McKenna confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Dazzz67

Re: McKenna confirmed

Post by Dazzz67 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:39 pm

One thing we will have to do is give the bloke time and a chance, I do not think any of us are happy how things have gone recently so the next few results may not be great but all we can do is look for an improvement. Hopefully we will get a better idea end of Jan following a few weeks of hard work and the how the transfer situation pans out.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm

Just think McKenna was to Mourinho what Mourinho was to Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona.

This could be a massive appointment.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:14 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:29 pm
I can’t believe how much negativity there is on ITFC Fans Social Media over the appointment of Kieran McKenna. WTF is it with some of our fans not even being prepared to give him a chance. No wonder our fans have such a shocking reputation these days, p*ss poor and totally thick judging some of the comments. I just hope they stay away for a while and let the guy find his feet before they start hounding him out.

Does anyone know if he’s involved in team selection tomorrow or is this being left with John McGreal.
I believe he is having no involvement tomorrow Andy.

LizinSpain

Post by LizinSpain » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:09 pm

Lets hope this appointment works!!!

At this stage though we have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

A fresh new approach from someone with no real baggage and a hunger to make a name for himself is probably exactly what we need!! I'll be watching all the games from here in Spain and (travel restrictions permitting) be back in the spring and get to a couple of games with a bit of luck. COYB!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:25 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 2:39 pm
One thing we will have to do is give the bloke time and a chance, I do not think any of us are happy how things have gone recently so the next few results may not be great but all we can do is look for an improvement. Hopefully we will get a better idea end of Jan following a few weeks of hard work and the how the transfer situation pans out.
Yeah the one step forwards, two steps backwards situation has been a trait of recent ITFC managers way too often. I think most fans are willing to be patient as long there are signs of improvement. Cook just couldn't build any momentum in the team and they kept falling flat. If McKenna can at least stabilize things going into January and then maybe bring in a few additions to the squad, we can hopefully approach the new year with revived hope and optimism.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 17, 2021 6:23 pm

Charnwood wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:08 pm
Just think McKenna was to Mourinho what Mourinho was to Bobby Robson at Sporting Lisbon, Porto and Barcelona.

This could be a massive appointment.
Mourinho was with Robson for nearly a decade though, and only at united for a couple years?

I like the optomism though. One of my things is whether he has the charisma, I know he won't have Mourinho level charisma, but you can be too calculated as a manager. Fingers crossed for him.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:24 pm

…. And us 👍 :D

JohnnyB

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 pm

number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:44 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 am
number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:19 am
Here we go again. He’ll need a few leprechauns to help him turn this season around. If he fails though, it’ll be Ashton’s fault. :lol:
Personally I don’t see this as ‘turn around’ go for broke appointment. It will take him a while to establish himself and his methods and they’re may be some bumps in the road.

We may not go up this year. I hope we do but, let’s face it, the odds are against it. This appointment is about building secure systems for the future not short-term gain. What would people prefer? To scrape into the play-offs under say Warnock, go up but then limp down again under a hastily appointed new manager or go up as champions next year with sound systems in place throughout the club?
I’m joking of course. I think he’s an excellent appointment and he’s worked with and learned from top managers and organizations. I like the comments I’ve read about him training for the specific opponent. It sounds like he has a plan B before the match even starts. Once our current squad read his CV, I don’t see any reason why they won’t give him their upmost respect.
Oh yeah. Sorry read your tone wrong there.

Like you, from what I can see I don’t think they’ll be characters in the dressing room that wouldn’t support him. I think that happened the last time we had a young manager with Hurst, but that was a totally different situation.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:19 pm

JohnnyB wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:59 pm
number 9 wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:44 am
JohnnyB wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 5:18 am

Personally I don’t see this as ‘turn around’ go for broke appointment. It will take him a while to establish himself and his methods and they’re may be some bumps in the road.

We may not go up this year. I hope we do but, let’s face it, the odds are against it. This appointment is about building secure systems for the future not short-term gain. What would people prefer? To scrape into the play-offs under say Warnock, go up but then limp down again under a hastily appointed new manager or go up as champions next year with sound systems in place throughout the club?
I’m joking of course. I think he’s an excellent appointment and he’s worked with and learned from top managers and organizations. I like the comments I’ve read about him training for the specific opponent. It sounds like he has a plan B before the match even starts. Once our current squad read his CV, I don’t see any reason why they won’t give him their upmost respect.
Oh yeah. Sorry read your tone wrong there.

Like you, from what I can see I don’t think they’ll be characters in the dressing room that wouldn’t support him. I think that happened the last time we had a young manager with Hurst, but that was a totally different situation.
No worries, mate. People always get my tone wrong. :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:24 pm
Absolutely. Champions League winners 26/27

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:06 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:14 pm
Charnwood wrote:
I can’t believe how much negativity there is on ITFC Fans Social Media over the appointment of Kieran McKenna. WTF is it with some of our fans not even being prepared to give him a chance. No wonder our fans have such a shocking reputation these days, p*ss poor and totally thick judging some of the comments. I just hope they stay away for a while and let the guy find his feet before they start hounding him out.

Does anyone know if he’s involved in team selection tomorrow or is this being left with John McGreal.
Wrong BM :roll: He and Pert will be assessing who goes and who stays, they the players selected will only have one chance, show you care and player your socks off or it will be P45 time with no remission, I get so excited at these culling games having to guess who's for the chop well I know a few who are for it, just needs Mckenna to confirm, Oh happy days :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Dec 18, 2021 8:37 am

I hope the players respond in the right way today. But when you look at the stats , it’s not looking good for that new manager bounce .

Town's recent record in home games where the attendance has been 21,000+ reads: P22 W0 D8 L14.

Only at Ipswich eh!

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 am

ashfordblue wrote:
Sat Dec 18, 2021 12:06 am
Bluemike wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:14 pm
Charnwood wrote:

Wrong BM :roll: He and Pert will be assessing who goes and who stays, they the players selected will only have one chance, show you care and player your socks off or it will be P45 time with no remission, I get so excited at these culling games having to guess who's for the chop well I know a few who are for it, just needs Mckenna to confirm, Oh happy days :lol:
I was referring to team selection and tactics etc, where it has been said that will be down to McGreal for todays game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Dec 18, 2021 10:25 am

Ricco wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 10:21 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 9:24 pm
Absolutely. Champions League winners 26/27
Now you're talking.

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Dec 20, 2021 2:56 pm

Press conference today, will it be streamed? Or I assume the club will perhaps release a highlights video later?

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:36 pm

KM: We've had some initial discussions and, to be completely honest, my focus is on the players in the buildings.

I'm sure we will be active and I've handed over some recommendations for players and positions, but we have a deep and talented squad here and my focus will be on setting up the team as well as we can.

January isn't far away but we need to maximise everything between now and then.

14:25:51
Andy Warren
A bit more on playing style
KM: I have a clear idea in my head but I'm not going to go into too much detail because I don't want to give too much away to Gillingham!

I want us to be positive, dominate games and attack in a structured and aggressive way. I want to be aggressive off the ball, too.

I'd like to think I'm adaptable enough to do that to the league and players when appropriate. We won't get there overnight but I'll be looking to do some certain things from the off.

From EADT more to see.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:09 pm

I particularly like the "I want us to be aggressive off the ball too"....when has a Town side EVER been aggressive off the ball? About time , especially in this league !

Dazzz67

Post by Dazzz67 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:20 pm

Just listened to the interview on ITFC, think good to get an idea and feel for the bloke as was a little unsure about this appointment, his age mainly.

Liked what I heard, feel he is a very assured, confident gent who knows what he wants and how to do it, with him and his team of coaches (as he said one more due in imminent) think we will be in a safe hands and a good place, now have a good feeling about him. And if I am honest I feel a little worried for Gillingham, think they could be on the end of us getting our first win in a little while, and if I am honest, destroy them! lol

Hopefully everyone at PR will get behind him (for his first game) and the team on Boxing Day and create a good atmosphere, and a warm welcome, wish I could be there as think it will be a good game.

COYB!!

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:52 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:20 pm
Just listened to the interview on ITFC, think good to get an idea and feel for the bloke as was a little unsure about this appointment, his age mainly.

Liked what I heard, feel he is a very assured, confident gent who knows what he wants and how to do it, with him and his team of coaches (as he said one more due in imminent) think we will be in a safe hands and a good place, now have a good feeling about him. And if I am honest I feel a little worried for Gillingham, think they could be on the end of us getting our first win in a little while, and if I am honest, destroy them! lol

Hopefully everyone at PR will get behind him (for his first game) and the team on Boxing Day and create a good atmosphere, and a warm welcome, wish I could be there as think it will be a good game.

COYB!!
I got the same feeling. He comes across as very focused and down to earth. His answers were clear and simple...he sounds like a good communicator. Let's all hope he can have an immediate impact, but also give the man time.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:02 pm

I think we’re going to see a significant step up in effort by this squad now as they will all want to be part of this new era ( as it takes yet another twist and significant upward trajectory).

It will be interesting to see which players in this squad fall by the wayside ( I’ve got my list already formulating in my head ) , as the qualities expected as the “ norm” will now be substantially raised I feel .

I’d say NOW the Gamechanger era really begins …. COYBs 👍

Ps anyone got the link to the actual interview … I can only come up with the transcript …. Thanks x

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:03 pm

Dazzz67 wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 5:20 pm

COYB!!
Wonder if that’s likely to be Mike Phelan ?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Dec 20, 2021 6:10 pm

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Dec 20, 2021 7:12 pm

Cheers hun x

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 am

So much more pleasurable to listen to than "Squeak of a Thousand voices"

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:36 am

Yeah, listening to that interview I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic than I ever was under Cook.

Let the aggressive attacking football commence, and let's see how far up this league we can progress.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:01 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:29 am
So much more pleasurable to listen to than "Squeak of a Thousand voices"
:lol: :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 pm

rossi wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:36 am
Yeah, listening to that interview I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic than I ever was under Cook.

Let the aggressive attacking football commence, and let's see how far up this league we can progress.
It’s going to be interesting to see who wants in ( he’s already spoken to Ashton and given him his wish list of players) .

I hope he’s targeting:
A strong attacking midfielder to compliment Morsy (I don’t rate Evans).
A strong CB to partner Edmundson.
A Burns type left sided winger ( neither Edwards nor Celina deliver here).

I’d send Coulson back since he’s constantly injured , and potentially look for another left back.

We’d MUST sign Walton.
I’d try and sign Bonne ( he’ll come good again)

Big question is do we stick or twist with Norwood ? He’s coming to end of his contract . I doubt it’ll be extended , and he’s 31. BUT he does score goals even if his overalls game is limited .

The one player I think could do with extended run is Pigott: very skilful but just hasn’t got going . Can we afford to “wait” for him for the rest of this season?

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:51 pm

I can see a couple of Man Utd kids coming in on loan for sure.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:05 pm

McKenna: I’ve Got a Clear Idea On How I Want the Team to Play
Monday, 20th Dec 2021 16:01

New Blues manager Kieran McKenna says he has very strong ideas and very strong principles about how he wants football to be played but wants to be versatile when it comes to formation.

“I’ve got a really clear idea in my head, I’m not going to talk formations and in too much detail about it because we’re playing Gillingham on Boxing Day and I don’t want to give too much away at this early stage,” McKenna said at this lunchtime’s press conference.

“I’ve got a clear idea on how I want the game to be played, I want us to be positive, I want us to dominate games, I want us to play in the opposition’s half. I want us to attack in a clearly structured but well-balanced and aggressive way to create chances and score goals.

“Without the ball I want to be aggressive and win the ball back as high up the pitch as we can, so I don’t think that’s going to change too much across the leagues.

“Obviously I know it’s winter time, the pitches may be aren’t perfect across the league and things like that at this moment.

“I’d like to think that I’m adaptable enough to know that we’ll adapt where appropriate to the league and to the players.

“But I’ve got a clear idea on how I want the team to play. We won’t get there overnight but I’ll be looking to implement some principles on certain things for our style of play right from the off and I’m sure with more time to work with the players, with more time with the club to bring in players who fit the profile that I want, that we’ll be able to put a team and put a style of play on the pitch that Ipswich fans will really get behind.”

Asked about his preferred system, he said: “I’ve got very strong ideas on my principles of play and very strong ideas on how I want the team to play.

“In terms of formation, for me, especially at this stage of the season, it’s about being versatile to the strengths of the players and to what they’re comfortable with and what is going to suit the playing squad.

“I’m a big believer that style and principles are more important than formation. I think within any formation that can look differently whether you’re in possession or out of possession, whether it’s first phase or third phase of the game.

“I don’t speak to players a lot about 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or 3-5-2, I think it’s about players understanding their roles and responsibilities on the pitch, understanding what spaces we want to attack and what spaces we need to defend.

“And the principles and the style that we work to are the overriding things. Within that, the formation can be adapted according primarily to our players and what suits the playing squad that we have but also according to the opposition and how we want to hurt them and attack them in any given game.”

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:56 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:36 am

It’s going to be interesting to see who wants in ( he’s already spoken to Ashton and given him his wish list of players) .

I hope he’s targeting:
A strong attacking midfielder to compliment Morsy (I don’t rate Evans).
A strong CB to partner Edmundson.
A Burns type left sided winger ( neither Edwards nor Celina deliver here).

I’d send Coulson back since he’s constantly injured , and potentially look for another left back.

We’d MUST sign Walton.
I’d try and sign Bonne ( he’ll come good again)

Big question is do we stick or twist with Norwood ? He’s coming to end of his contract . I doubt it’ll be extended , and he’s 31. BUT he does score goals even if his overalls game is limited .

The one player I think could do with extended run is Pigott: very skilful but just hasn’t got going . Can we afford to “wait” for him for the rest of this season?
You've answered that yourself, Liz - he scores goals. It's a no-brainer for me.

OK, so people don't like him for his drink-driving. I get that partially, but in fairness the idiots that drive at night with defective lights cause as many deaths as drink drivers, yet nobody ever berates them