McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

shabba

Re: McKenna - on his future at Ipswich Town.

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 8:39 am

Well said.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 9:02 am

valleyroad wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:34 am
Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:00 am
Yes Andy, a lot of emotion for sure, justified for me. I accept its outsiders doing most of the talking but how long are you prepared to hear all this drivel for? When do you feel we have a right to know the true situation? As Hallam says we have a mega tough season to prepare for and if that includes finding a new manager time is of the essence. Let's get it sorted while Liam Rosenior is still available, no way do I want another David Moyes type dinosaur.
David Moyes ~1250 Premiership matches, Liam Roeseior 0.
Guess who my money would be on keeping Ipswich up ?
Moyes won't get Ipswich job so you can breath easy, not sure management is where he will end up.
Kieron McKenna is a professional football manager to the core not an Ipswich Town supporter.
We had the same nonsense up in Scotland when Brendan Rodgers left Celtic. Utterly embarrassing and entitled supporters.
If he leaves and its a big if, then he should leave with the best of wishes and for Town supporters to be eternally grateful for the job he has done.

whilst this is all true VR... You'd have to have some sympathy for hard pressed Town fans over this . We've finally found ourselves a bloody good manager , who has done absolute wonders ...Its been a dream ride . I know nothing stays the same, and for those involved at club level its "just a job"....But its hard not to feel totally gutted at what might have been had he chose to stay even just one more season and given it a go with us in the PL...

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 am

shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am
Have faith that Ashton will know what he is doing, he will have plans in place etc if KM leaves.

It won't effect recruitment too much - as I said before nobody is moving this early, it would just be early talks and players/agents always hold out to see what other offers come to the table. I don't see the timing of this being bad, its actually as good as it could be under the circumstances as if he goes it'll likely be in the next week or so - which is plenty of time to appoint a new manager and give them time for signings and a pre season etc.
The problem with the recruitment effect is those players who KM has identified as potential targets may not be wanted by a new manager. As Ashton said in one of his interviews as soon as one window closes they are already starting to work on the next one.
The other thing is if McKenna does go he will probably take several of his back room team with him who will need replacing as well.
As I said the other day if KM does go hopefully it will be resolved asap.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 9:27 am

Shed on tour wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:12 am
shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 8:19 am
Have faith that Ashton will know what he is doing, he will have plans in place etc if KM leaves.

It won't effect recruitment too much - as I said before nobody is moving this early, it would just be early talks and players/agents always hold out to see what other offers come to the table. I don't see the timing of this being bad, its actually as good as it could be under the circumstances as if he goes it'll likely be in the next week or so - which is plenty of time to appoint a new manager and give them time for signings and a pre season etc.
The problem with the recruitment effect is those players who KM has identified as potential targets may not be wanted by a new manager. As Ashton said in one of his interviews as soon as one window closes they are already starting to work on the next one.
The other thing is if McKenna does go he will probably take several of his back room team with him who will need replacing as well.
As I said the other day if KM does go hopefully it will be resolved asap.
Yes but I'd imagine they have options, they know roughly what postitions need to be strengthened and have a list of targets. New manager comes in, they say we think this, what do you think, he might adjust slightly but its long gone of the days where a manager just dictates what players they want.
They are more likely to say they want a player in X position with X attributes, who can you find me?

Its also likely the board will appoint a manager with a similar style - so that helps with the targets and they will likely be similar still.

It will be GUTTING as hell if KM leaves of course! He is unreal as a manager and a person.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 23, 2024 9:52 am

We cannot expect KM to have the same feelings about the club that we supporters do. So talk of loyalty and character and greed are totally irrelevent.
Most of us on this forum have supported this club for as long as we can remember; we support ITFC and ITFC alone; the club is a part of us, always has been and always will be.

It's a completely different kettle of fish for KM. He's simply doing a job - granted that most managers live and breathe the club they work for as long as they work for it, but then they move on and the whole cycle starts again. It's called making a living, and I'm sure that many of us have either been head-hunted or moved on anyway throughout our working lives in order for new opportunities and to better ourselves and to earn more money.

Like I said, KM earns his living from football management: he's young and ambitious and wants to go as far as he can in his chosen career whilst he has the chance to do so. He will also - like all of us - want to provide for his family as well as he can.

So I'm sure he has much to weigh up in his own mind, and knowing how analytical he is about football I would not be surprised if he applies that maxim to his day to day life: that explains why he has been so non-commital of late.

I don't know if he will take another position this summer should he be offered one (and at the moment he has been offered nothing), but I certainly would expect him to take as much time as he feels he needs in weighing up his options.

Remember - no one person is ever as big as the club: if he decides that now is the time to go then I will thank him for what we have achieved under his management and wish him well for the future. At the end of the day, we will be playing in the PL next season regardless of who is manager.

Frosty
Forum Owner

Post by Frosty » Thu May 23, 2024 9:59 am

Really good post Rossi

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 10:09 am

If he stays he stays. If he goes he goes. The quicker it's sorted the better. It's been dragging.

It's all about the club. Yes, I badly want him to stay but no-one is bigger than the club.

We have a big summer ahead in terms of recruitment. All about doing well next season. So whoever the manager is get it sorted quickly !

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Thu May 23, 2024 10:17 am

some good post and points being raised on here guys and all valid points of view ... nice one ..

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 10:33 am

Yes there are some good and valid points, I just think it's typical of out luck that the possibility is there for us to finally have another fab manager, one who gets us back to the top flight only to never have the chance to see how we do under his leadership, its never happened before and possibly never will again.

As Rossi says its pretty much about money and making the best of your career while you can and thinking about number One, which I get, to a point. The totally disregard for contracts has always been a major issue for me, not just now because of KM and that Four Years probably meant nothing.

Of course as it stands he has been offered nothing and this could all be horseshit, I hope it is and yes we'll move on and deal with the situation either way. A couple of things we do know is that should he go to Chelsea he'll probably be sacked within Six months and half the Manchester United squad wanted rid of him when he was there before, both would be major risks. As for moving to Brighton, best I don't get started on that.

Just going back to Valleyroad's comments about entitled fans, if you really think any Town fan is entitled after the utter sh*te and dross we have lived through for years you really are so far detached from the club it's untrue. As for Rodgers, he was quick to scurry back to Celtic when it suited.

I suppose at the end of the day I would rather lose McKenna than Ashton, the project will carry on without McKenna but to lose Ashton would bring it to a shuddering halt for a period of time and all continuity lost. I trust in Ashton to deliver us another Gem, if of course that is what is to happen. Hopefully not.

ITFC2024

Post by ITFC2024 » Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:33 am
I suppose at the end of the day I would rather lose McKenna than Ashton, the project will carry on without McKenna but to lose Ashton would bring it to a shuddering halt for a period of time and all continuity lost. I trust in Ashton to deliver us another Gem, if of course that is what is to happen. Hopefully not.
Well said.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am

Bluemike wrote:
Yes there are some good and valid points, I just think it's typical of out luck that the possibility is there for us to finally have another fab manager, one who gets us back to the top flight only to never have the chance to see how we do under his leadership, its never happened before and possibly never will again.

As Rossi says its pretty much about money and making the best of your career while you can and thinking about number One, which I get, to a point. The totally disregard for contracts has always been a major issue for me, not just now because of KM and that Four Years probably meant nothing.

Of course as it stands he has been offered nothing and this could all be horseshit, I hope it is and yes we'll move on and deal with the situation either way. A couple of things we do know is that should he go to Chelsea he'll probably be sacked within Six months and half the Manchester United squad wanted rid of him when he was there before, both would be major risks. As for moving to Brighton, best I don't get started on that.

Just going back to Valleyroad's comments about entitled fans, if you really think any Town fan is entitled after the utter sh*te and dross we have lived through for years you really are so far detached from the club it's untrue. As for Rodgers, he was quick to scurry back to Celtic when it suited.

I meant that of Celtic fans not Ipswich.
Probably came across the wrong way.
Rangers and Celtic fans are the worst believe me.
Ipswich fans I found to be excellent which showed by the number of women going to the match in the 90s.

On Rodgers, Celtic chased him to come back. Dermot Desmond literally begged him and Rodgers went back. Brave decision by him given the venom he was subjected too and in some quarters still is and will always be.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 10:47 am

valleyroad wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 10:38 am
Bluemike wrote:

I meant that of Celtic fans not Ipswich.
Probably came across the wrong way.
Rangers and Celtic fans are the worst believe me.
Ipswich fans I found to be excellent which showed by the number of women going to the match in the 90s.

On Rodgers, Celtic chased him to come back. Dermot Desmond literally begged him and Rodgers went back. Brave decision by him given the venom he was subjected too and in some quarters still is and will always be.
Sorry my mistake, I read it incorrectly.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 11:14 am

rossi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 9:52 am
We cannot expect KM to have the same feelings about the club that we supporters do. So talk of loyalty and character and greed are totally irrelevent.
Most of us on this forum have supported this club for as long as we can remember; we support ITFC and ITFC alone; the club is a part of us, always has been and always will be.

It's a completely different kettle of fish for KM. He's simply doing a job - granted that most managers live and breathe the club they work for as long as they work for it, but then they move on and the whole cycle starts again. It's called making a living, and I'm sure that many of us have either been head-hunted or moved on anyway throughout our working lives in order for new opportunities and to better ourselves and to earn more money.

Like I said, KM earns his living from football management: he's young and ambitious and wants to go as far as he can in his chosen career whilst he has the chance to do so. He will also - like all of us - want to provide for his family as well as he can.

So I'm sure he has much to weigh up in his own mind, and knowing how analytical he is about football I would not be surprised if he applies that maxim to his day to day life: that explains why he has been so non-commital of late.

I don't know if he will take another position this summer should he be offered one (and at the moment he has been offered nothing), but I certainly would expect him to take as much time as he feels he needs in weighing up his options.

Remember - no one person is ever as big as the club: if he decides that now is the time to go then I will thank him for what we have achieved under his management and wish him well for the future. At the end of the day, we will be playing in the PL next season regardless of who is manager.
Brilliant post Rossi!

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 11:19 am

Side note, but it annoys me when people say 'oh they have enough money, they don't need any more, I;d be set up for life tc', thats based on your current situation....trust me these people have huge outgoings.
They live in big houses with big bills, and high upkeep. 'Oh the roof needs doing, that'll be 100k'. I mean even redoing a big kitchen could end up at 100k in some of these big places.
They drive high price cars, with high runninbg costs and high depreciation etc.
They will not travel to 4 star hotels on Jet 2 for a holiday, they will fly privte, 1st class, or at least business class and that really adds up when taking a family on trips in peak time.
They will have kids in private schools, those fee's can be HUGE, and they probably paying for all their relatives kids to also go to these schools.

There lifestyle is not the same and they will be burning through serious money, they might even be putting alot away for investing and the future too, or buying houses, cars, holidays for all their family members and so on - it soon adds up to huge amounts.

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Thu May 23, 2024 11:24 am

shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:19 am
Side note, but it annoys me when people say 'oh they have enough money, they don't need any more, I;d be set up for life tc', thats based on your current situation....trust me these people have huge outgoings.
They live in big houses with big bills, and high upkeep. 'Oh the roof needs doing, that'll be 100k'. I mean even redoing a big kitchen could end up at 100k in some of these big places.
They will not travel to 4 star hotels on Jet 2 for a holiday, they will fly privte, 1st class, or at least business class and that really adds up when taking a family on trips in peak time.
They will have kids in private schools, those fee's can be HUGE, and they probably paying for all their relatives kids to also go to these schools.

There lifestyle is not the same and they will be burning through serious money, they might even be putting alot away for investing and the future too, or buying houses, cars, holidays for all their family members and so on - it soon adds up to huge amounts.
Can i have that life please I'm sure i'll be able to cope with the hardship.
I can see the point your making but come on ?

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 11:35 am

While all is true, I don't think there is anyone denying such things, the one thing I would point out is that we can glean certain things about McKenna's personality. Other than the occasional fillet steak, I cannot imagine he is one for a lavish lifestyle, he seems a very sensible and understated man who is unlikely to live beyond his means (or anywhere near them). I imagine that while money is obviously a huuuuuge factor for just about everyone professionally, I don't think it's his primary motivation.

To me he is a man interested in every aspect of football to an obsessive level, and his progression and career success will be paramount. Currently he has a dressing room and club that would run through walls for him, and if he fails to keep Town up, big deal. If he goes to Brighton... say the squad don't respect him, results go against them early and they find themselves fighting relegation, he's gone and his reputation is damaged. I see a season with Ipswich in the Premier league as a year gaining experience in that division with minimal risk. That could very well be the safer, and even the more positive career move, if he can get Town in to the midfield.

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:35 am
While all is true, I don't think there is anyone denying such things, the one thing I would point out is that we can glean certain things about McKenna's personality. Other than the occasional fillet steak, I cannot imagine he is one for a lavish lifestyle, he seems a very sensible and understated man who is unlikely to live beyond his means (or anywhere near them). I imagine that while money is obviously a huuuuuge factor for just about everyone professionally, I don't think it's his primary motivation.

To me he is a man interested in every aspect of football to an obsessive level, and his progression and career success will be paramount. Currently he has a dressing room and club that would run through walls for him, and if he fails to keep Town up, big deal. If he goes to Brighton... say the squad don't respect him, results go against them early and they find themselves fighting relegation, he's gone and his reputation is damaged. I see a season with Ipswich in the Premier league as a year gaining experience in that division with minimal risk. That could very well be the safer, and even the more positive career move, if he can get Town in to the midfield.
If he stays on and get relegated with us next season it'll damage his reputation too. Different outlooks.

All about his personal choice and it's out of our control. It is all about our club not McKenna.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am

shabba wrote:

Bloody hell Shabba, my heart bleeds for them.

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am

Very valid!

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 11:50 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am
If he stays on and get relegated with us next season it'll damage his reputation too.
Yeah... but not as damaged. Fresh off a comparable relegation, Vincent Kompany looks set to become Bayern Munich manager!!

Mach_Polish_Blue

Post by Mach_Polish_Blue » Thu May 23, 2024 11:51 am

Ricco wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:50 am
Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:46 am
If he stays on and get relegated with us next season it'll damage his reputation too.
Yeah... but not as damaged. Fresh off a comparable relegation, Vincent Kompany looks set to become Bayern Munich manager!!
Kompany's agent what an agent he is :lol:

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 11:59 am

Mach_Polish_Blue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 11:51 am
Kompany's agent what an agent he is :lol:
Tell me about it :lol: the same agent as Antony apparently...

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Thu May 23, 2024 12:34 pm

shabba wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: This is the funniest post of the day so far. :lol:
(I assume you were joking?)

All of what you say is indeed true....... But , a £5M per year for 4 years contract sort of makes most things very affordable. :lol:

But that was a sort of "how the other half live" type of humour, right?

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 12:46 pm

No I was serious, 5m seems alot, and of course it is! but takehome could be almost half of that, and I'd wager it wouldn't be too difficult to spend some big chunks of that if helping to provide for close family- epecially if buying houses as you don't get much for under 500k a pop now. School fees could be easily 100k per 2 kids, holidays big money, cars etc etc.

I just meant to say that even if you earn 1m a year, if someone offers you 2m it's big money and money soon goes no matter what figures.

ashfordblue

Post by ashfordblue » Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 pm

Here are my two penny worth on KM's possible move to Chelsea, the replacement I would see is Mark Robbins from Coventry who's loyal, and knows how to build a strong team as he has proven, You'll all laugh at my choice but there's no better one that I can see at this time.

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Thu May 23, 2024 12:55 pm

shabba wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:46 pm
money soon goes no matter what figures.
Important differentiation though... money CAN soon go no matter what figures, doesn't mean it will, only if you're not smart with it. McKenna strikes me as a smart man.

rossi

Post by rossi » Thu May 23, 2024 1:00 pm

marko69 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:34 pm

All of what you say is indeed true....... But , a £5M per year for 4 years contract sort of makes most things very affordable. :lol:

I don't think Shabba was joking at all - I can quite see what he was getting at.

30 years ago, I had a well paid secure job with a global trading company, earning far more than the UK average at the time and with pretty good yearly bonus too. Then came the IT contractors revolution on the 1990s where contractors were in huge demand and could virtually name their own daily rate. Daily rates were ridiculous, so I joined the bandwagon. But instead of saving the extra money I was making, most of it got swallowed up by living to a higher standard. Once you live at a certain standard, it's very difficult to adjust down.

KM is on good money, but I'm betting he lives to a fairly hgh standard - so much so that my guess is that he has not much more left over from his salary after his expenditure than we do. So any extra income is not to be taken lightly. And don't forget, he'll lose 45% of that 5M per year to HMRC

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 1:02 pm

ashfordblue wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:52 pm
Here are my two penny worth on KM's possible move to Chelsea, the replacement I would see is Mark Robbins from Coventry who's loyal, and knows how to build a strong team as he has proven, You'll all laugh at my choice but there's no better one that I can see at this time.
I'd be up for that, I do rate him highly.

Denny61

Post by Denny61 » Thu May 23, 2024 1:03 pm

shabba wrote:

Your reading too many rich people stories and watching too much crap TV..kardashians ..etc .get a life man ..kieran doesn't strike me as that sort of person. He's humble ..works hard values money and appreciates it and won't let it change him..

shabba

Post by shabba » Thu May 23, 2024 1:04 pm

rossi wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 1:00 pm
marko69 wrote:
Thu May 23, 2024 12:34 pm

I don't think Shabba was joking at all - I can quite see what he was getting at.

30 years ago, I had a well paid secure job with a global trading company, earning far more than the UK average at the time and with pretty good yearly bonus too. Then came the IT contractors revolution on the 1990s where contractors were in huge demand and could virtually name their own daily rate. Daily rates were ridiculous, so I joined the bandwagon. But instead of saving the extra money I was making, most of it got swallowed up by living to a higher standard. Once you live at a certain standard, it's very difficult to adjust down.

KM is on good money, but I'm betting he lives to a fairly hgh standard - so much so that my guess is that he has not much more left over from his salary after his expenditure than we do. So any extra income is not to be taken lightly. And don't forget, he'll lose 45% of that 5M per year to HMRC
You spent it on booze, cars and women - the rest you wasted? ;)