Statue of "The Beat" to be unveiled

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

AzzurroMark

Statue of "The Beat" to be unveiled

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:05 pm

The date for the unveiling of Kevin Beattie's statue has been set for 18th December.

https://www.itfc.co.uk/news/2021/decemb ... g-details/

I only have video clips and books to tell of his great contribution to Ipswich Town FC and to the hearts of all those Ipswich fans who were lucky enough to watch him.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: Statue of "The Beat" to be unveiled

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 pm

He was quite simply god to me where footballers are concerned, a great. Had the pleasure of his company many times and a nicer guy you could not wish to meet, a fitting tribute to an ITFC legend.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:20 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:14 pm
He was quite simply god to me where footballers are concerned, a great. Had the pleasure of his company many times and a nicer guy you could not wish to meet, a fitting tribute to an ITFC legend.
Always lovely to read these sort of comments! :D

If Statues were Top Trumps cards, we would have a pretty impressive hand with the 3 we have at Portman Road.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:49 pm

I still can’t believe Kevin is no longer with us. Looking back he is probably one of the very best players I watched play in what was definitely Towns best ever team, I just loved watching him and Alan Hunter play together almost as if they were joined together so good was there understanding of each other. As with Mike I was lucky to share his company on a few occasions, mostly at Sportsman’s Dinners which were so popular in the 80’s, but he was also a guest at a cousins wedding when I really got to know him better. A true ITFC legend, possibly our very best and such a shame his career was cut short by injuries incurred whilst still at the top of his game. He will always be remembered and this statue is a very fitting tribute.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Fri Dec 03, 2021 2:16 pm

Met him on several occasions and as already been said a great guy. Will never forget at a game at Blackpool he saw my daughter in her wheelchair and came over and spoke to her for about 10-15 minutes. Really made her day.
As for his playing career, the word legend is often overused imo but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that he is a ITFC legend. A player who could have easily gone on and won over 100 caps for England if not for injury. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen him play before injuries took their toll.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:01 am

A power house on the pitch (what we could do with someone with half his heart and ability today) and a lovely man off it. When my daughter was young and she approached him for an autograph (with Mick Mills) in the bar of the Sir Alf stand, he took time to chat and make her feel special. She remembers it to this day (she is now 30). A top bloke and I have to say that I love the statue too - one of the best I have seen.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 05, 2021 12:14 am

I Used to play Golf with Alan Hunter, George Burley, Brian Hamilton, and many other Town players at the annual ITFC Golf days held twice a year, and Kevin would turn up to meet all his old playing mates and what a wonderful bloke to talk to, like all the players it was instilled into them you meet and greet the fans who pay your wages.

Also, it shows how hard a player the Beat was, I remember us playing in the European UEFA cup in 1980/81 ?? against BOHEMIANS OF PRAGUE us winning 3-0 and a freezing cold night nearly all the players had long sleeve shirts on, BUT not the Beat short sleeves shirt, hard as FOOKING nails was the Cumbrian lad, also Johnny Wark getting 14 goals in the rounds, and 36 for the season of 66 league and 3 separate cup games in a season, runners up to Villa in the league, now that was a squad of 14 players who worked their socks off for Sir Bobby :D

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Sat Dec 18, 2021 1:30 pm

Nice to see the statue has been unveilled this morning, and pleased the family like it.

Hopefully will pay him a vist when I am next down and pay my respects to a true hero of ITFC.

Only fitting to have this as a permanent reminder of his dedication to Town.

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:20 pm

I'm a bit disappointed, love the pose but his face is not right IMO but still great to have it.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:31 pm

My thoughts too KB, it doesn't resemble the Beat facially

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Dec 18, 2021 3:42 pm

Looks a bit more like Allan Hunter.

Angle can be deceiving, though. Classic Adidas strip.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:10 pm

Yeah, not sure about the likeness, but it's a fun unique posture!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sun Dec 19, 2021 7:39 pm

Great statue, great body line and pose, but omg thd face and likeness is shockingly poor. Please please please change this and put it right.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:44 pm

To be voted club's greatest player you got to go some. You're in there with names like Wark, Crawford, Brazil etc so it's a great honor for Beattie to be announced first vote by the fanbase.

Strange thing being creator Sean Quinn has "only" been a fan of the team since 1982 therefore would have missed out on Beattie's playing time here but went on to say (quote) "He's been left emotional (and) I can't add to people what this means to me to do this"

It's a crowdfunding effort that made it possible and while some may question an actual resemblance to the player, sure it will fit in well with the clubs already existing tribute figures to be found around the stadium.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:47 pm

Facially the statue is wrong. Lets hope this can be sorted.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:06 pm

Yep, its a bit disappointing in truth.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:59 pm

I can’t believe his family have commented positively as there is no facial resemblance to The Beat whatsoever. Surely this can be improved ? As I recall the prototype wasn’t brilliant but the finished statue surely is even worse.