McKenna confirmed

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

hallamblue

Re: McKenna confirmed

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:28 pm

I don’t think Norwood could play above League One. The better defenders will outwit him.

I really really want Pigott to find his feet because he’s got a better touch and football brain . I reckon him and Bonne could forge a partnership but just not sure how we can get Pigott firing up atm.

Don’t suppose we could play all three could we in a 353 ?

Pigott…Bonne…Norwood

?….Chaplin….Evans …. Morsy…..Burns

……?….Edmundson….. Donacian

rossi

Post by rossi » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:32 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:28 pm
I don’t think Norwood could play above League One. The better defenders will outwit him.

I really really want Pigott to find his feet because he’s got a better touch and football brain . I reckon him and Bonne could forge a partnership but just not sure how we can get Pigott firing up atm.

Pigott…Bonne…Norwood

Pigott has not been given a lot of opportunity to date it's true.
However, every chance he has had he has failed to grab it. IMO he's not up to the job

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:28 pm

Pigott…Bonne…Norwood

Doubt it because we’d have 12 players or no GK.

I’d like to see Pigott come good, but, at the moment, I think Norwood’s top striker. Bonne needs to be rested, but wouldn’t mind seeing Pigott given a go next to Norwoodi in a 3-5-2. Think that suits us, but no idea what McKenna prefers to play.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:39 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:05 pm
McKenna: I’ve Got a Clear Idea On How I Want the Team to Play
Monday, 20th Dec 2021 16:01

New Blues manager Kieran McKenna says he has very strong ideas and very strong principles about how he wants football to be played but wants to be versatile when it comes to formation.

“I’ve got a really clear idea in my head, I’m not going to talk formations and in too much detail about it because we’re playing Gillingham on Boxing Day and I don’t want to give too much away at this early stage,” McKenna said at this lunchtime’s press conference.

“I’ve got a clear idea on how I want the game to be played, I want us to be positive, I want us to dominate games, I want us to play in the opposition’s half. I want us to attack in a clearly structured but well-balanced and aggressive way to create chances and score goals.

“Without the ball I want to be aggressive and win the ball back as high up the pitch as we can, so I don’t think that’s going to change too much across the leagues.

“Obviously I know it’s winter time, the pitches may be aren’t perfect across the league and things like that at this moment.

“I’d like to think that I’m adaptable enough to know that we’ll adapt where appropriate to the league and to the players.

“But I’ve got a clear idea on how I want the team to play. We won’t get there overnight but I’ll be looking to implement some principles on certain things for our style of play right from the off and I’m sure with more time to work with the players, with more time with the club to bring in players who fit the profile that I want, that we’ll be able to put a team and put a style of play on the pitch that Ipswich fans will really get behind.”

Asked about his preferred system, he said: “I’ve got very strong ideas on my principles of play and very strong ideas on how I want the team to play.

In terms of formation, for me, especially at this stage of the season, it’s about being versatile to the strengths of the players and to what they’re comfortable with and what is going to suit the playing squad.

“I’m a big believer that style and principles are more important than formation. I think within any formation that can look differently whether you’re in possession or out of possession, whether it’s first phase or third phase of the game.

“I don’t speak to players a lot about 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 or 3-5-2, I think it’s about players understanding their roles and responsibilities on the pitch, understanding what spaces we want to attack and what spaces we need to defend.

“And the principles and the style that we work to are the overriding things. Within that, the formation can be adapted according primarily to our players and what suits the playing squad that we have but also according to the opposition and how we want to hurt them and attack them in any given game.”
And that was one of the main reasons some of us wanted Cook gone from a very early stage, he was just incapable of adapting the players at his disposal to different formations, a basic requirement that this kid has pointed out already.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:49 pm

It’s probably a trait of the older more established managers perhaps? Also I don’t th8nk all of the players in that squad are his choice, but he had to try and accommodate them. But like Lambert had with 50 players lol :lol:

Because McKenna is a rookie manager per sa, I hope we are not now at the whim of Ashton, in the transfer market, and that he listens to what / who, McKenna actually wants.

Exciting times for sure, but definitely uncharted waters we are enter8mg now at this Club.

It’s about time our luck changed ….is it about to? I hope so….

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:43 pm

I know a lot has been said about the fact we sacked PC without any apparent replacement in mind, but i have to say i am very impressed reading about how we managed the whole approach to getting McKenna in place at PR.

This, from what i read, has all the hallmarks of being a Mark Ashton target/manager, when you look at history of bringing promising coaches into management! Much has been said about whether Cook was genuinely the man that our new owners wanted and i have previously given my reasons why i felt this to be so. However, it does seem pretty obvious now that PC was not Ashton's ideal first choice of manager.

There has been a fair amount of criticism of Ashton lately, a lot probably in the heat of our embarrassing cup exit against Barrow. If i displayed any cynicism towards him, i hold my hands up and say it appears that i was wrong. I like the look and sound of KM and hopefully with those initials we can go great distances with him :wink:
Only time will tell just how things will go, but if he can achieve decent things in time perhaps i will come to accept and understand PC's early dismissal. :D

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:58 pm

There’s a lot about Ashton that is clearly exceptional. My worry is does he have or know his boundaries?
Only time will tell. I agree he possibly had issues with Cook in the end, which is why he was never going to recruit an older/ established manager, because he potentially can’t control them as easily.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:13 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:58 pm
There’s a lot about Ashton that is clearly exceptional. My worry is does he have or know his boundaries?
Only time will tell. I agree he possibly had issues with Cook in the end, which is why he was never going to recruit an older/ established manager, because he potentially can’t control them as easily.
Yes, i guess only time will tell. I am just hoping he has unearthed another Brendan Rodgers type manager!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:52 pm

🤞🤞🤞

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:10 pm

Have a little look at where Bristol City were before Ashton and how they improved, I am also reading they have a far better training ground etc, add to that they signed some very good players, for me he left them in a much better state.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 pm

I think all this nitpicking about Ashton's character or style &c is just so much fluff to be honest. Football clubs are full of people with character, some good some bad, and we are not always going to agree on which is which.

Results will determine if this works and nothing else. But a positive attempt to achieve something rather than same old same old does look exciting, that's for sure.

We've had rookie managers before and some good results have ensued.......

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:23 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 6:18 pm
I think all this nitpicking about Ashton's character or style &c is just so much fluff to be honest. Football clubs are full of people with character, some good some bad, and we are not always going to agree on which is which.

Results will determine if this works and nothing else. But a positive attempt to achieve something rather than same old same old does look exciting, that's for sure.

We've had rookie managers before and some good results have ensued.......
Well said, and I completely agree. The whole conspiracy theory thing with Ashton is a load of bollocks in my opinion. We had no 'football' structure when Evans was the owner, and now we have a competent tier of individuals who know what their roles are. I seriously doubt McKenna will have to worry about being manipulated by Ashton. Even as a first time manager, McKenna's background fully qualifies him to run his own show without interference from Ashton. If you haven't listened to McKenna's interview, please do. You'll see how confident the young man is. It's refreshing to have a new face in charge even though the outcome is unknown. I can't see it being any worse than what's already happened, and McKenna seems like the real deal. COYB!

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:02 pm

Have a read here ….it’s a measured article I think by the local Bristol press.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... on-5476529

Im not trying to prove or disprove any point….but I’m just posting my unplanned concerns about him . Trust me I think he does ,
( has done) a brilliant job since he’s been here. I’m just worried about how far his control and remit goes. And that’s all I’m voicing my concerns about.

I shall no more on the topic.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:11 pm

Oh my not again 😫 let it go jeezzz.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:48 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:11 pm
I, for one, appreciated reading the article. I don't like Ashton but if he continues to do a good job for us I'll be happy. I still won't like him though! :lol:

number 9

Post by number 9 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:08 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:48 pm
mendipblue wrote:
I, for one, appreciated reading the article. I don't like Ashton but if he continues to do a good job for us I'll be happy. I still won't like him though! :lol:
Maybe it’s the beard? :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:49 am

mendipblue wrote:
No, you’re clearly the forum post/ thread police now. So I’ll probably run my posts by YOU first ….

Wouldn’t want a “ silly” post popping up would we , or for a posters integrity towards the Club to be called into question. Best to check it’s ok with YOU first .

Btw did you actually even bother to read that Bristol article ?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:22 am

Hi, yes I did read the article and found it to be typical journalism. Where they have mentioned all the positives about the guy while at BC then followed it with some negatives. It does nothing to make me think Ashton should be "sacked" as you suggested. He is a hands on CEO something this club has never had. Maybe we could talk about this again at the end of the season? You never know you may agree with me that "sacking " Ashton is ridiculous. Or if we were to be relegated for instance...I may agree with you?

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:45 pm

Read my reply to that on the sacking thread !

Edit : for the purposes of balance , I’m sure if you look through some of my posts upon hugs appointment and through the summer , you will see many many posts of support, admiration and joy at some of things he’s done since he’s been here.

I’ll reiterate again : he’s very good at what he does , but my fears are that there’s a side to him that perhaps lends himself to going beyond his job remit and I fear he might interfere with others roles. That’s all ! There’s no smoke without fire as they say …. Time will tell , and who knows maybe we will chat about Town in the pub pre-match one day … never say never .

shabba

Post by shabba » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:17 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 12:08 pm
rossi wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:36 am
Yeah, listening to that interview I'm a hell of a lot more optimistic than I ever was under Cook.

Let the aggressive attacking football commence, and let's see how far up this league we can progress.
It’s going to be interesting to see who wants in ( he’s already spoken to Ashton and given him his wish list of players) .

I hope he’s targeting:
A strong attacking midfielder to compliment Morsy (I don’t rate Evans).
A strong CB to partner Edmundson.
A Burns type left sided winger ( neither Edwards nor Celina deliver here).

I’d send Coulson back since he’s constantly injured , and potentially look for another left back.

We’d MUST sign Walton.
I’d try and sign Bonne ( he’ll come good again)

Big question is do we stick or twist with Norwood ? He’s coming to end of his contract . I doubt it’ll be extended , and he’s 31. BUT he does score goals even if his overalls game is limited .

The one player I think could do with extended run is Pigott: very skilful but just hasn’t got going . Can we afford to “wait” for him for the rest of this season?

JOHN DEERE

Post by JOHN DEERE » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:26 pm

Given recent changes at the club I am back, on a once off basis, to offer a couple of comments.

I think Cook was fired too soon. As someone else said, the fact that Burns was not playing recently had a big negative impact on our performances. Cook was an unlucky general in the last weeks of his tenure.

I share Hallamblue's view of Ashton. He is clearly good at what he does, but he seems, to me, to be a personal empire builder. It looks like Cook and Ashton did not see eye to eye and Ashton won that battle. I worry about how much influence he wants to exert on the football side of things when his role should, I think, be limited to the commercial side of things.

I am really excited by McKenna's appointment. He is young but he has over a decade of coaching experience with elite players. His interviews are very grounded and he has a clear vision of how he wants his teams to play. If his teams realise that vision, we will be exciting to watch and I can see us becoming a real force again. Ashton deserves great credit for this appointment regardless of how I view him generally.

Have a great Christmas everyone.