Flynn Downes

Here you can chat about everything and anything related to ITFC and other football issues. This forum also hosts the now Internationally famous TB.com ITFC match previews which contain insightful pre-match thoughts, previous highlights, news links relating to Town, form guides and other bits and pieces. Feel free to discuss meet ups/travel plans in here as well.

Moderators: marko69, Bluemike, Charnwood

Post Reply
User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:28 pm

Asked whether Downes has refused to play, Taylor said: “I think there’s a discussion there between the manager and Flynn, which I don’t think I should be saying anything at this moment in time about. I think that’s something for Flynn and the manager and the club to speak about.
Reading that I would say there is far more to this than meets the eye, the article also states they are trying to get his head back in the right frame of mind after it was got at by outside sources, I can't see anyway at all he will play for us again so 7 million please or jog on.

User avatar
Andym
Posts: 4451
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:47 pm
Location: Mid Suffolk

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Andym » Tue Sep 15, 2020 12:43 pm

If no one matches our valuation, we have 2 choices; sell him cheap or continue to pay his wages. It can't go on forever having a player on the wage bill and not playing him.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:19 pm

This is beginning to p*ss me off. Sure I get the lad wants to move up in the world, but he’s still an Ipswich player. If I was Lambert, I’d tell Downes to get on the fuckin pitch and play for the club that developed you...or we won’t take even 10mil for you! There should be a buy out clause in every contract, so at least the fee won’t be a mystery.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 1:45 pm

If he has refused to play I kind of agree No9.

hallamblue
Posts: 25109
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:37 pm

I think FD has thrown his toys out of the roam quite honestly. Which is why I say play him in the U23’s . He has no place in the first team now. He has zero commitment to this Club and has turned his back on the Club that has developed him and his team mates too. Arrogant sod. ( I base that last comment on things I’ve heard about him from someone who’s felt with him personally. Suffice to say He’s not the Mr Nice guy people might think he is ). Our Club have spent a lot of money on developing him to the level he is now, and rightly want a return on their investment. What message would it send out to players that have committed themselves to Town but can’t get in the team ahead of him? And all things considered , Downes has achieved also nothing to date. I’m not impressed with him one bit, sorry.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18375
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:18 pm

Come on guys n gals, that’s not really fair at all. I think when Lambo & Downes both are a bit clearer with the media on what’s going on, probably best to be less scathing towards him. Might be something more serious like depression.
I’ve witnessed one Flynn Downes interview in the past and was very impressed with his maturity for his age. Saw no arrogance at all.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Mevans is stirring the pot.
“He’s our biggest asset, should we be playing him in this sh*te league? Heard we could get 7 or 8 mill?”

Lambo and Downes could both be in a predicament. Just playing devils advocate. Granted, arguably, a large percentage of footballers are d!cks, but not all.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by number 9 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:44 pm

If Downes wanted to play, I can't imagine that Lambert wouldn't let him play.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm

yea Marko, that's why I said "if" he's refused to play.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18375
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by marko69 » Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm
yea Marko, that's why I said "if" he's refused to play.
Maybe its as simple as Flynn not wanting to see his own world class through balls being fed to Freddie Sears?

"Am bustin' a gut here and he's bustin' seat 48 in Row T, Paul!"

You think Freddie was aiming for seat 48? Because that's impressive.

hallamblue
Posts: 25109
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 6:02 am

Lol 😂

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 am

marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm
yea Marko, that's why I said "if" he's refused to play.
Maybe its as simple as Flynn not wanting to see his own world class through balls being fed to Freddie Sears?

"Am bustin' a gut here and he's bustin' seat 48 in Row T, Paul!"

You think Freddie was aiming for seat 48? Because that's impressive.
LOL, looking at his limp free kicks there is no way he'd reach row T

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4502
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Dubai Blue » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 am

I'm guessing his agent has told him not to risk injury while there are discussions going on with Prem clubs. I'm not sure we will see him on the pitch again until after the window closes.

No doubt I'll be proved wrong tonight though.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18375
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 16, 2020 1:03 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 7:42 am
marko69 wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:36 pm
Bluemike wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:45 pm
yea Marko, that's why I said "if" he's refused to play.
Maybe its as simple as Flynn not wanting to see his own world class through balls being fed to Freddie Sears?

"Am bustin' a gut here and he's bustin' seat 48 in Row T, Paul!"

You think Freddie was aiming for seat 48? Because that's impressive.
LOL, looking at his limp free kicks there is no way he'd reach row T
:lol: Yes, since witnessed those. Dear God. Hopefully that's been discussed.

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by derick_ipsw » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:23 am

Dubai Blue wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:42 am
I'm guessing his agent has told him not to risk injury while there are discussions going on with Prem clubs. I'm not sure we will see him on the pitch again until after the window closes.

No doubt I'll be proved wrong tonight though.
Your right DB he came on as sub against Fulham.

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:39 am

I was proved wrong too, it happens

User avatar
Dubai Blue
Posts: 4502
Joined: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:18 pm
Location: Dubai, UAE

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Dubai Blue » Thu Sep 17, 2020 3:38 pm

Let's hope he's in the right frame of mind to contribute some more. How was his performance last night?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:53 pm

Didn't really do a lot tbh.

hallamblue
Posts: 25109
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by hallamblue » Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:37 am

Given how the midfield is currently playing , I’d say Mr Downes will have a fight on his hands to get back in the side. I think Dozzell and Nolan compliment one another . The major question I have will be Bishops fitness hold up over a run of games. But if he gets injured again, can Downes play in a midfield with Dozzell and Nolan?

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by derick_ipsw » Mon Sep 21, 2020 9:54 pm

Downes will be back in as soon as PL thinks it is right whether that is right or wrong.

hallamblue
Posts: 25109
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by hallamblue » Tue Sep 22, 2020 7:31 am

Do you think it’s right or wrong though ?

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm

I think it's right to play him. The club are paying his wages he is Town player. I would play him before Dozzell all day long.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm
I think it's right to play him. The club are paying his wages he is Town player. I would play him before Dozzell all day long.
Hasn't Dozzell been the main play maker this season? I think we need Downes and Dozzell in the team. Or, who would you choose to be the play maker? Should we have Bishop and Downes in the same 11? Where does Nolan fall in? Should Judge be starting?

User avatar
derick_ipsw
Posts: 3376
Joined: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:59 pm
Location: CHESTER

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by derick_ipsw » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 pm

number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm
I think it's right to play him. The club are paying his wages he is Town player. I would play him before Dozzell all day long.
Hasn't Dozzell been the main play maker this season? I think we need Downes and Dozzell in the team. Or, who would you choose to be the play maker? Should we have Bishop and Downes in the same 11? Where does Nolan fall in? Should Judge be starting?
Sorry 9 I just don't get it with Dozzell at all. Playmaker? Really, does not do enough for me. Nolan , Bishop and Downes is a better a 3 for me .As for Judge to inconsistent I'm afraid.

User avatar
number 9
Posts: 3028
Joined: Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by number 9 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:27 pm

derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:00 pm
number 9 wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:38 pm
derick_ipsw wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 6:02 pm
I think it's right to play him. The club are paying his wages he is Town player. I would play him before Dozzell all day long.
Hasn't Dozzell been the main play maker this season? I think we need Downes and Dozzell in the team. Or, who would you choose to be the play maker? Should we have Bishop and Downes in the same 11? Where does Nolan fall in? Should Judge be starting?
Sorry 9 I just don't get it with Dozzell at all. Playmaker? Really, does not do enough for me. Nolan , Bishop and Downes is a better a 3 for me .As for Judge to inconsistent I'm afraid.
Fair enough. From what I've seen, Dozzell seems to have good vision going forward. His passing may not directly result in a goal attempt, but he begins attacks. I still think he's a bit light weight, but that vision is in invaluable and I don't see anyone else doing it. Judge can be a great playmaker, but as you say he's too inconsistent. Bishop and Downes are the dynamos of midfield and maybe they should be rotated. Nolan for me is a bit inconsistent too...so maybe Judge and Nolan should be rotated.

User avatar
marko69
Global Moderator
Posts: 18375
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 am
Location: Somewhere between here and there.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by marko69 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:31 pm

The gamble with Bishop though is will there a be another long term injury in the weeks ahead. It's not even as if that is tempting fate ---> it happens. Can only go on both press and fans reports and Dozzell sounds like he's at least making the most of his opportunity.

What is it you're not liking, Deeko......, is he a lightweight? Meaning, it's a good thing he has that decent pass at the right time because the ball would be wrestled from him 2 seconds later?

User avatar
Bluemike
Global Moderator
Posts: 22369
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 5:26 pm
Location: Ipswich

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by Bluemike » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 pm

Downes is the best player we ahave at the club, however I am a great believer in playing in form players and at present that has to be Dozzell, Nolan and to a lesser degree Bishop, Downes will still probably be away at some point so I don't agree he should be a starter at the moment. As for Judge, no thank you.

tangfastic
Posts: 3020
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:52 am

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by tangfastic » Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:43 pm

If Downes comes in .... I’d say it would be at the expense of Bishop.

Bishop was off his game last Saturday and he’s only good if he’s running at defenders. No good otherwise. Maybe offers something better from the bench if we need him.

Wouldn’t surprise if Lambert persists with Bishop, Dozzell and Nolan for the time being.

hallamblue
Posts: 25109
Joined: Sun Mar 21, 2004 3:30 pm
Location: Ipswich Town F.C.

Re: Flynn Downes

Post by hallamblue » Wed Sep 23, 2020 9:41 pm

Bluemike wrote:
Wed Sep 23, 2020 7:38 pm
Downes is the best player we ahave at the club, however I am a great believer in playing in form players and at present that has to be Dozzell, Nolan and to a lesser degree Bishop, Downes will still probably be away at some point so I don't agree he should be a starter at the moment. As for Judge, no thank you.
Agree totally with this ^^^

Post Reply