Kieran McKenna's 1st Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Kieran McKenna's 1st Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:04 pm

Come on people start the nonsense

Tangfastic

Re: Kieran McKenna's 1st Transfer Window Rumour Thread

Post by Tangfastic » Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:45 pm

Who’s leaving this window?

Holy
Kenlock
Nolan
Jackson
Barry

I do wonder if Toto will fit in (not the best on the ball) and to bring a CB in we’d probably have to offload one. Could be Toto’s the one to make way.

Coulsen? Never fit - can we cut his loan spell short and bring in a fit LWB?

Where does Celina fit in? If he’s a number 10 - will we play with a number 10? Both potential match-winner and anonymous lightweight luxury player. Prefer Aluko and/or Chaplin to him as their all-round games are better. Offloading him as an expensive loan could mean we can afford to bring in another LWB and / or CB. I can see Celina being a bench player if he stays here. The likelihood of us going up is much more slim than good - so do we need an expensive loan signing who won’t be here next season?

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:34 pm

I think he'll focus on defensive reinforcements. I can see at least one ManU loan coming in. I'm not sure we'll see much permanent transfer activity...yet.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:01 pm

I'm with you no.9. He has a pretty good squad already assembled and I believe we saw against Wycombe what can be achieved by top class coaching, even if only in patches.

Maybe a couple of loans to go back (Barry? Coulsen?) with a replacement for Coulsen and that might be all.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:24 pm

tangfastic wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 1:45 pm
Who’s leaving this window?

Holy
Kenlock
Nolan
Jackson
Barry

I do wonder if Toto will fit in (not the best on the ball) and to bring a CB in we’d probably have to offload one. Could be Toto’s the one to make way.

Coulsen? Never fit - can we cut his loan spell short and bring in a fit LWB?

Where does Celina fit in? If he’s a number 10 - will we play with a number 10? Both potential match-winner and anonymous lightweight luxury player. Prefer Aluko and/or Chaplin to him as their all-round games are better. Offloading him as an expensive loan could mean we can afford to bring in another LWB and / or CB. I can see Celina being a bench player if he stays here. The likelihood of us going up is much more slim than good - so do we need an expensive loan signing who won’t be here next season?
Agree with all of those names to depart including Coulsen and Celina, however I don't think Toto will be moved on. I also think Rekeem Harper may be surplus to requirements, he just hasn't taken off here at all.

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:57 am

Agree with all comments, we need a better LWB and maybe a CB.

I’d say the only players who are must keeps are

Walton
Edmundson
Burns
Morsey

Then the nice to keeps are

Aluko
Chaplin
Bonne
Norwood
Donacian

There is also a list IMO which could improve well with the right coaching

Wolfie
Edward’s
Harper

Generally speaking I expect to see the outer fringe players go like listed earlier by others but the ones who have been in the mix /cup games may be given until the end of the season to be evaluated. We are a little bloated but I don’t expect more than 2 players to arrive in Jan.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:40 pm

I cant see Ashton or Mckenna letting Celina go, mainly because once McKenna gets the players in he wants to get them playing a better quality attacking game is when Celina will play more to his liking.

But I agree with the selection of players going it will probably be more than 6 but at least 3 or 4 new players coming in

shabba

Post by shabba » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:24 pm

True and if he goes 433 I could see Celina doing well on the left of a front three.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sun Jan 02, 2022 10:12 pm

And the laziest

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Mon Jan 03, 2022 1:41 am

We brought in what 20 new players during the summer and now looking to offload, maybe getting too old to comprehend certain things but understand some of the dead wood from before may be surplus to requirement.

I look through the team and (try to) identify certain names we don't need or would be better used elsewhere and straight away players like Jackson, Pigott and Aluko come to the fore. Won't be to everyone's liking or viewpoint but just an individual perspective. Bonne should be recalled by QPR any time now and Norwood (whether you take to him or not) has made an impact in recent weeks so should surely stay. Chaplin can go unnoticed during a run of fixtures but guess many wouldn't wish to see that one departure.

Holy if still here can really leave once and for all but Walton needs to remain. Hladky has his doubters but somehow wouldn't wish to force out at the next window. Goalkeepers are sometimes hard to bring in so Vaclav provides that extra cover while he can.

Lee Evans is another that somehow doesn't seem to figure. Scored three in one game seem to remember but has done little beside it. There's a whole range of other names such as El Mouzini, Vincent Young and Burns you could question but don't always get to see the team in action to provide sufficient judgment. All I know is we got a very substantial squad in terms of size from which to pick from. Obviously some are going towards the departure door but it's selecting which ones above others that can often prove troublesome.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:11 am

Aluko has been our best player in a few matches. I’d definitely keep him around even if he’s just a bench player. Celina should most certainly be kept on the books, sorry BM I don’t think you’re seeing the value he has as an impact player.

The only defender I’d commit to is Edmundson; the rest should be back ups at best. Donacien is too slow, Nsiala too indecisive, Burgess a let down, Penney is weak and Woolfy is not a defender.

Norwood has to stay, Pigott can go, I’d like to see Bonne stay, Burns stays, Chaplin stays.

We probably need another goalie too to be honest.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:59 am

shabba wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:24 pm
True and if he goes 433 I could see Celina doing well on the left of a front three.
It’s early days and we’re not sure exactly how McKenna will eventually line up. Based on the Wycombe game, Norwood lined up as the left sided one in the front three. I’d stick with that as we need that extra muscle up front. Aluko’s been playing very well and doesn’t deserve to be dropped for Celina, too. It’s League One and we need players to put shifts in every game - not do the odd bit of magic every 3-4 games. Celina will be a major part of the season’ highlight reel, but that won’t show all the times he gets out-muscled or gives the ball away. He’s an x-factor bench player, for me, who can come on and do something special if we need it. But if he’s our marquee player - then he should be the first name on the team sheet. He’s not… Morsy, Edmundson, Walton, Burns, Aluko, Bonne…. and maybe now Norwood ….are more important to the team. I’ve heard fans saying we really missed Burns and I think that’s true, but I’ve never heard one fan say we missed Celina. He never dictates games, but shows up every once in a while.
I’d really like to think McKenna will add better coaching to the squad and make us more of a team with all moving parts working together but not really sure Celina has the discipline and work ethic to be part of that.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:11 am

Celina’s a bit like Dozzell, just not suited to the rough hairy arsed games that is league one , but had class and silky skills that would shine in the championship ( and above).

It’s as Ashton has said , the squad Names are on his wall, like a chess board. When they want a new player in to make the squad better , they are looking to see who can be moved out. One in , one out. We’re at the limit wages % of turnover so I’d almost expect more to be moved out than in.

I’d agree with all of tangs list, but I’d add Toto to that . He hasn’t got the skills required if the “ new” defence that’s going to be built .

I’d also say Fraser is likely to be moved on mainly because there’s reported Swansea interest. That’s another likely high earner off the payroll.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:18 am

tangfastic wrote:
Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:59 am
shabba wrote:
Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:24 pm
It’s early days and we’re not sure exactly how McKenna will eventually line up. Based on the Wycombe game, Norwood lined up as the left sided one in the front three. I’d stick with that as we need that extra muscle up front. Aluko’s been playing very well and doesn’t deserve to be dropped for Celina, too. It’s League One and we need players to put shifts in every game - not do the odd bit of magic every 3-4 games. Celina will be a major part of the season’ highlight reel, but that won’t show all the times he gets out-muscled or gives the ball away. He’s an x-factor bench player, for me, who can come on and do something special if we need it. But if he’s our marquee player - then he should be the first name on the team sheet. He’s not… Morsy, Edmundson, Walton, Burns, Aluko, Bonne…. and maybe now Norwood ….are more important to the team. I’ve heard fans saying we really missed Burns and I think that’s true, but I’ve never heard one fan say we missed Celina. He never dictates games, but shows up every once in a while.
I’d really like to think McKenna will add better coaching to the squad and make us more of a team with all moving parts working together but not really sure Celina has the discipline and work ethic to be part of that.
Exactly this, word perfect.

Dubai Blue

Post by Dubai Blue » Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:55 am

Well KM has stated that he's excited to be working with Celina once he's back fit, that doesn't tell me that he's about to be moved on.

It could be that players like Celina will show us just how good (or otherwise) our new coaching setup is. I don't believe that any of our players has got to where they are without showing a desire to constantly improve. We can all see where Celina can improve his, maybe the coaches will be able to help him achieve this and be an even better player. The same could be said of one or two others.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:13 pm

For those who didn't know:

There is a 5 Loan Limit, so as some have said someone on loan will have to leave to be replaced. It looks like Barry is a definite recall, a few others are possibilities at the moment.

1. Walton
2. Coulson
3. Barry
4. Bonne
5. Celina

EADT Possible loan targets:

https://www.eadt.co.uk/sport/ipswich-to ... ry-8595096

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:36 pm

I would be offloading Barry, Coulsen and Celina if I'm honest, the first Two have contributed little for differing reasons.

Some promising looking talent in that list, I really like the look/sound of Lyons-Foster from Spurs.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:11 pm

Absolutely pointless loan to my mind. He clearly wasn’t good enough to force his way into the team with the likes of Celina, Chaplin and Fraser all ahead of him. Suspect he was on fairly high wage too.

That’s one off the, “ out the door” list then. 👍

shabba

Post by shabba » Mon Jan 03, 2022 7:13 pm

I’d really Hope we don’t go down the loan route, developing players for other teams when we have a big squad here along with some good youngsters.

Different if we had a tight budget and holes in the squad but I don’t see that as the case here. I’d rather see some smart recruitment in line with the Brentford model or such.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:11 am

Don't recall Barry scoring for the team in his time here, guessing he didn't feature all too often. Was always up against it in terms of selection order when you take into consideration all other forward names we got available. Maybe he did get a game here and there or play at some stage of proceedings but seems a bit of a waste (now) bringing him on board to even begin with.

Jackson would do well to follow out the exit. Seems unfair to castigate the same names time and again but just fail often to see what certain names bring to the party. Wonder sometimes how much money is readily available to use on future transfers. Evans was notorious for lack of funding the squad, would like to imagine the Game Changer Group would be a touch more free with investment. Probably some gems out there in lower league if you know where to look although the club will have scouts for that purpose. Bringing in an additional striker if some of the dead wood can go would be useful although to be fair, not entirely imperative.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:56 am

Offloading wages as well as players who are not making an impact is probably a variable being considered. I doubt we’ll bring many players in , and the Jan window is often not the best time to negotiate an actual transfer of players we don’t know . Bonne and Walton will be expensive to sign permanently but we have little choice if we want to keep them.

Glad I don’t have to make those decisions lol !!

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:06 pm

hallamblue wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:56 am
Offloading wages as well as players who are not making an impact is probably a variable being considered. I doubt we’ll bring many players in , and the Jan window is often not the best time to negotiate an actual transfer of players we don’t know . Bonne and Walton will be expensive to sign permanently but we have little choice if we want to keep them.

Glad I don’t have to make those decisions lol !!
Walton would be free in the summer is he is out of contact I think. Still his wages are likely expensive.
He may get recalled and they may try and get a nominal fee from a club to let him go this month but the power is with the player given his contract situation.

Not sure if he would want to stay with us if he gets a decent championship offer.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:32 pm

I hope we do too but I get this horrible feeling

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:49 pm

This is why Jan is a rubbish time to try and sign anyone permanently. All the cards a4e stacked in Brighton’s favour aren’t they. But I still reckon we’ll sign him …. 👍 :D

Kerry Blue

Post by Kerry Blue » Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:04 pm

We certainly need Walton and let's hope we get him, can he because he is out of contract at the season end say to Brighton I'm not signing for anyone else I'll be joining Ipswich either now or on a free in the summer?.

shabba

Post by shabba » Tue Jan 04, 2022 8:40 pm

Kerry Blue wrote:
Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:04 pm
We certainly need Walton and let's hope we get him, can he because he is out of contract at the season end say to Brighton I'm not signing for anyone else I'll be joining Ipswich either now or on a free in the summer?.
Exactly - providing nobody else is interested though, which is the big one.

Otherwise you could say to Walton - well either give Brighton 100k now or sign you for free in the summer and give you 70k signing bonus etc, problem is if we don’t sign him but manage to keep him on loan and he continues to do well then in the summer he may have even more options elsewhere. Very tricky these ones and it’s kind of why you want to add in a set optional buy fee when you loan a player.

Tangfastic

Post by Tangfastic » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:15 am

I would have thought Walton would want reassurance that he’d be a number 1 GK. He’s had his time being a loan GK and back-up GK and you’d think he’d d have enough of that. If Championship clubs are coming in for him - would he be guaranteed the number 1 shirt? Maybe that’s the advantage we have - he’s established here and hands-down first-choice keeper.
Assuming Walton wants to be here, surely Walton has a say in this if we can’t agree a fee with Brighton. He can reject a move elsewhere and run his contract down at Brighton.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:13 pm

Can a club make any assurances to players that they will be in the team?

I hope we get him signed up. He’s the best GK well have had here in a decade IMO.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:20 pm

Strange that BB, I was trying to think back earlier today, when i5 was we had , what I’d call a proficient GK at this Club?

A few sprang to mind… they include,
Alexander
Davies
Fulop
Wright

Call me old fashioned, but I like a GK that can
Command his 6yard area,
Come for crosses
Catch the ball
Kick the ball
Organise his back four.

👍