FA Cup (R2 Replay) - Barrow AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Onto Round 3?

Barrow Win
29%
Ipswich Win
71%
Penalties
No votes

Total votes: 14

Frosty
Forum Owner

Re: FA Cup (R2 Replay) - Barrow AFC vs Ipswich Town Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:00 pm

Well that preview went well ..........................

Time for you to stop pissing about in hospital Michael and get back onto the previews huh?? :wink:

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:05 pm

Thank f*ck I don't have to watch that sh*t too often. Let's be quick, Barrow, you can argue they're a p*ss-ant club in the middle of nowhere but they deserved the victory. Town didn't turn up first half and although improved near the end with a sense of urgency, by then the damage had been done.

Cup games for us, no matter who the opposition, 95 per cent of the time you know how it's going to be. One last time, perhaps the last, just relieved to be of an age to know and have seen what winning the F.A. Cup means or resembles here at Portman Road. It won't happen again in this lifetime.

Their goalkeeper seemed to spend a number of instances time-wasting even with considerable play remaining, I realize they wanted to win but frustrated at times the way they strove to achieve it. They said before today Barrow had won what 4 out of 15 games, lo and behold they beat us somewhat convincingly.

Whether anyone wants to agree of disagree say once more got to imagine the season is over and all this before an end of year. The team just lacks belief and self-esteem, furthermore if you can't beat this caliber of oppostion over two games then what chance is there.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:56 pm
Liz, it wasn't Ashton that sacked Cook, it was the boards unanimous decision, Ashton is just a puppet in that decision.
I'm not disagreeing, but we don't really know that do we? I'd imagine Ashton would be putting forward suggestions and the board would be signing off on them, rather than t'other way round??

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:13 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Liz, it wasn't Ashton that sacked Cook, it was the boards unanimous decision, Ashton is just a puppet in that decision.
I’m not so sure Mike….

I actually do not trust Ashton now …

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:15 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 pm
Bluemike wrote:
I'm not disagreeing, but we don't really know that do we? I'd imagine Ashton would be putting forward suggestions and the board would be signing off on them, rather than t'other way round??
Exactly . In his interview he said the Board are in agreement with me …. We are in full agreement.

You have to ask why the players have seemingly fallen to pieces now .

It’s just like Lambert’s squad downing tools when Cook came in . It’s repeating itself

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:21 pm

I hate us being this poor as much as anyone but have to say this post on TWTD made me chuckle - things really are this bad and for me, I cannot fault anything this poster says...

Walton is the most overrated goalie I have ever seen. Nsiala has never been good. Wolfenden is living off one good season. Donacien is living off 3 good weeks. KVY is living off a good month. Burgess, is living off the fact he can count to 26. Penney looks like he won a competition. El Mizouni is living off a good strike last round. Morsy is nowhere near the footballing genius Cook said he was. Aluko was past his best 65 years ago. Chaplin is living off the fact he's grown bum fluff. Jackson made a career off outrunning someone. Piggott is either offside or passing to the keeper. Norwood drinks more in one night than he scores in a season. I'm just utterly fed up

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm

All joking aside, from the matches I’ve watched the majority of our players are average at best. I’m tired of hearing we have a good squad just not a good team. Let’s face it folks blame who you want, we don’t have a promotion quality squad…this season or next season no matter who the manager is. I’m afraid there needs to be more money spent in January and there’ll probably be money needed for the off season transfer window. We’ll certainly need to dip into the loan market again because the sinking ship needs stabilizing fast. The only real positive right now is the fact we do have financial backing ‘at the moment’ to turn things around. If Evans was still at the helm, we’d undoubtedly be in League 2 next season…we still may I suppose but I do have a morsel of optimism things will get better.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:09 am

The club is in desperate need of a new manager.
McGreal is in no mans land and its not his fault.
The players know he is stop gap appointment and are playing as such.
New manager is probably one of the most key decisions this new group of owners will make.
For me the quality is in the squad just needs the right man to fit it all together

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:11 am

number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:40 pm
All joking aside, from the matches I’ve watched the majority of our players are average at best. I’m tired of hearing we have a good squad just not a good team. Let’s face it folks blame who you want, we don’t have a promotion quality squad…this season or next season no matter who the manager is. I’m afraid there needs to be more money spent in January and there’ll probably be money needed for the off season transfer window. We’ll certainly need to dip into the loan market again because the sinking ship needs stabilizing fast. The only real positive right now is the fact we do have financial backing ‘at the moment’ to turn things around. If Evans was still at the helm, we’d undoubtedly be in League 2 next season…we still may I suppose but I do have a morsel of optimism things will get better.
I think there is enough in the squad but it will need added to. A few probably moved on and a few additions.
Doom and gloom and all disaster at the moment but if the new man gets it right then the momentum will change.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:12 am

Bluemike wrote:
I'd like to think you're right but I fear you are not. I think Hallam and Ricco are probably closer to the truth. I have a really bad feeling about Ashton.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 am

People read the interview again, carefully, I can't think he would openly lie for the new owners to see, or it could just be he's being offered up as a sacrificial lamb, I don't get the Ashton witch hunt as Cook is kinda lauded over, Cooks team, Cook's mess, Cooks fault.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 am

I think the players are collectively doing to McGreal what the previous squad did to Cook and stopped playing for him. Let’s hope they don’t do the same to the new man. We’ve almost come to expect it in the Premief League but in League 1 ffs this isn’t real, surely at this level you’d expect them to be grateful just to have a club and a salary. This is shocking to say the least.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:35 am

I was wondering what F*****G team had JM put out in the 1st half it was a bloody mess Nisala is a liability when he went off and Wolfie came on alongside Burgess we looked a lot better, Penny was crap, Donacien at RB pushing KVY up the attack was better, Morsy played better except for the needless yellow again, Piggot needs to play a lot more games alongside Chaplin, Jackson is a waste of space and must go, Norwood is nowhere good enough so can leave, in fact, the incoming manager has one hell of a lot of changes and organizing to do.

I thought John Mac made the correct changes in the 2nd half and we had a lot more shape and fight (literally) :lol: at some points, it got a bit heated, but we do need to stop this 1st half crap turn up, it's not acceptable to the traveling fans or the ones at home watching on TV.

Things have got to change massively if we are to be the Mackems at the next home game.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:32 am
People read the interview again, carefully, I can't think he would openly lie for the new owners to see, or it could just be he's being offered up as a sacrificial lamb, I don't get the Ashton witch hunt as Cook is kinda lauded over, Cooks team, Cook's mess, Cooks fault.
He said words to the affect that the board were in full agreement or unanimous in decision, something like that from memory, at no point did he say it was purely the boards decision and he was uninvolved.

And I'm not saying this is what happened, have to empathise that, but if Ashton put forward the suggestion that they let Cook go, then why wouldn't they be in full agreement if they trust Ashton's opinion? Ashton should be best placed to critique Cook's performance, so I would imagine his voice would be pretty front and centre?

It's also the political line to take isn't it? He's not going to stand there and say it was all his decision and he's not going to stand there and say it was all the boards and he disagreed with it. So that boils down to we'll never know, but it is my opinion that he was a large part of the decision or what the hell is he doing here.

Time may tell whether letting Cook go was the right decision, but again I think its a case of we'll never know. With the managers available right now it doesn't look great.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:30 am

He said " they have made this decision " at one point, I remember hearing it. The thing is, whoever made the decision was spot on, it had to happen and people can't really say it was a mistake until we know ALL the reasons for it.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:57 pm

Not surprised Nsiala had such a bad game considering his recent altercation with fans and his seemingly forced apology. He was either trying too hard or he just doesn’t give a sh*t anymore…which is apparently the case for most of the squad. There’s not much Ashton can do about player’s performances on the pitch and there wasn’t much Cook could do either.