being mentioned worry me.
This made me smile. How are the board meant to gauge the feeling of the fans, when Warnock, short term, seems to be the only real suggestion that has any apparent support! Unless you mean who they shouldn't appoint and in that case yes i get you. Make an appointment which is universally unpopular and that manager will have to work twice as hard to keep fans off his back.

Just looking at your list, who would you suggest if the club are going for a long term strategy? I think it is impossibly tough. Of your candidates list if pushed, i would say Mowbray, Lennon or possibly Harris, who has more pedigree than i realised. According to the EADT "Harris, who has reached the play-offs three times as a manager, including winning one of his two trips to Wembley with the Lions in League One before finishing fifth in the Championship with Cardiff' . Looking at TransferMarkt stats, his PPM compares well with Warnock or Mowbray, albeit his managerial career has been short to date.
Also seems both Harris &Warnock prefer the same formation as PC, ok so they probably have the ability to mix it up. Mowbray is down as favouring a 4-3-3, which quite surprised me.

Just so you know, I truly do not have a clue who i would want to manage our club, it is, to me, an extremely tough appointment which we have to get right. Whoever comes in though will get my full support though.
You got me then. Right the club needs a Manager with a proven track record and has total respect from the players. Warnock would come in and tell these players a few home truths organise the defence and work from a solid base. He is to old for the job long term.. Let's not kid ourselves here we are as close to the bottom 3 as to the top 6 so we need points badly. Warnock maybe with a younger coach just for this season then stick around in a advisory capacity and get rid of that none producing Peter Reid!! :roll:

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:59 pm

Warnock until end of season with a view to Tony M in the summer…? That might be quite good as an idea.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 10, 2021 1:22 pm

The more names I read linked to our vacant managers post the more I think Mick Mills may have been right when he suggested Paul Cook should have been given until the end of the season to get things right. My biggest fear now is that we become a hire and fire club and continue in decline. I honestly don’t know how I would cope with a drop to League Two. Are Bradford City the only side so far to have dropped from the Premier League to League Two.