Our next manager

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Our next manager

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 15, 2021 9:19 pm

Ricco wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 8:30 pm
I've said it's a poisoned chalice many times, but never that no manager would want the job, managers are a crazy/ambitious breed!

GWS by the way Mike, hope you're feeling better.
It wasn't aimed at anyone mate, thank you Ricco, I've been through quite a bit last few days but this sh*te I'm watching tonite is far more painful

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 15, 2021 10:12 pm

The problem is whilst we remain managerless this is likely to get worse not better. We have so many players running around like headless chickens including Sam Morsy who has just picked up his customary yellow card for a heavy challenge. I still think individually we have sufficient decent players to make a decent team, unfortunately they don’t play together line one.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:06 pm

Look, theoretically how many ooints do you see this side getting over our next 4 games?
Sunderland, Gillingham, Wycombe and Lincoln? After watching tonight i feel we'd be lucky to come away with 3! Now let's say we do hire Neil Harris, obviously not the fans' choice, how long will the minority muppet supporters give him before calling for his head? New Years Day if we struggle in those 4 games? While we need stability, ANY manager coming here right now is going to struggle to change the course of this team!

Forget your Warnocks, your Farkes, your McInnes! Forget the lot of them! Harry Houdini would struggle to get out of this bloody mess! What a complete shambles! Don't care what people say (yes i can see reasons why PC was sacked) i would never have sacked Cook so early. For me, our hens are truly coming home to roost!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:08 pm

Our next manager needs to be God himself . Other than that we stand no bloody chance …of staying UP were that bad since Cook has been sacked .

THANKS ASHTON 👍 you utter tool
Last edited by hallamblue on Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bluejacko

Post by bluejacko » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:09 pm

It’s no wonder it’s taking some time for a new man! I mean every manager we play sets his team out better than us. They ALL must be contenders.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm

Well what’s clear is it doesn’t matter if we play 1 up front if 2 up front .. we’re still toothless .

This playing a wrong formation theory is utter shyte . It’s THE PLAYERS

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:14 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:11 pm
Well what’s clear is it doesn’t matter if we play 1 up front if 2 up front .. we’re still toothless .

This playing a wrong formation theory is utter shyte . It’s THE PLAYERS
True. I notice that formations seems to have been forgotten about, as 2 up front i thought made us look worse and even more exposed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:19 pm

I think ( would suggest ) that our real problem area is midfield . It’s lightweight , easily overrun, lacking in creativity and an ability to protect the defence and link defence with the attack . That for me is where the ne man has to focus .

But I can see yet another overhaul of this squad in January now . If this season was difficult to get into top 6 it’s bloody nigh on impossible now .
Too much change at all levels …,

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:05 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:19 pm
I think ( would suggest ) that our real problem area is midfield . It’s lightweight , easily overrun, lacking in creativity and an ability to protect the defence and link defence with the attack . That for me is where the ne man has to focus .

But I can see yet another overhaul of this squad in January now . If this season was difficult to get into top 6 it’s bloody nigh on impossible now .
Too much change at all levels …,
Yes exactly right, dear. I’m a strong believer in building a team around the midfield. It doesn’t really matter how many capable strikers you put on the pitch, nor capable defenders. If you have a weak midfield you’re vulnerable in attack & defense. Of course I’ve mentioned the weakness of our midfield numerous times, and it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. When I played footie back in the dark ages, I was primarily the link between defense & attack. Say what you will, but it certainly showed when I didn’t play.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Thu Dec 16, 2021 2:07 am

A team can't have a spine without a solid midfield. We are spineless.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:25 am

I said weeks ago when everyone was focusing on the defence that Midfield is our real weakness and its correct, Morsy is a top player but he is being made to look poor by the dross around him.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 8:47 am

I hate to say this but we do miss Burns, along with Celina to play midfield with Chaplin & Morsey that's where your weak spine is, so I think come Jan window whoever we have in charge we do need another two midfielders with the quality of Wes Burns.

Plus we need to release a few players as well ones that are not fitting in, some have mentioned that Walton is not that good, well if we can't defend it makes it hard work for Walton.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:20 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 7:25 am
I said weeks ago when everyone was focusing on the defence that Midfield is our real weakness and its correct, Morsy is a top player but he is being made to look poor by the dross around him.
Our midfield has been a problem for years now hasn’t it . And no matter who the manager is , it’s never been sorted … the defence is only marginally “ better “.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:43 pm

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 16, 2021 3:49 pm

It’s got to stage of set to be announced as new Ipswich manager - Kieron McKenna.

Never heard of him before yesterday.

https://www.skysports.com/football/new ... ch-manager

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:01 pm

Nice little yes man for Ashton? :lol: :lol:

It would be a weird one, never write off a manager before they start, but hmmmm.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:07 pm

So maybe Ashton had his man in place but couldn't finalise move until Rangnick was at Old Trafford, its just possible we did have a plan and there isn't any negative drama going on.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:11 pm

I don't think there's any drama going on, but Cook was sacked after Rangnick was in.

How on earth would you even go about judging a 35 year old U18 coach? Must be off recommendations?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:19 pm

Surprise Surprise a big gamble IMO no experience we just have to hope it works but I'm not impressed saying that Richardson at Wigan was the coach and that's worked out well so fingers crossed and let's give him a chance.
Jim Magilton as his coach?.
Last edited by Kerry Blue on Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:47 pm

Can't say I'm jumping up and down either (it would probably kill me atm anyhow) but I'm more than happy to get behind the guy.

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:50 pm

Never heard of him but a Man Utd coach, could it get any better?? His first managerial post so this is going to be interesting.

Im sorry but the more I sit and stew the more I am beginning to dislike MA, just do not trust him at the mo, guess time will tell, but I digress.

Now who else will follow him out of Man Utd as we need some more staff? but could he be in a position to filter some of their promising youngsters over for the odd loan, does sound promising from that perspective. But this appointment at first glance just does not fill me with any hope or enthusiasm, but I am probably wrong and being unfair, guess if it happens got to give him a chance, he could be what we need.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't expect it's true yet anyway but Wikipedia says Magilton is assistant manager .

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:59 pm

Well if that turns out to be true KB at least he will hopefully sort out the Midfield!

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:01 pm

Big gamble but not always headline managers who are the best appointments.
Imagine it was Eddie Howe starting out ?
Given the level of investment and the difficulty of the job for a number of managers I'm a bit surprised but at least its done now and no more speculation.
Magilton as assistant is a good move, fine coach and won't tolerate the junk that has been served up.
Now McKenna needs 100% backing

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:06 pm

Will totally get behind him, but like many i am very surprised by this! Just wonder how he will get on with the more senior pro's amongst our squad, some are not many years younger! Perhaps he could be our modern day Bobby Robson (i know it will never ever happen again in football. Any modicum of success and he will be headhunted before ever building a top side) . A young relatively unknown manager who had to deal with a couple of older players giving him grief!

I certainly don't envy the guy, but perhaps we underestimate at our peril!

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:11 pm

After Ash’s incessant non-stop attempt to sell Warnock - was finally convinced last night after that shitfest.

Can’t help feel we need someone tough and with enough experience and respect within the game to turn it around. Now we’ve got a young manager who’s got to first learn how to manage as well as deal with a difficult club situation. How does managing under 18’s and coaching PL teams translate to dealing with uncompromising L1 teams? If it works, it’s a master-stroke, but really not sure about this at all.

If they wanted a head coach instead of an school manager - why didn’t they go that route in the summer? Doesn’t add up and he’s got to start off playing catch up whilst learning on the job. Just stinks of muddled thinking.

I hope Ashton isn’t getting blinded by the name of Man U in his decision. They’ve been under-achieving for years. We’ve picked up PL youngsters on loan and they’ve disappointed.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:22 pm

I quite like this new manager approach to get Mckenna in he's got special talents as described by Jim Magilton and could be very good for us with all the Man U youth contacts as he's on a learning curve, and as JM has stated he's meticulous in his preparation per game, could he be assisted by Michael Carrick ex-West Ham a London boy close to home.
But he will have some more clearing out to do, but he has the nucleus in the current squad to build from and the financial backing,so hopefully start a push up the league :D get him in ASAP

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm

Ricco wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:01 pm
Nice little yes man for Ashton? :lol: :lol:

It would be a weird one, never write off a manager before they start, but hmmmm.
I couldn't agree more. More like Ashton calling the shots & this new bloke as his chief coach, who will no doubt carry the can if it falls apart.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:26 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 4:57 pm
I don't expect it's true yet anyway but Wikipedia says Magilton is assistant manager .
Apparently Martyn Pert might be the assistant manager.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Thu Dec 16, 2021 5:30 pm

Anything's better than Neil Harris. :D