League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Ok, this time, first of a new Era

Ipswich Win
71%
Wycombe Win
7%
Draw
21%

Total votes: 14

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Re: League 1 - Ipswich Town vs Wycombe Wanderers Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Bluemike » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:02 pm

I too like the 3-5-2 which we started the game with, what I like more is we chopped and changed it and played at least Three different formations throughout the game, that's what management is about, not sticking to the same damn thing every game for 95 minutes.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:07 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 9:33 am
hallamblue wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:41 pm
tangfastic wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 9:37 pm

He’s working hard. Scored. How much punishment do you want to give him?
Do you think he looks remotely happy that he’s just scored do you ?? FfS it’s nothing to do with giving him punishment…. Does he want to be a Town player ? Absolutely f*ck all celebration when he put that in the net ZERO reaction . That good is it ? He’s done that for every single goal he’s scored . He’s Having a massive sulk by the looks of it
He does seem to be smiling. He’s working hard, not sulking. If he’s taken steps to tone down certain things - even celebrations- and just get his head down and play for the team, he’ll do for me. He knows he’s not a fan favourite like Bonne so maybe it’s best at the moment to be low key.
After his unsavoury off the field headlines, i cannot say i blame him keeping his celebrations low key. There would be certain elements who would view any OTT goal celebration as him being removed from reality. Hopefully he should need no telling that he has been very silly individual and he just wants to keep his head down and play with a level of humility.
To last night's game, i felt Norwood put in a MOTM display, not letting the opposition to settle, positioning was good with getting back to a more defensive formation when out of possession (as was Burns) and as Charnie mentioned these two were key in contributing towards a clean sheet as well as allowing space for defenders to push forward.
First game complete against very difficult opposition and while there are areas to improve on, it certainly bodes well for the future. As for Wolfie, all the media and commentators seem to speak very highly of his performance. Perhaps with a run in the squad and a manager who can improve him he can get back to the early levels of promise he once showed.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:27 pm

As always AM… a lovely , well balanced post . Thank you so much for this. It’s helped focus my impression of Norwood .

As for rest of squad , I hope the decent coaching will bring out the best in all the players . I already like the way KMc is applying himself to a big step up for him I’m sure .

Exciting days ahead 🤞

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR 🥳 to all Tractor Boys / Girls on here . Here’s hoping ( praying?) for better times in the World in 2022 !
Last edited by hallamblue on Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:50 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 12:27 pm
As always AM… a lovely , well balanced post . Thank you so much for this. It’s helped focus my impression of Norwood .

As for rest of squad , I hope the decent coaching will bring out the best in all the players . I already like the way KMc is applying himself to a big step up for him I’m sure .

Exciting days ahead 🤞

Oh, and HAPPY NEW YEAR 🥳 to all Tractor Boys / Girls on here . Here’s hoping ( praying?) for better times in the World in 2023 !
hallam
I know time goes quick but where did 2022 go? :lol: :lol:

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:06 pm

Ha ha … I’m no good at typing on my phone !!! I’ll amend

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:08 am

We won but the goal will win no seasonal award. Cross came in and Norwood deflected it in from a yard out. Still a goal's a goal and McKenna got the win on his first official game in charge. This too against a top six opposition and the team kept a clean sheet, you can't really dispute. One report read says we started 4-2-3-1, while another stated it were a 4-3-3 to begin with. The latter were a more reliable source for information so went with it.

26,000 crowd is highly commendable, the special attendance offer guess wasn't implemented this time, so to pull in that size crowd deserves it's own merit. Seen highlights, read various reaction and maybe Wycombe could or should have left with a point, or we could have indeed won by a bigger margin, all reports suggest a workmanlike team effort and the players wanted to go out a provide the manager with the victory to start things off.

Don't view League standings too often as believe promotion even now may be beyond us or too far to hope for but if the team can rack up victories at Portman Road at least and pull in some big number crowds with it, we'll be in with a chance.