Championship - Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

2nd vs 3rd - A big test?

Ipswich Win
93%
Preston Win
No votes
Draw
7%

Total votes: 15

Frosty
Forum Owner

Championship - Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by Frosty » Thu Oct 05, 2023 8:50 pm

Image Ipswich Town v Preston North End Image

Saturday 7th October 2023 – 15:00

Portman Road

Pre-Match Thoughts - Mike

I love reading all the online stuff following each round of Championship fixtures, a week or so back it was still quite commonly said that "Ipswich had started well but are in a false position", other comments along similar lines afforded us praise for our start to the season while keeping the firm belief we will fall away and while that may or may not prove to be the case the talk is suddenly turning in many quarters, rival fans are now starting to see us as "the real deal" blah blah blah.

Following on from our incredible performance to demolish Hull City Tuesday evening I have read comments from fans of the likes of Leicester, Leeds, Hull, Sheff Wed and dare I say it even Norwich lavishing praise on what we are doing right now, top Six, Automatic, the real deal, you name it, the praise is there and while it is true what Kieran Mckenna says in that we must stay grounded, take each game one at a time and not get to cocky etc you cannot help but think that we are virtually a quarter of the way through the season and are sweeping most of what is presented in front of us away, it is hard not to start to believe that we are going places.

Some of the Football we dished up against Hull was right from the very top drawer and against a team that had started the season in fine form themselves, we really did blow them away, the goals were all excellently worked and converted but for me the second one oozed class and it's not the first time in recent games we have gone from Hladky to Goalscorer with several passes and the opposition not even close to touching the ball, it is quality Football that would not look out of place at any level of the game, the finishes from Burns, Chaplin & Harness were all quality in their own way but Chappers hit in particular had me drooling. Another to heap praise on us was hull boss Liam Rosenior who admitted as good as Hull have been they are some distance behind us with much to do to get to that level, his words were very complimentary of the team and indeed the boss.

I think picking a MOTM Tuesday was nigh on impossible to be fair, just who do you go for ? Chaplin, Burns, Hirst, Harness, Hladky, Edmundson, Williams, Davis, Woolfy, they all stake a claim, that only leaves Morsy & Mass and we know they always deliver. I think it is fair to say we all rolled our eyes at the team sheet but lets be fair here, Edmundson & Harness were excellent and have definitely made things much tougher for KM where team selection is concerned, our bench every week just gets stronger and stronger which is going to set us in good stead for the long slog to come.

The win keeps us in a very healthy place indeed with just Leicester City and all their mega Millions above us by a couple of points, I will take that come May for sure, a few big teams are finding it hard to keep up just now as we blaze a trail, Sunderland trail by Six, WBA (9), Leeds (9), Norwich (9), Southampton (9), Middlesbrough (14), the list goes on and already at that early stage some of those gaps take some making up but as KM has said we have to keep improving to keep us where we have got to, complacency cannot be allowed to creep in and I for One just don't see this bunch allowing that to happen, I cannot impress enough the importance of our style of recruitment when it comes to players fitting in and being of a certain mould, McKenna & Ashton have been brilliant in what they have achieved thus far.

I said after the draw at Huddersfield that we were in an excellent position what with Two home games coming up and that has been born out, Hull could not live with us and next up it is Preston North End's turn to have a go, they started the season very well and led the early table but just lately have found a couple of games really tough, I must be honest having seen us outplay them in pre season I could not understand their good start, I know it was only a friendly but we looked better in every department which is partly why I do not fear coming up against them at Portman Road this weekend even if they do still sit in Third place with twenty points to their name, I don't see them staying there for long no matter what happens Saturday afternoon, they've just shipped Seven goals in Two games and we score for fun so why not be confident.

With an abundance of talent at his disposal Kieran McKenna has a few selection headaches to deal with< does Cameron Burgess return instead of Edmundson, has Harness earned his place or does Broadhead walk back in, did Williams impress more than Clarke and how on earth can Hladky do any more to keep his place over fit again Walton, good problems to have for sure but such is the c*ck-a-hoop feel around the club right now I fully expect whichever Eleven start to be good enough to get the job done with their brand of sexy football. Another Town win for me and still no sign of this dream ending any time soon. COYB'S

The Opposition – Preston North End - Honours

League

First Division
Champions: 1888–89, 1889–90
Runners-up: 1890–91, 1891–92, 1892–93, 1905–06, 1952–53, 1957–58

Second Division / Championship
Champions: 1903–04, 1912–13, 1950–51
Runners-up: 1914–15, 1933–34

Third Division / League One
Champions: 1970–71, 1999–2000
Play-off winners: 2015

Fourth Division / League Two
Champions: 1995–96
Runners-up: 1986–87

Cup

FA Cup
Winners: 1888–89, 1937–38
Runners-up: 1887–88, 1921–22, 1936–37, 1953–54, 1963–64

FA Charity Shield
Runners-up: 1938

Football League War Cup
Winners: 1940–41

Lancashire Senior Cup
Winners (6): 1886–87, 1892–93, 1894–95, 1899–1900, 1938–39, 1996–97

The Manager – Ryan Lowe

League Table as at 5th October 2023

Form Guide

Ipswich Town

16 Sep Sheffield Wed 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

19 Sep Southampton 0 - 1 Ipswich Town

23 Sep Ipswich Town 4 - 3 Blackburn

30 Sep Huddersfield 1 - 1 Ipswich Town

3 Oct Ipswich Town 3 - 0 Hull City

Preston North End

16 Sep Preston 2 - 1 Plymouth

19 Sep Preston 2 - 1 Birmingham City

23 Sep Rotherham 1 - 1 Preston

30 Sep Preston 0 - 4 West Brom

4 Oct Leicester City 3 - 0 Preston

Head to Head

Match Referee – David Webb

IPSWICH TOWN 2 PRESTON NORTH END 1

JohnnyB

Re: Championship - Ipswich Town vs Preston North End Preview & Matchday Thread

Post by JohnnyB » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:25 am

Thanks as always for the excellent preview Mike.

For those of us who don't live in Suffolk (I'm back in Brighton after three years in the east) what's noticable is how everyday folk are now commenting and heaping praise on McK and the team. Amazing after years of looks somewhere between derision and pity when you mentioned you were a Town fan, it's a refreshing change!

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 1:25 pm

Haven’t kept finger on pulse of PNE results……, lost 4-0 & 3-0 past two games? 🤔 Hmmm. They’ll be looking to correct that asap. Could be a very interesting encounter.

Nice preview and it is nice to have fans of other clubs waxing lyrical. I’d personally be very wary of having a “ok who’s next?” type approach. That has masses of potential to go mams north. Winter (for me) is where the season can be determined. Injuries on soft, greasy surfaces separates the loaded depth clubs from the rest. Praying Ipswich keep it going and the strength in depth can see the club through Oct, Nov, Dec…… Dec16th can’t come quick enough really, (with THIS group of starters)
Prediction…… because this is the prediction guru genius here…….. go for PNE to end their mini goal drought with 1 goal, but Chaplin to bag a brace and Hirst with the other……… 3-1 ITFC. The road towards the EPL, Top 7 finishes, Europa league qualifiers & group stages continues. 👍👌

Caption:

Ref: “Ryan, there is the one Preston fan over there.”
Ryan Lowe: “Oh yeah. HI MATE. THANKS FOR BEING HERE.”

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 06, 2023 2:49 pm

I’ve gone for a win but it really wouldn’t surprise me if it ends in a draw. PNE are no mugs and will be a difficult nut to crack ( can see them sitting back and trying to hit us on the break). Early Town goal very much needed …

valleyroad

Post by valleyroad » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:32 pm

Town can really make a big statement by beating Preston.
With home advantage I'd favour Town but Preston will be looking to get something after losing to Leicester.
People talk about McKenna and rightly so but how good a manager is Ryan Lowe shaping up to be.
Outstanding job at Plymouth and doing similar work at Preston

shabba

Post by shabba » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:34 pm

I can see them coming here and doing a low-block, so might be a tight one.

With that in mind we might see some changes, possible line-up:

Hladky (you really cannot drop him)

Williams (altough no suprise if Clarke starts)
Burges
Woflie
Davis

Morsy
Taylor (suspect Masimo might get a rest and Taylor might suit the low block of preston)

Hutchinson (burns was good in the week but surely Omari is really banging on the door now for starts, he is immense on the right)
Chaplin
Harness (do you drop him after 2 good games, maybe Broadhead comes in if fit and does 60mins).

Hirst (again this is tricky, might be a game for suited to Ladapo, but in pre season Hirst was v good against Preston and his all round game is better than Ladapo).

Alot of (nice) selection headaches for the manager to have. What do you all think?

jimmyt

Post by jimmyt » Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:58 pm

shabba wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 3:34 pm
I can see them coming here and doing a low-block, so might be a tight one.

With that in mind we might see some changes, possible line-up:

Hladky (you really cannot drop him)

Williams (altough no suprise if Clarke starts)
Burges
Woflie
Davis

Morsy
Taylor (suspect Masimo might get a rest and Taylor might suit the low block of preston)

Hutchinson (burns was good in the week but surely Omari is really banging on the door now for starts, he is immense on the right)
Chaplin
Harness (do you drop him after 2 good games, maybe Broadhead comes in if fit and does 60mins).

Hirst (again this is tricky, might be a game for suited to Ladapo, but in pre season Hirst was v good against Preston and his all round game is better than Ladapo).

Alot of (nice) selection headaches for the manager to have. What do you all think?
Yes interesting and Broadhead is apparently 'passed fit'. I think perhaps Harness to start but give Broadhead 30mins?

I'd start Williams, Luongo, and Burns. With Taylor and Hutchinson. second half subs.

And yes, for me without doubt Vaz stays.

It's a tough call with Burgess as Edmundson was excellent on Saturday. But I agree with Burgess to start.

The rest as you have them Shabba.

I think in any combination we'll be too strong for PNE.

2-0

COYB

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Fri Oct 06, 2023 4:32 pm

I don’t think Broadhead actually recovered from that Quads injury in that Luton pre season friendly. I bet he tore a muscle

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:15 pm

My line up is..

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Hirst

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:19 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:15 pm
My line up is..

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Hirst
I am never up to speed with who makes way for who......., but if Hutchy was to be included, who would have to make way from your line-up there?

BlueBalls

Post by BlueBalls » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:34 pm

Hutchinson for Burns and then that's spot on.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:45 pm

marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
My line up is..

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Hirst
I am never up to speed with who makes way for who......., but if Hutchy was to be included, who would have to make way from your line-up there?
Burns which isn't gonna happen on Burns current form

BlueBalls

Post by BlueBalls » Fri Oct 06, 2023 8:48 pm

Current form? He's been sh*t all season until Tuesday

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:39 pm

That's your opinion but a pretty stupid one

Andym

Post by Andym » Fri Oct 06, 2023 9:43 pm

My main concern is that we work so hard every match that is hard to do it Saturday - Tuesday - Saturday. I never thought I’d feel that way, I used to think footballers should be able to play every day. But the demands of the modern game are enormous. On Tuesday we were superb (helped by an early goal) and I think it might have taken its toll.
Hoping for a win obviously but I think it will be a very difficult game.

arana peligrosa

Post by arana peligrosa » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:33 am

This should have been the 2005 Play-off Final but in any event voted to win. We score goals almost at will and few teams in the division have as many attacking alternatives as ourselves and the proficiency to take chances that arise. If we win we'll be eight points clear of them.

There could be, over time, a gap that emerges between the top two and the chasing pack directly below but all dependant on eventual scores and form. Believe we'll win 3 - 2. Crazy things happen at Portman Road, we've seen 4 -3's and opposition teams scoring heavily.

Don't know much or any of their players but they've obviously put something together thus far and should prove tricky. Don't think they're by any means a promotion favorite despite the start whereas we ourselves can only rise and become stronger, more established once again etc.

number 9

Post by number 9 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:20 am

Bluemike wrote:
My line up is..

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Hirst
Agree with that, but don’t be surprised if Edmundson gets another start.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:01 am

Gonna go with the 'established first team' as starters

Walton

Clarke
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

mind you, my predictive powers are self-evident.

Charnwood
Global Moderator

Post by Charnwood » Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:44 am

I watched the Leicester v Preston game on Wednesday night and Preston have a style of play that is very good at frustrating their opponents and limiting opportunities. Leicester had more than 75% possession but had only a few more shots on goal than Preston and needed to be ruthless in front of goal to get their 3-0 win scoring 3 from only 4 shots on target. You could certainly see why Preston score and concede so few goals ( F13 A13 ) and you certainly wouldn’t want to watch them every week.

I think we’re in for a frustrating afternoon but hopefully we have enough fire power to win but I’m not expecting a goal fest.

hallamblue

Post by hallamblue » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:02 am

Did they remind you of a McCarthy “ men behind the ball rarely venturing over the half way line with any real sustained attacking intent unless on the break.”?

Possessions stats means nothing really does it, especially if your opponent is happy to sit back and let you have it 🤷‍♀️.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 07, 2023 9:11 am

West Brom didn't have too many problems.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:28 am

Charnwood wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:44 am
I watched the Leicester v Preston game on Wednesday night.
I watched the (extended) EFL highlights of this game and have to say the earlier key moments Preston looked as though they fashioned the better chances. It certainly made me think about my prediction league score for this weekend! I guess I was feeling c*ck-a-hoop after our brilliant performance against Hull, coupled with Preston's recent inability to score, while conceding almost for fun! I was going to go for a 5-0 Town win (you read it here first,if it does actually happen :lol: ). On reflection a much closer scoreline of 2-0 was perhaps a wiser option (says the guy who scored a single point last weekend!!).

rossi

Post by rossi » Sat Oct 07, 2023 10:42 am

Bluemike wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 7:45 pm
marko69 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2023 6:19 pm
Bluemike wrote:
My line up is..

Hladky

Williams
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Harness

Hirst
Burns which isn't gonna happen on Burns current form
You're probably right, Mike, because KM seems pretty keen on Burns.
Burns played well on Tuesday, but as many have already said, Preston will probably try to block us all game so we need somebody with real skill to open them up and in my opinion Hutchinson has more skill than Burns.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:02 am

Yep, I can see Hutchinson getting at least 30 mins if things aren't going smoothly.

Shed on tour

Post by Shed on tour » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:07 am

Due to unforeseen circumstances won’t be in my usual seat in SBR lower today but in with the cardboard cut outs in SAR lower (no offence meant to anybody on here who sits there :lol:).
Will have to be on my best behaviour then but it will seem strange actually sitting down at a home game.

Bluemike
Global Moderator

Post by Bluemike » Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:27 am

Mauswara wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 6:01 am

Walton

Clarke
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

Not gonna lie, I'll be well pissed off if Walton is in.

Mauswara

Post by Mauswara » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:28 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:27 am
Mauswara wrote:

Walton

Clarke
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

No.1 1 keeper is fit.

If it comes to keeping a clean sheet then I feel happier with Walton.

Playing it out from the back, Hladky is so good.

End of the day keeper's job is to keep the ball out of the onion bag.

AzzurroMark

Post by AzzurroMark » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:53 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Mauswara wrote:

Walton

Clarke
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

Agreed Mike. I'd give Walton his first run out in the cup against Fulham and not before, subject to injury or severe loss of form for Hladky.

marko69
Global Moderator

Post by marko69 » Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:56 pm

AzzurroMark wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2023 12:53 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Mauswara wrote:

Walton

Clarke
Woolfy
Burgess
Davis

Morsy
Luongo

Burns
Chaplin
Broadhead

Hirst

Agreed Mike. I'd give Walton his first run out in the cup against Fulham and not before, subject to injury or severe loss of form for Hladky.
X3

Ricco

Post by Ricco » Sat Oct 07, 2023 1:02 pm

Walton and Clarke no chance in my opinion.