League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ok, this time, first of a new Era

Ipswich Win
71%
Wycombe Win
7%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

hallamblue

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:43 pm
Never in doubt ;-)
Not in your house maybe …. Here …., !!!

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:44 pm

How on earth did Morsy and Chaplin not score between them !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:44 pm

Don’t think anyone is in our seats Mike 👍

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Good win but how did Chaplin not score at the end?!!

MasseyFerguson

Post by MasseyFerguson » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:45 pm

Three points! Never under any pressure really. I thought we were a little complacent in the second half. Great foundation for McKenna to build on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:49 pm

I agree, Wycombe huffed and puffed but nothing much for Hladky to save apart from one at the end, a clean sheet is a good start. Morsy is class for me. God knows how we didn't score a second goal but good start for McKenna to build on.

mendipblue

Post by mendipblue » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:50 pm

What was pleasing about that victory I thought we defended much more solid. Burns was to deep for me his talent is needed further forward. Norwood does what he does and scores whether he celebrates or not dont give a sh*t. Woolfenden is far better than Niasla or Burgess all day long.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:52 pm

Well deserved win. They were top 5 before tonight. We outfought them. Keep Nors and Bonne up top - they can create havoc in any defence

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:01 pm

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:50 pm
What was pleasing about that victory I thought we defended much more solid. Burns was to deep for me his talent is needed further forward. Norwood does what he does and scores whether he celebrates or not dont give a sh*t. Woolfenden is far better than Niasla or Burgess all day long.
I wonder if Woolfies position is as a sweeper...do teams play sweepers these days ?t

as for Norwood. I thought he played well tonight , BUT its nit about celebrating his goals its about his body language after hes scored . It frankly pisses me off, becaus i t comes across as two fingers up ...to whom, Im not sure.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:09 pm

Yep, give him a broom lol. I just don't rate him, he did ok second half today but always an error in him. Still let's be positive tonight, we won, clean sheet, Three points and deserved to win .

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:14 pm

well theyre raving about him on twtd ...and unusual event there....

I thought he did well thought most of the game. KmcK clearly views him as a ball playing centre half...blimey he even had him taking the ball well into the opponents half...un heard of under previous managers , and tbf he looked very comfortable on the ball.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:25 pm

Although no fixtures can be taken for granted in this league our run of games throughout January and February give Kieron McKenna a huge opportunity to put a string of results together and get our season back on track and in the hunt for a play off place. Just think what a boost in confidence this would give both players and fans.

Don’t write our season off yet everyone.

patthegimp

Post by patthegimp » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:27 pm

Beckenbaueresque😁😁

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:04 am

mendipblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:50 pm
Agree with that when he has the excellent Edmundsen beside him. I think theirs is definitely ba partnership worth investing time in.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 am

We were Ok tonight but no more than that. I kind of feel like its time to limp into January and then make changes. Some of our defending was schoolboy at best. We can do great things but then totally stupid things. Now - Woolfenden... he was not the messiah tonight - he was a liability (as usual). I disagree with mendipblue cos I would have Burgess in there all day long and not even have woolfie in the squad xos he has that one lapse of concentration EVERY game - tonight was no different. I am sure someone (out player) handled it before it came to Norwood to score too. If Wycombe could shoot, it would have been 1-1 or 1-2 with ease. Still -'anwim is a win and I left the ground happy with it. We need a new defence (except Edmundson) in January...

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:25 am

I also thought that Burns was played deeper and more defensively tonight - we need him higher up and taking on defenders so that was a tactical issue imo.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:37 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:15 am
We were Ok tonight but no more than that. I kind of feel like its time to limp into January and then make changes. Some of our defending was schoolboy at best. We can do great things but then totally stupid things. Now - Woolfenden... he was not the messiah tonight - he was a liability (as usual). I disagree with mendipblue cos I would have Burgess in there all day long and not even have woolfie in the squad xos he has that one lapse of concentration EVERY game - tonight was no different. I am sure someone (out player) handled it before it came to Norwood to score too. If Wycombe could shoot, it would have been 1-1 or 1-2 with ease. Still -'anwim is a win and I left the ground happy with it. We need a new defence (except Edmundson) in January...
What do you think about Donacian? I quite like him , but agree , our defence is not the best abc I can see changes being made there at some point . Probably in the summer. Not sure we’d get what we really want in Jan window , but we’ll see .

number 9

Post by number 9 » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:39 am

Charnwood wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:25 pm
Although no fixtures can be taken for granted in this league our run of games throughout January and February give Kieron McKenna a huge opportunity to put a string of results together and get our season back on track and in the hunt for a play off place. Just think what a boost in confidence this would give both players and fans.

Don’t write our season off yet everyone.
No pressure! :lol:

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:47 am

Blue Wilf wrote:
Absolutely spot on and I think the defence will indeed be strengthened very soon.

Blue Wilf

Post by Blue Wilf » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:22 am

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:37 am
Blue Wilf wrote:
What do you think about Donacian? I quite like him , but agree , our defence is not the best abc I can see changes being made there at some point . Probably in the summer. Not sure we’d get what we really want in Jan window , but we’ll see .
Simply put, Donacien is average - even at this level. He has OK days but would you bet the farm on him performing week in/week out? Its a no from me. I think McKenna had little option but to go with that side last night (and maybe the next few games) but I would be hugely surprised if there are not at least 2 new defenders in during the window.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:31 am

I was impressed with how well drilled the team looked last night. Everyone seemed to know what they were doing. Penney hasn't been mentioned yet but he had a great game too, Evans the same - had a tidy game. Doesn't get noticed but quietly gets on with business.

Great to see Norwood & Bonne mixing it up but can't help thinking that they are the same type of player, maybe we need more variety up top.

Maybe with quality coaching some of these players can be better than we thought...

Also if Morsy plays right to Pigott at the end it's guaranteed goal but we didn't need it.

Great game, great to watch, good noise most of the time. All positive for me. If we can give the same kind of performance against Lincoln then we are up and running.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:00 am

I thought it was a very workmanlike performance played with more energy than some of the players have given recently. I know we played deeper than some liked especially our Mick Mills in commentary, however for me it was the deeper play by Burns & Morsy in particular that contributed massively to the clean sheet and 3 points earned.

It was also enjoyable to watch and should encourage many of the extra fans to buy tickets for forthcoming games.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:09 am

I can see why Woolfenden is getting a bit of attention because he stepped out of defence impressively a couple of times, but when it comes to the defending side, I’m not too sure. They missed a sitter from a corner when Woolfenden failed to get his head to the ball when he was unchallenged. Prefer him doing the simple things right first and foremost.

Wycombe did seem to allow our CB’s to bring the ball out, but other teams will work that one out.

Interesting to see Evans be the deep midfielder and Morsy the one making the forward runs. Just wish that Morsy could finish better. Pity he didn’t square to Pigott at the end as Pigott needs a goal. Feel a bit sorry for Pigott. Just not happening for him.

JamessB

Post by JamessB » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:18 am

We definitely looked a bit more organised, I thought there were a few occasions where we got ourselves into decent offensive positions but then the movement and positional play was a bit poor so the ball ended up going backwards or sideways but definitely improvement overall

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:33 am

hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:41 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 pm
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:32 pm
Wonderful NON celebration by Norwood yet again - miserable b*stard!
He’s working hard. Scored. How much punishment do you want to give him?
Do you think he looks remotely happy that he’s just scored do you ?? FfS it’s nothing to do with giving him punishment…. Does he want to be a Town player ? Absolutely f*ck all celebration when he put that in the net ZERO reaction . That good is it ? He’s done that for every single goal he’s scored . He’s Having a massive sulk by the looks of it
He does seem to be smiling. He’s working hard, not sulking. If he’s taken steps to tone down certain things - even celebrations- and just get his head down and play for the team, he’ll do for me. He knows he’s not a fan favourite like Bonne so maybe it’s best at the moment to be low key.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:00 am

At least last nights result gives us something to build on and will be a confidence booster to the players and to Kieron McKenna having won his first match as a manager.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:11 am

Charnwood wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:00 am
I thought it was a very workmanlike performance played with more energy than some of the players have given recently. I know we played deeper than some liked especially our Mick Mills in commentary, however for me it was the deeper play by Burns & Morsy in particular that contributed massively to the clean sheet and 3 points earned.

It was also enjoyable to watch and should encourage many of the extra fans to buy tickets for forthcoming games.
Absolutely bang on.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:22 am

According to this report we were flipping between 343 in possession and then 541 out of possession, very cute if true and as McKenna stated earlier, “ flexible”

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... -0-8591774

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:25 am

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:33 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:41 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 pm

He’s working hard. Scored. How much punishment do you want to give him?
Do you think he looks remotely happy that he’s just scored do you ?? FfS it’s nothing to do with giving him punishment…. Does he want to be a Town player ? Absolutely f*ck all celebration when he put that in the net ZERO reaction . That good is it ? He’s done that for every single goal he’s scored . He’s Having a massive sulk by the looks of it
He does seem to be smiling. He’s working hard, not sulking. If he’s taken steps to tone down certain things - even celebrations- and just get his head down and play for the team, he’ll do for me. He knows he’s not a fan favourite like Bonne so maybe it’s best at the moment to be low key.
If he continues as he is currently doing , it’ll do for me too.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:52 am

Watched it on iFollow, hard game to take your eyes off as it felt quite intense.

I felt we did well, naturally they got stronger as it got towards the end but we had chances to kill it in the last ten minutes.

I really like this 3-5-2 as it suits us, Aluko was great and I was sad to see him go off, he doesn’t give the ball away cheaply too often and links the play nicely, agree with the comment about burns being a bit restricted by their LB.

Great result as wins is what we need now. Nice to see us looking more solid - I just wish with 2 strikers on the pitch we would just get more crosses in as when we did that we caused them a lot of trouble.

The pressing in the first half from both teams was good.

Really hope we can get a run of results now with these easier looking fixtures ahead. I think with teams that sit back we can really push our wing backs up, and it was also encouraging to see players from the back line stepping forward with the ball.