Sack Ashton

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Re: Sack Ashton

Post by Charnwood » Fri Dec 17, 2021 3:01 pm

I’ve not yet commented on the potential sacking of Mark Ashton because as far as I’m concerned the jury is still out. However, if it’s his vision that we go for a young dynamic up and coming super coach in preference to an old fart, time served journeyman manager, then I’m voting he stays.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Fri Dec 17, 2021 8:08 pm

I still have a bad feeling about Ashton but I have to admit I'm excited by the bold appointment of a young, dynamic manager. A gamble, but one that suggests ambition and adventure. I like that. If Ashton is the one responsible I admire the vision.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Here is a balance article by the local Bristol press.

https://www.bristolpost.co.uk/sport/foo ... on-5476529

Seems you’re damned if you do and you’re damned if you don’t.

Anyway, it’s a new era for us at Town and Ashton is pivotal to that…I just hope he doesn’t disappoint.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:08 pm

You seem obsessed in justifying what most of us find a silly thread "sack Ashton "? I personally find the bloke honest and straight forward, who wants the best for Ipswich Town fc. Something a few you could learn from.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Anyway, it’s a new era for us at Town and Ashton is pivotal to that…I just hope he doesn’t disappoint.
Interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:23 am

mendipblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:08 pm
You seem obsessed in justifying what most of us find a silly thread "sack Ashton "? I personally find the bloke honest and straight forward, who wants the best for Ipswich Town fc. Something a few you could learn from.
Just a topic of conversation mendipblue , no different than if we’d been stood in a pub talking about it …. There’s much been written about it from Bristol to Suffolk , so by your definition then a lot of obsession going on far and wide about him and not as you’d have it be believed, solely down to me!

I’m not defending myself or obsessed by it mate .,,. Heard of freedom of speech and the concept of debate , discussion , opinion. All the things that make forums what they are ??

And who the f*ck do you think you are, lecturing me,( or anyone else on here for that matter) about “wanting the best for Ipswich Town” ?

You know NOTHING about me or my association with this club. I posted this thread on the back of a knee jerk sacking (in MY opinion) with no obvious replacements lined up or even considered ( NOT my opinion - but from Ashtons own mouth ) … the games that ensued on the back of his action to sack the manager are down to him.

So get off your “ silly” high horse. You find him “honest and straight forward” ok , great, bully for you.

Some of us are just little nervous. Maybe things are not as straight forward as it may appear …. If that’s ok with YOU, mate????

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:30 am

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 10:35 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:56 pm

Interesting read. Thanks for posting it.
You’re very welcome MF …

…. and just so mendiblue is clear , the article was NOT written by me or any member of my family, nor as I’d understand it taken from a Bristol fans forum . It’s a balanced view of the man in question as I see it. Had I been looking fo conspiracy theories etc I’d hardly have posted it would I ?

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:25 pm

But you do want him sacked? I honestly never thought you or anybody in your family wrote the artical......That's obvious 👍

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:43 pm

I was very annoyed with the manner of Cooks sacking , and the complete apparent meltdown of the team in the following games after that - given that he had no one else in mind as a replacement. And in the heat of the moment ( we all have them ), I posted sack Ashton ( for his ridiculous action which appeared knee jerk to me) … so yes, on that night , I really did want Ashton to sod off . I’ve had enough groundhog days at this Club over the last 20yrs !

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 pm

It's funny how we all see things differently, I still see Ashton as far and away the best signing we have made and regarding your concerns over Ashton, IF they prove to be correct I see it as a positive as we need a leader like this, hands on, cutthroat and with his finger very firmly on the pulse if action needs to be taken, we have not been proactive like this for years and its needed, I just don't accept he meddles in team affairs or decides who we sign, there is zero evidence of that, maybe if he had meddled in team selection Cook wouldn't have f*cked it up so badly lol.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:16 pm

Mike , what are you views on Norwood and his comments immediately after Cook was sacked? If he was saying it was out of Cooks hands re his involvement in the team, then who is he pointing the finger at? Ashton then makes a counter comment 24 hrs later. What’s all that about? I don’t think things were/ are all honky dory behind the scenes ( but this hopefully will change now under McKenna/ Pert). But even when Norwood scores goals atm he’s not exactly celebrating is he? So somethings not right.

I’m not trying to stir anything up, not even laying it specifically at Ashton’s door. As Ive said I’m just asking the questions, that’s all.

…and for the record I want Ashton to succeed here too…. I’m just a bit wary ( mainly coz I’m so afraid of it being yet another false dawn). As they say, it’s the hope that kills you.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:33 pm

Liz, if Ashton decided Norwood was done here then why has it changed now ? That makes no sense, to me it confirms 100% that it was Cook who had the issue with Norwood, it can't really be anything else surely ? FWIW I wouldn't believe anything Norwood says anyway.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 5:35 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:16 pm
Mike , what are you views on Norwood and his comments immediately after Cook was sacked? If he was saying it was out of Cooks hands re his involvement in the team, then who is he pointing the finger at? Ashton then makes a counter comment 24 hrs later. What’s all that about? I don’t think things were/ are all honky dory behind the scenes ( but this hopefully will change now under McKenna/ Pert). But even when Norwood scores goals atm he’s not exactly celebrating is he? So somethings not right.

I’m not trying to stir anything up, not even laying it specifically at Ashton’s door. As Ive said I’m just asking the questions, that’s all.

…and for the record I want Ashton to succeed here too…. I’m just a bit wary ( mainly coz I’m so afraid of it being yet another false dawn). As they say, it’s the hope that kills you.
Sorry to jump in on your converstaion with BM, but the American owners could easily have demanded some kind of suspension for Norwood's behaviour.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:24 pm

No problem at all number 9. More the merrier as far as I’m concerned.

Yes I suppose that’s a possibility. But why is the player now allowed to play? And Norwood doesn’t look happy at all. None of it makes any sense to me .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:33 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 4:33 pm
Liz, if Ashton decided Norwood was done here then why has it changed now ? That makes no sense, to me it confirms 100% that it was Cook who had the issue with Norwood, it can't really be anything else surely ? FWIW I wouldn't believe anything Norwood says anyway.
Lol I’ve just asked the same question below….. I’m not laying this at Ashton’s door, I’ve said that. Initially I thought well if it’s not Cook, then it must be him,as who else is in touch with the players on a daily basis ? I honestly don’t know 🤷‍♀️. But I’m asking why are these things going on . Who is making these decisions, if ( according to the player it wasn’t Cook, and Ashton has more or less indicated it wasn’t him). It’s not very transparent is it? And Norwood ‘s body language is a flat as a pancake. So something is going on. If as Number 9 suggests it’s might be the owners, well if so, why is he now playing again?

It’s no conspiracy…it’s actually happening and The element of trust I had, is very much strained right now.

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:39 pm

The Norwood saga only makes sense if Cook was responsible for him not playing. I agree with Mike. Norwood must have been wrong about Cook. It can't have been the owners because he is now back playing. For the same reason it can't have been Ashton. It must have been Cook.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 pm

MasseyFerguson wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 9:39 pm
The Norwood saga only makes sense if Cook was responsible for him not playing. I agree with Mike. Norwood must have been wrong about Cook. It can't have been the owners because he is now back playing. For the same reason it can't have been Ashton. It must have been Cook.
Well that’s a good point, but Norwood may have been temporarily suspended…maybe an in-house punishment in which case we’ll probably never know for sure who the instigators were. Of course, the good thing now is Norwood is back to scoring goals and as such should be in the starting line up…at least until we sell him in January. :|

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:16 am

I wouldn't be surprised if the owners were involved in Norwood's exclusion and in can be that McGreal argued for his reinclusion after he took the reins. Maybe the owners felt that he had served his punishment adequately.

All speculation of course.....

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Fri Dec 24, 2021 9:21 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 7:16 am
I wouldn't be surprised if the owners were involved in Norwood's exclusion and in can be that McGreal argued for his reinclusion after he took the reins. Maybe the owners felt that he had served his punishment adequately.

All speculation of course.....
Yes, it’s all speculation.

Norwood did come out and say Cook’s hands were tied. Would have thought that would have pissed Ashton and the owners off and made his exit more likely. But it had the reverse effect. Could well be they played it smartly by bringing him back and dampening down any rumours of behind the scenes disagreements. He’s been punished and it’s a new era - so why not give him a clean slate?
If he’d been kept in the cold then there’d still be rumblings, rumours and tensions behind the scenes and don’t think we need that. Norwood doesn’t seem to be the bad influence that many make out if you’d see Bonne’s last interview. Time to move on.

barmy billy

Post by barmy billy » Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:56 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
Well that’s a good point, but Norwood may have been temporarily suspended…maybe an in-house punishment in which case we’ll probably never know for sure who the instigators were. Of course, the good thing now is Norwood is back to scoring goals and as such should be in the starting line up…at least until we sell him in January. :|
I sincerely hope they don't sell him. He's going to be our top scorer by far, given the chance.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Fri Dec 24, 2021 7:05 pm

barmy billy wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 5:56 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 10:17 pm
MasseyFerguson wrote:
I sincerely hope they don't sell him. He's going to be our top scorer by far, given the chance.
Yes, I hope we keep him too BB.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:26 am

Other than Bonne this season he hasn't had much in the way of competition. Aluko, Jackson and Pigott hardly register and while Chaplin does find goal every now and again not one of them can be labeled prolific. Norwood has scored a small number just recent but seems to have largely disappointed before it. Either he's been laid off by injury or off-field events have taken precedence. The team isn't around 12th position in the League for no reason.

If and when Bonne gets recalled from Loan in the New Year it's going to leave a real void despite falling away in recent weeks from his form before it. Say Norwood was to leave also, going to be tough to see where certain goals will arrive from.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:14 am

saint jude wrote:
Sat Dec 25, 2021 2:26 am
Other than Bonne this season he hasn't had much in the way of competition. Aluko, Jackson and Pigott hardly register and while Chaplin does find goal every now and again not one of them can be labeled prolific. Norwood has scored a small number just recent but seems to have largely disappointed before it. Either he's been laid off by injury or off-field events have taken precedence. The team isn't around 12th position in the League for no reason.

If and when Bonne gets recalled from Loan in the New Year it's going to leave a real void despite falling away in recent weeks from his form before it. Say Norwood was to leave also, going to be tough to see where certain goals will arrive from.
There's talk of a move to Pompey in the Jan window for Norwood :roll: BUT it's just supposition that could be fact, Mckenna has at least 4 players he wants to bring in and one is Dylan Levitt from Man U a midfielder a very good player indeed, plus others as I say.

Roll on the Jan window

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:13 pm

Where have you got this info on Man Utd player AB ? Are you a closet Manure fan lol !!

He’s currently on a season loan to Dundee Utd…

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/f ... -trafford/

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Dec 26, 2021 1:38 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 12:13 pm
Where have you got this info on Man Utd player AB ? Are you a closet Manure fan lol !!

He’s currently on a season loan to Dundee Utd…

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/f ... -trafford/
Too much Mulled Wine.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:11 pm

Nope. What you mean coz he’s at Dundee or coz we’d not stand any chance of getting him anyway? Lol

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:06 am

I meant Ash has had too much lol

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:36 pm

I'm sure he can be recalled in January to Man U, and he's certainly on McKenna's portfolio to bring in, and as stated at least another 3 to 4 players will be arriving here.

And no Liz I'm not a Man U closet fan :lol: :lol: I just have other contacts that tell me a few things that could be happening.

Hope you Liz and Mike had a good Christmas, and also hope you're getting better Mike during your convalescent time :D also, when is the Jock mad dog Marko due back on site, ???? missing his banter :cry:

And yes Mike it was my 5th pint of Guinness when I wrote about Dylan Levitt 😜 the lads got a great vision and I can see why Mckenna's interested in bringing him here.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:42 pm

Bristol City make 38.4 million pound losses during 2020/21.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/59797491

Ashton knows when to desert a sinking ship. Let’s hope he wasn’t responsible for that. Maybe he secretly siphoned some of that to an off-shore Gamechanger account.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 29, 2021 8:00 pm

Might have been 100 Million without him there